Complementary travel camera along with the Q

Leica Q + Sony A7 & Canon 50mm 1.2 Leica screw mount (with close focus adapter). I strongly recommend this lens for its bokeh and its size: on A7 similar to the Q. It's not the best for corners sharpness so I use it for portraits at wide apertures.

If ever I travel I'll take a 'main' camera (I'm going to Japan in the autumn, where I'll take the Q) and I'll also take my RX100 as a 'cover all other eventualities' camera - I've have a full X-T1 kit, but travelling with a bag full of cameras can be strangely restrictive, especially when you are on the move a lot.

I took the RX100 with me to Greece (leaving the Fuji kit at home) although I paired it with the RX1 (this is before I got the Q) - the combination of full frame camera & a 28-100 multi-purpose camera really versatile, but extremely lightweight - here's a wee blog on said trip;

https://allanmcleodroney.wordpress.com/2014/10/26/santoriniathens-greece/

I've also penned a blog on the various virtues of the wee RX100, here;

https://allanmcleodroney.wordpress.com/2014/06/10/what-camera-should-i-buy/

I've done holidays with a bag of cameras & lenses over my shoulders - when I go to that kind of effort, I spend more time using the cameras (to justify all that weight!), and not enough just enjoying the location.

Edited by allanmcleodroney
  • Like 2

Nikon D800 and one or two primes, depending on where I go. End february I am going to Dubai and will take the Q ans the D800 with a Zeiss 15mm. And the Leitz table tripod with ballhead, of course.

Edited by Lucena

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I did a 10-day vacation in Singapore with just the Q and enjoyed every second of it.  I think the in camera crop marks helped to break the mental barrier I had with not having true zoom capabilities.  Not having to fuss with "which camera should I go out with" also a big plus.  Remember, the best camera is the one that you have with you. 

They're pretty generic vacation photos (a few iPhone and other camera photos mixed in from my girlfriend as well), but 95% of these are all Q.  No question I'm just taking the Q with me on my next vacation as well.

https://goo.gl/photos/dfjdetnphG6KLRaY8

Some great photos alee. Love the architecture and night photos especially. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

What about a T+18-56 as addition to the Q.

With the risk you might exchange your Q for a 23/2.0 T lens one day ;)

In regards of user interface I would say the X-Vario would be the best addition to the Q because it handles a lot like the Q.

For me the T is the better travel camera because I can use it wwith either primes or Zoom.

And instead of having 2 different cameras (Q+something else) with different user interface I rather bring 2 T bodies and 2-3 T lenses, so I also have a backup body in case one body fails.

What about a T+18-56 as addition to the Q.

With the risk you might exchange your Q for a 23/2.0 T lens one day ;)

In regards of user interface I would say the X-Vario would be the best addition to the Q because it handles a lot like the Q.

For me the T is the better travel camera because I can use it wwith either primes or Zoom.

And instead of having 2 different cameras (Q+something else) with different user interface I rather bring 2 T bodies and 2-3 T lenses, so I also have a backup body in case one body fails.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the complimentary camera would serve as my landscape and portrait camera. I would like at least 24MP with good ISO performance and DR, along with a fast 60-90mm prime. Neither of those cameras satisfy my requirements.

Edited by Mr.Q

Nice, how do you like the combo? Could you please comment on how the X-Pro2 renders skin tones in comparison to the Q?

Well it ain't no Q but it is pretty good and I am happy with the skin tones. What I really like about the combo is that the haptics are basically the same with a similar set of analogue controls. The other plus is that it is very well weather sealed as is the XF 35/f2 lens. The XF 35/1.4 is a noisy lens but I like the way it renders wide open and it has the advantage over the f2 lens that the corners get sharp when stopped down. The Q is my main street camera and just has the most astounding focussing system that knocks the socks of the fuji or as matter of fact anything else, FOR serious landscape work etc the Sony  A7rII is my main camera 

Edited by viramati

Well, I own my Q only a few days but sure there is a point to think about a "backup camera" for the case the main cam stops working on vacation - but this is IMHO tho most worst case to imagine. Maybe for this, my Leica X can be a solution - but I rather think of selling it after buying the Q  :).

The point is that I do not want to carry a big and heavy second camera with my while travelling. So it has to be a smaller one, of course with a smaller sensor. And another thing is to have maybe the possibility to get some zoom capability (optical, not crop), e.g. when you want to make a detail foto of some things you cannot go by foot near (architecture). So my choice is the Leica C. Sure the sensor is - compared to Q - veeery small, but some bigger then many other compact cameras. Also the picture quality is very fine, and the zoom to about 200mm is very nice. Also the little cam fits in a smaller pocket.

The IQ is not so bad and the little C does a very good job. Sure, the D-Lux is better, but for my companion camera I really need zoom with more then 90mm.

My main camera is now leica Q but sometimes I take also the X-Pro2 + 56mm f1.2 (great bokeh, colours)

I too have the XF 56/1.2 which really is a fantastic lens and makes for a great 85/1.8 equivalent portrait lens. In fact I only have the 35 and 56 lens for the fuji and that is all I intend to get. Both the Q and the fuji with either of the lenses fit nicely into a Billingham Hadley small bag along with my iPad, batteries and wallet

Edited by viramati

Thanks viramati, I also like the styling and haptics of the XP2 and I'd probably get the 35/1.4 or 56/1.2 to complement the Q's 28mm.

