M3 Timer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm sure this will have been raised before, but a search doesn't show it to me.

How does the timer on the M3 work, step-by-step.

I've focused the lens....do I press the shutter?  the little button?  both? 

before I waste too many shots trying different ideas, and then having to wait a while for the pics.....

many thanks

Edited by kentishrev

Hello Kentishrev,

Welcome to the Forum.

M3 timers can be somewhat varied because there were a number of iterations of the M3. Just as there have been a number of iterations of various other film M's.

Generally, you have to turn the self timer about 90 degrees before it will lock into place to be able to function.

If you turn it less than that the timer will probably run back to the top without the mechanism engaging.

Also: 

You can wind the self timer to the point of initial engagement & beyond & then simply not use it.

Just wind the shutter (Before or after engaging the self timer mechanism @ approximately 90 degrees or further.) and then take a picture with the REGULAR shutter release. NOT by pushing the little button behind the engaging lever.

Also:

Some M3's allow you (After winding to the engagement point or beyond.) to simply turn the engaging lever back to the top either after pushing the little button behind it OR, if you simply decide to not use the self timer right then: You can often just push the little lever back to its resting position.

Also: 

If you decide NOT to use the self timer after setting it: You can simply take the photo with the regular shutter release & then AFTER the exposure is ENTIRELY completed you can simply push the little button & let the no longer needed self timer run down to its "Internal Resting" position.

Another thought about some M3's:

Camera on tripod: If you set the shutter to "B" & wind the self timer (As above.) & wind the shutter normally & then push the little button: The timer will run down. Then the camera will open the shutter. For an APPROXIMATELY (You need to measure this yourself) 3 second exposure. And then the the shutter will close itself.

Nifty.

By the way: NEVER try to change the shutter speed while you can still hear any operating sounds from the shutter or the self timer. Regardless of which shutter speed is set.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use mine all the time.  Especially when I have a tripod or other flat surface to lay the camera and am using a slow shutter.  The self timer minimizes camera shake.  It is a great feature if you don't forget it is there.  I also use it on my IIIg.

Here are a couple from lower Manhattan.  Just playing around with the motion of the commuters...  I didn't have a tripod and just laid the camera on the nearest flat surface that I could find...

M3, 28mm summaron, Portra 400

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I use mine all the time.  Especially when I have a tripod or other flat surface to lay the camera and am using a slow shutter.  The self timer minimizes camera shake.  It is a great feature if you don't forget it is there.  I also use it on my IIIg.

Here are a couple from lower Manhattan.  Just playing around with the motion of the commuters...  I didn't have a tripod and just laid the camera on the nearest flat surface that I could find...

M3, 28mm summaron, Portra 400

attachicon.gifselftimer-1.jpg

attachicon.gifselftimer-2.jpg

Nice idea, thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

OK, first roll of film used by me in my new Leica is back.  And here is the selfie this wonderful timer allowed me to take (after six failures - so thank you for the advice and assistance!).  Very pleased with the focus and exposure in low light, even if I do say so myself!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hello Kentishrev,

Welcome to the Forum.

M3 timers can be somewhat varied because there were a number of iterations of the M3. Just as there have been a number of iterations of various other film M's.

Generally, you have to turn the self timer about 90 degrees before it will lock into place to be able to function.

If you turn it less than that the timer will probably run back to the top without the mechanism engaging.

Also: 

You can wind the self timer to the point of initial engagement & beyond & then simply not use it.

Just wind the shutter (Before or after engaging the self timer mechanism @ approximately 90 degrees or further.) and then take a picture with the REGULAR shutter release. NOT by pushing the little button behind the engaging lever.

Also:

Some M3's allow you (After winding to the engagement point or beyond.) to simply turn the engaging lever back to the top either after pushing the little button behind it OR, if you simply decide to not use the self timer right then: You can often just push the little lever back to its resting position.

Also: 

If you decide NOT to use the self timer after setting it: You can simply take the photo with the regular shutter release & then AFTER the exposure is ENTIRELY completed you can simply push the little button & let the no longer needed self timer run down to its "Internal Resting" position.

Another thought about some M3's:

Camera on tripod: If you set the shutter to "B" & wind the self timer (As above.) & wind the shutter normally & then push the little button: The timer will run down. Then the camera will open the shutter. For an APPROXIMATELY (You need to measure this yourself) 3 second exposure. And then the the shutter will close itself.

Nifty.

By the way: NEVER try to change the shutter speed while you can still hear any operating sounds from the shutter or the self timer. Regardless of which shutter speed is set.

Best Regards,

Michael

This information is very useful.  Most of it does not appear in my M3 manual.  Thank you!

• Like 1