Sign in to follow this  
millsart

Got my hands on the new "50mm" Q

For those who wanted a 40-50mm focal length Q....

This is a 1.5x conversion lens, with a huge front element so no loss of light. It nearly covers the entire frame with just a touch of softness and moderate vignetting into the corners. Not sure exactly what it was even designed for, video maybe ? Its a beast with a 82mm front element.

Where things get interesting is when you pull up the 35mm frame lines on the Q, which are basically a 1.25x crop of the sensor. 28mm x1.5 = 42mm, which then with the 1.25x crop takes care of the extreme corners and gives a usable FoV of 52mm.

So essentially we've got a 42mm/f1.7 lens, on a 1.25x APS-H 15meg sensor, and I think I paid $9 for this conversion lens ages ago, so not a bad deal!

Also if we go to the 50mm frame lines, which are a 1.8x crop, we get a 8meg 75mm equiv FoV, which again is kind of cool for a $9 conversion lens.

Will I actually use it that much ? Probably not but its a bit interesting and does add some versatility for the cost of lunch.

Would be curious to see if Leica actually introduce any conversion lenses along the lines of the Fuji X100 TCL-100

If Lieca would produce a pair of conversions n lenses similar to the Fuji's I would be over the moon. Thanks for sharing that, maybe you could post a couple of photos. 

That is very interesting but I wonder how much stress it would put on the lens and threads......

Certainly a concern I had as well, and I've certainly kept a left hand on the adapter, though the mount feels quite solid. One just doesn't know if the mount or threads was intended to bear any weight.....

I'm a bit curious to try the Fuji TCL-100 as its just 6 ounces so a bit lighter weight.  It was only designed for a 23mm APS-C lens/sensor though so I don't know how well it would work optically, in addition to it costing a few hundred bucks. Perhaps not actually worth it for just a 1.4x gain...

Haha. What a find! I, too, wonder about the stress on the lens threads, which seem pretty minimal. 

most interesting stuff! Thanks for posting this discovery.

Actually that would be better than 50mm: 40mm

I liked the combination on my first camera the Leica Cl :28mm, 40mm and 90mm.

Only would it be possible to make a converter without significant loss optical quality?

If Lieca would produce a pair of conversions n lenses similar to the Fuji's I would be over the moon. Thanks for sharing that, maybe you could post a couple of photos. 

I am not sure I want to be there 

Just for fun, here are some sample pics with the conversion lens on/off, using the 50mm equiv crop, and just out of camera jpegs

First the bare 28mm lens, at f1.7, cropped to 50mm

Next the 50mm equiv crop, with the conversion lens, which should give something along the lines of a 75mm equiv FoV

Seems to exhibit a bit of odd field curvature with regards to the areas of focus transition on some subjects I've found

With regards to sharpness, at least in the very center of the frame, the conversion lens holds up well

center crop of bare lens

and center crop with conversion lens (which I realize I mistakenly downsized a little to match the same of the other file, but still gives you enough of an idea of image quality for our purposes here)  If anything, I think it does give a bit better overall IQ as its more pixels to work with, which lets face it, when we are using a 50mm equiv crop, is getting a bit short on resolution

Edited by millsart

Finally, just for comparison, here is roughly the same framing using a 42.5mm f1.7 lens, on a m4/3 camera

and a crop of that center

Long story short; I don't know if its really all that practical to actually carry this thing around, although it actually does balance really well on the camera.

Its not really that massive of increase in reach, and involves a lot of compromise, more to carry etc.   If you really need 50mm or longer, answer is carrying a different or additional camera with you, no doubt about it.

At the same time though, I think the results are a bit better than without, provided you wanted as much reach as possible out of the Q.  You could either crop the bare lens down to say 5 megs to get a 75mm equiv framing, or you could use the conversion lens, and get 75mm equiv framing while still having 8 megs.  Either way its a less than ideal situation and starting with a 28mm lens is the problem lol.

Just the same, for $9 its not awful.

More so, I think there really could be potential for a high quality conversion lens, designed specifically for the Q, and with a firmware update to apply the required corrections, which could yield some pretty decent IQ.