M4 Black Paint

jcraf

Sorry, here is my complete answer. Many photographers operating on warfields used to engrave their social security number on their camera. In case of death this could be an important clue to find the identity of the owner. Only the state services could access this information, including the military services.

I had in my collection a Nikon S3 black with this same type of number engraved on the sole. I tried to have the identity of the owner with the American services without success. 

1 hour ago, dubois pierre said:

Social Security Number: 169-32-6918

This is most likely the social security number of the last American owner who resided in Pennsylvania. Social Security Number for Pennsylvania 159-211. This camera may have belonged to a famous photographer but this number remains secret and no American office will give you the identity of this person.

The SSN, on the other hand, has mainly an identification role in the United States. Composed of nine digits: the first 3 corresponding to the geographical area where you requested it, the 2 chosen arbitrarily and the last 4, your serial number; it is a unique and confidential registration number.

Thanks for the information about this SSN.  This owner had to be a serious photographer to have brassed a BP camera like that.

Edited by A. Cheng