Complementary travel camera along with the Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree with the original post in this thread. In fact, I'm travelling again in a few weeks, and I'll be taking my Q, my 109, and a Canon M6. Here's why:

The Q is too big for some of the cramped seats in economy. Sometimes there's something unbelievable out of the window, or on my meal tray.

For evening dinners with my wife, I prefer not to have a chunky camera sitting on the table with me. Or rather, I don't mind, but she does!

The Q, for better or worse, is stuck with a 28mm lens. Sometimes when travelling, you need more range.

I've previously travelled with a wide variety of cameras, mostly Canons and Olympodes, and I've always had one smaller camera as a back up to my main OMD EM1. Something that fits in a belt pouch or jacket pocket. Something that takes good photos and I'm comfortable with.

I've written at some length about the perfect travel camera - for me - and the dot points are:
• Excellent lens, with a good range in both aperture and focal distance
• Small and light
• Controls and functions aimed at the serious photographer
• Wifi
• EVF for bright sunlight and to compose and shoot with a good solid stance.

If falls short in two aspects.
• There is no tilting screen. Sometimes I need to shoot high or low - or make a selfie.
• Cost. Other cameras - especially the Panny LX100 - have similar features but are a good deal cheaper. 

I'm taking a third camera - my Canon M6 - because I'll be spending three nights on Santorini, and it's going to drive me batty if I don't have a decent telephoto. The M series 55-200mm lens is small and sharp, and the camera itself is about as big as the 109.

35925669032_16f79be1bc_c.jpg

Edited by Skyring
  • Like 1

When traveling by air  I usually have space under the seat in front of me for both my feet and a small rucksack containing my Q.  I find the Q to work as well as can be expected pointing out aircraft windows.

p-171660919-2730.jpg

Leaving San Franciso

My M was in the same bag as the Q.

Edited by marchyman
  • Like 1

When traveling by air  I usually have space under the seat in front of me for both my feet and a small rucksack containing my Q.  I find the Q to work as well as can be expected pointing out aircraft windows.

My M was in the same bag as the Q.

I used to do something like that, but my trips usually involve long-haul, I'm a reasonably tall guy, and when I'm travelling economy I need that room under the seat ahead!

San Francisco is something like seventeen hours travel for me, and I need a bit of a kip along the way.

Cropping the Q's images works quite well, but there are still limitations. I'm a bit of a planespotter nerd, and I do like a bit of range at the airport.

Excellent shot of one of my favourite cities, by the way. This sort of thing is why I ask for a window seat.

My travel companion kit is a Sony A7ii and a variety of legacy lenses, mostly from Zeiss and Leica. Also some great Voigtlanders. The funny thing is that almost all of these lenses are MF only. I also have an RX1. Since I got a Q about 4 months ago, the A7ii has gotten little use, mainly for family portraiture, and the RX1 has gotten none. The Q is so much fun and has such great IQ, that I find myself drawn to it irresistibly. Probably I need more balance in my photography life.

Edited by robgo2

My travel companion kit is a Sony A7ii and a variety of legacy lenses, mostly from Zeiss and Leica. Also some great Voigtlanders. The funny thing is that almost all of these lenses are MF only. I also have an RX1. Since I got a Q about 4 months ago, the A7ii has gotten little use, mainly for family portraiture, and the RX1 has gotten none. The Q is so much fun and has such great IQ, that I find myself drawn to it irresistibly. Probably I need more balance in my photography life.

The A7 series has always been tempting - a full-frame mirrorless interchangeable - but I can't help but feel that these cameras were designed by technerds. They don't sing to me in the way that the elegant - and, as you say, fun - Q does. 

Your A7ii setup sounds like it's flexible enough to cover the Q's coverage gaps. Would you be packing them both for travel?

The A7 series has always been tempting - a full-frame mirrorless interchangeable - but I can't help but feel that these cameras were designed by technerds. They don't sing to me in the way that the elegant - and, as you say, fun - Q does. 

Your A7ii setup sounds like it's flexible enough to cover the Q's coverage gaps. Would you be packing them both for travel?

Would I be packing them both for travel? That depends on the type of travel. If I am going to a city or a family event and want to carry as little as possible, the Q is all that I will bring. However, if I plan to do portraits or need longer lenses for other purposes, then I will likely also bring the A7ii plus any of the following: CV 50/1.5 VM, Summarit-M 75/2.5 and Summicron-M 90/2 (Pre-ASPH), which I consider to be one of the ultimate portrait lenses. All of the above, including the Q, fit into a fairly compact Think Tank Streetwalker backpack for carrying on a plane or in a car. When I am out on the street, I use a Domke shoulder bag to carry either the Q or the Sony with one or two lenses. I hate being burdened by a heavy load when I am out shooting. For me, that would take the fun out of photography.

BTW, it has taken me a while to get used to the 28mm focal length, but I have become very fond of it and have even gotten some excellent portraits. This extends the usefulness of the Q, which explains why I am tending to favor it over the A7ii.

Edited by robgo2
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wow!  Quite a thread.  you are probably back from your trip by now!  