This might sound a bit crazy, but I've narrowed down to the Fuji XP2 with the aforementioned lenses, or a Leica M-P with a 50 lux.

• 10 months later...

Interesting Thread. I never really thought of having less on travel trips. But then I am typically going somewhere to shoot, and I either want the option of multiple cameras or one really versatile one, the Q is GREAT but I prefer the versatility of a prime as opposed to a digital crop in camera. 
Lately, most of my travel trips are work related (photo/street/portrature/fashion) and I typically have a few bodies with me to get various looks..

I bring the Q as a back-up for my main cameras. I find the Q's sensor to be a tad too sharp or "live" sometimes and I haven't quite figured out how to tone it down in camera instead of in post, so I typically shy away from it as a primary camera. A native M lens in the actual focal lengths is a look that I prefer. Some may not have the same opinion. Read on if you want to know what I do. If not carry on.

Currently my bags read like so:

Short portrait/street trip (carry on only, day trip or a few days)

OPTIONAL ONE film M (M7, M4-2, or M3 with 50 Summicron, 28 Summicron ASPH or 40 Summicron-C attached)

ONE digital M (M10/M240/M246 Mono according to the type of work - like if I need extra video or know I will be mostly shooting BW, or in low light); 

M lenses will be 28 Summaron (as body cap on an M), 35 Summicron ASPH (on second body), 50 Summicron APO, 90 Summicron ASPH; 

Leica SL, M adapter, R adapter M (stacked) and using the M lenses above and the Vario-Elmarit 70-200 f4

Leica Q as back-up 

RICOH GR in my pocket.

iPhone 7 Plus + P9 in MONO

Two SF20 flash guns and one SF40

Longer or full blown fashion/portrait trip (checked bag and carry on, important or paid)

OPTIONAL TWO film bodies, one MF Pentax 67 or Hassleblad V and one 35mm either the M7 or Contax G2 with the 28 or 45.

Main Body Leica S typ 007 with Summicron-S 100, 70 CS and 45 CS

Back-up Body Leica SL with M adapter and 24-90 SL and 90-280 SL zooms

One or tow digital Ms (M10/M240/M246), same M lenses as above

Leica Q

RICOH GR in pocket

iPhone 7 Plus + P9 in MONO

Same Flash set up as above, but I typically add the Profit B1 and B2 (single head) for additional power if I need it.

How I would USE each camera may or may not be interesting. Read on if you would like to know. 

If I am doing primarily street-like work, I will look to MOSTLY use an M body and a 28 or 35 for wider shots, and the 50 APO to hone in. In this case I will put a 50 or 35 on the M and THEN use the Q as the wide strapped to my side.

IF I feel as though I might need a faster body or a higher shutter speed, or a longer lens or a tele, I will use the SL primarily and the M body as a back up or a different focal length and the Q as the wide (I never need much wider than 28, but if I would I will use a 16 IF I need it).

Portraits, I will start with the S and the 100, then the 70 or 45 CS if I need to sync fast. I will typically use the SL with the 90 cron. IF I need wider back-up I will couple this with the Q for fast shots. All will basically be with a flash of some sort.

If there is ANY video, I will use the SL as my primary and the Q as my secondary video. The Q also couples as a great VLOG camera. IF I think I will need more than that or multiple angles I will bring the M240 and a tripod.

IN the case of the film bodies, I will TRY to run a roll or two of film each time I shoot - even if I don't develop them right away. This is because I'm a little old-school in the sense that I think shooting actual negatives makes it to where you have the shoot for a lot longer than any digital capture.

The GR is on standby. I like the APS-C sensor and the size for some renders. Plus the on-camera pop-up flash is useful!

The iPhone and P9 are used in-case I go somewhere where a camera is forbidden. Also, it couples as a "street tether" on-the-go with the apps for the Q, SL and M10. I've actually published print editorials with the p9. the images aren't horrible.

All that said, if I was FORCED to take ONE body/one lens set-up into a questionable situation I could get by with the Q alone, But would prefer to have an M or the SL as my primary body. I think the Q is FANTASTIC but there are just some things that need a very very specific look that only particular lenses garnish, and I like to predetermine my scenario - even if I have little control over what I MIGHT get, what might actually come into my frame.

I am in the process of looking for a complimentary camera with the Leica Q, when I travel. Right now my focus is on the Leica D-Lux (type 109). Opinions appreciated.  I am strongly thinking about  selling my Nikon SLR system because it no longer fits my needs. Technological innovation is producing viable options that are high quality, smaller, and lighter.  

Will you only take the Q with you while traveling, or have a complimentary camera with the Leica Q? Thank you. 

Not sure understand the issue. Why would you want a complementary travel camera to the Q? I thought that was the Q? I would rather pair the Q with something like the S 007. If you want a smaller/lighter camera than the Q, why take both the smaller one and the Q then?