I received my Q three days before a trip to Scotland.  I just returned.  It was the only camera I carried.  i like traveling light.  I usually had my Fuji X-E2 with the 40mm equivalent lens (for 20 years i only carried a Leica M-6 and a 50mm1.4).  So, carrying one lens/one focal length was not an issue, but it being a 28mm was a challenge!  I say this in a good way.  I still believe a fixed lens helps you "focus" more on the image you are talking.  But that's me.  And my old school prejudice of the quality of zoom lenses v. fixed, which I know is much less of an issue today.

Last year I went traveling when i knew we would be in a car, so i took the Fuji with a telephoto lens as well as the 40mm (lots of wildlife), and a second pocket camera, which i almost took to Scotland.  if you are just looking for a second pocket camera I recommend it highly, the Canon Gx9 with a 1" sensor.  great pocket camera.  : )

Oh, I just posted a few Q images from Scotland on my website: http://www.visualquotations.com/Scotland/index.html

Cheers!

Munene

• Like 3

The best complimentary camera to the Q is the GX8 + 42.5 f1.2 Nocticron. Both cameras share the same battery and the same lightning-quick AF. The 28mm/85mm FOV makes it a perfect combo for weddings and events.

I also have a M10 and X-T2 but I never carry them with my Q. They aren't really complimentary to the Q.

Edited by Mr.Q
  • Like 1

The best complimentary camera to the Q is the GX8 + 42.5 f1.2 Nocticron. Both cameras share the same battery and the same lightning-quick AF. The 28mm/85mm FOV makes it a perfect combo for weddings and events.

Sharing the same battery is a BIG plus for travel. On looking at the GX8, I see it's weather-sealed, another useful feature for travel.

I do 100% of my photography with the Q alone.

I don't need anything else and I'm not carrying a backup camera while traveling.

If the Q happens to fail, well I'll use my iPhone.

The Q can do landscape, architecture and street, so its very travel compliant !!

Sure I won't be able to shoot things that require a 200mm but who cares, there are tons of others photos I can make with what I have.

And my wife thanks me that I don't stop every 5 minutes to change lenses anymore.

Walking on streets with no heavy bag but just the Q hanging around my neck worth a dozain of missed shots to me ;-)

Edited by Voxen
  • Like 5

I don't need anything else and I'm not carrying a backup camera while traveling.

Have you considered the Leica C? Comparable in size and weight to the iphone, but a real camera. It even has a 200mm zoom and a viewfinder.

Sure, the iphone is good, but if your lens is the size of a lentil, it's never going to be great.

The Q can do landscape, architecture and street, so its very travel compliant !!

Sure I won't be able to shoot things that require a 200mm but who cares, there are tons of others photos I can make with what I have.

And my wife thanks me that I don't stop every 5 minutes to change lenses anymore.

Walking on streets with no heavy bag but just the Q hanging around my neck worth a dozain of missed shots to me ;-)

+ 1. The Q was the perfect anti-GAS medicine. Sold my other camera's. 100% happy. Also great for portraits btw. :)

• Like 2

For me just 28mm FOV is too limiting. For me this means I rather carry a camera with more flexibility, the T or m43. I dont see myself "mixing" systems. I carry a fix lens camera if I believe its all I need (sometimes the x2 in my case) but if I need more I dont want to switch user interface all the time.

Wow!  Quite a thread.  you are probably back from your trip by now!  

I received my Q three days before a trip to Scotland.  I just returned.  It was the only camera I carried.  i like traveling light.  I usually had my Fuji X-E2 with the 40mm equivalent lens (for 20 years i only carried a Leica M-6 and a 50mm1.4).  So, carrying one lens/one focal length was not an issue, but it being a 28mm was a challenge!  I say this in a good way.  I still believe a fixed lens helps you "focus" more on the image you are talking.  But that's me.  And my old school prejudice of the quality of zoom lenses v. fixed, which I know is much less of an issue today.

Last year I went traveling when i knew we would be in a car, so i took the Fuji with a telephoto lens as well as the 40mm (lots of wildlife), and a second pocket camera, which i almost took to Scotland.  if you are just looking for a second pocket camera I recommend it highly, the Canon Gx9 with a 1" sensor.  great pocket camera.  : )

Oh, I just posted a few Q images from Scotland on my website: http://www.visualquotations.com/Scotland/index.html

Cheers!

Munene

Nice shots from Scotland. My favorite is the yawning cat. Looks like a great trip and I share your old school prejudice of the quality of zoom lenses vs. fixed.

Edited by OR120
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

The Sony is a bit small to compare to the image quality of the Q. I would recommend the GX8 with the DG Vario-Elmar, a 4/3rds sensor, 20 MP and dual IS - effectively a 200-800 mm with 5-EV values of stabilisation.

I have the Sony A7R as my backup to the m10 in my recent travel. the A7R is large with the 16-35 mm lens, and now thinking of getting a smaller leica or simply bring my A6000 which was the back up the A7R before I acquired the M10

Edited by tonyniev