Complementary travel camera along with the Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

CL?

Yes the CL is intriguing. It shares the same battery with the Q which is a huge plus. 

I'm considering selling both my X-T2 and GX8 to replace with the CL.

I do have reservations though as I will be losing quite a bit.....

1. No IBIS

2. No swivel screen

3. No fast portrait prime

4. Only one wide and telephoto zoom option

In fact I'm not sure what exactly I'm going to gain with the CL. Perhaps it's just GAS.

Edited by Mr.Q

Presently I own a Q which I’m very happy with and an M240 which has gotten very little use since the Q arrived (about 1 year). I want a camera that has a lot more reach than the M240. The SL is too big and cumbersome for me. I read with great interest that Jaapv has acquired a GX8 with a nice assortment of DG lenses. I am seriously considering going this route and selling the M240. Now that the CL has arrived I’m in a quandary of which would be the best choice. I love to print, I have a 3880 for small prints and books that I print and bind myself. I also have a 24” Epson 7900 which I use for printing my large work. (24x36 mostly). I really hate sitting on the fence, [emoji79]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am coming back from Scotland (Highlands).

I brought the Q with an E-M5 II and the 45mm 1.8 (equivalent 90mm).

Excellent combo and light to carry.

Also took an Hasselblad Xpan but it's another story.

Next month, I am going to India. I will bring the Q with a M8 (with Summicron 40 and maybe Tele Elmarit 90).

• Like 1

I am coming back from Scotland (Highlands).

I brought the Q with an E-M5 II and the 45mm 1.8 (equivalent 90mm).

Excellent combo and light to carry.

Also took an Hasselblad Xpan but it's another story.

Next month, I am going to India. I will bring the Q with a M8 (with Summicron 40 and maybe Tele Elmarit 90).

I am interested in learning more about your experience.  I just traveled to France and took only my Q.  I also have a Lumix Gx1 and, among other lenses, the Olympus 45mm 1.8. I started to take it, just to have a little reach; however, I went with just the one camera, primarily to travel light.  I did not miss much if anything at all; however, we were on a river cruise and I could have used the 45mm for some of the castles and forts that were up on the hills.  Anyway, I thought that I might seek you experience.  Thanks. 

Edited by falcon468

Lots of good suggestions on this post.  I went with the Nikon D5500 APS-C format camera with a very powerful 24MB sensor and no AA filter.  The camera is lightweight, relatively small (see this website for comparison sizing: http://camerasize.com/compare/ and works well.  The image quality is surprisingly good. 

The kit zoom lens captures all of the long range I could possibly need, and the entire package is available very reasonably priced from various sources. 

I don't take credit for finding this camera on my own, it's a recommendation from Ming Thein's website - which I find very helpful.

Yes, it's not a pocket camera, but I don't know many pocket cameras that are capable of providing the image quality that will typically satisfy critical users.   The D5600 is the newer version, but it's very similar to the D5500. 

When I first responded to this thread last July, I was using a Sony A7ii as a complementary travel camera to my Q. I have since acquired an SL, which has completely replaced the Sony. The SL is somewhat larger and heavier, but not enough to be bothersome. Mostly, I use it with either a Zeiss ZM 35 f/1.4, CV 50 f/1.5 Nokton or a Summarit 75 f/2.5. Altogether, they make a very manageable travel kit. I even bought a Summicron 28 f/2 (latest version) at a super-deep discount. Yes, it's the same FL as the Q, but when I am out with the SL, it's much easier to carry the Summicron in a small shoulder bag than the Q. OTOH, when I want to go out with as little encumbrance as possible, I grab the Q and enjoy the experience and the results thoroughly.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The answers to these questions seem to be in two camps: a camera that shoots wider than the Q, or a camera that shoots more tele than the Q.  A number of posters want something with comparable image quality, so they go with Leica M, Sony A7 variant, a Leica T/TL variant or the CL, or even the lightweight option of a m43 camera like the Olympus OMD or Panasonic equivalent.

Since the Q shares the same batteries with the V-Lux 114 or Panasonic FZ1000/2500, that might be a decent option for a camera with long reach and reasonable video capabilities.  This means only one set of batteries and one charger.

Just say that you don't necessarily want longer reach, that the 50mm crop of the Q is the longest you will want for travel photography.  This opens up possibilities like a medium format folding camera like a Voigtlander or Fuji, a Rolleiflex TLR, or a Hasselblad X1D.

Travel is often about minimizing weight and volume, as well as maximizing convenience and security.  To that end, a small but high quality camera would be appropriate.  Some have mentioned the Sony RX100 series and the Ricoh GR.  In that vein, the Panasonic LX cameras might be useful, including the LX7 (Leica D Lux 6?), or the LX10. 

Panasonic also make the TZ110, a 1" sensor compact with a long zoom.  Ten years ago, the closest you could get was the Canon G7, which was bigger, had a much smaller sensor, and covered 35-210mm zoom range.  The TZ110 has a large sensor and covers 25-250mm.  I would have loved a camera like this ten years ago for travel photography, and it would make a decent pocket companion for the Q.

If you want to enjoy film, why not a Contax T3, Nikon 35Ti or 28Ti, or Ricoh GRiv?

Knowing my own shooting habits, the Q would handle the majority of what I would do.  I've gone out and never taken the 28mm off the M9, or switched to the 50mm Summicron for a bit.  Other times, I'll leave the 28mm Elmarit on the M9 and use the tiny Panasonic GM1 + Olympus 25/1.8 for a 50mm.  I'm guessing that the 50mm crop of the Q would give a very similar depth of field to a micro four thirds camera with a 25mm f1.8 lens, so this would mostly eliminate the need for the GM1.  If I knew I had to take portraits, I'd still bring the GM1 with the Olympus 45/1.8, which is a tiny package.

• Like 1

I rethought everything and I put together a pretty comprehensive travel bag.  I have the Q, the SL with the 50mm APO Summicron-M f/2 and the Elmarit Vario 24-90 in my ONA Brixton.  I also have an ONA Bowery that I can put the Q and The SL with the APO for times when I don't want to carry everything while walking around.  The 24-90 can stay in the hotel safe during those times.  I'm a big guy, though, and I don't mind carrying a little weight.  

I pack other things in the Bowery and put it in my checked bag so I can keep my equipment with me at all times while flying.  

• Like 2

I rethought everything and I put together a pretty comprehensive travel bag.  I have the Q, the SL with the 50mm APO Summicron-M f/2 and the Elmarit Vario 24-90 in my ONA Brixton.  I also have an ONA Bowery that I can put the Q and The SL with the APO for times when I don't want to carry everything while walking around.  The 24-90 can stay in the hotel safe during those times.  I'm a big guy, though, and I don't mind carrying a little weight. 

That's a fair bit of gear.  Are you flying economy or business?  Economy flights tend to have a 7kg carry on limit, and I try to observe those limits very carefully.

That's a fair bit of gear.  Are you flying economy or business?  Economy flights tend to have a 7kg carry on limit, and I try to observe those limits very carefully.

I usually fly business. I am near a United hub, so tend to use them more than any other airline. My Brixton qualifies as a personal item, so I can keep it under the seat in front of me so it's always within reach.

I've gone through quite a bit of gear in the past 2 years.....

1. Leica M9P --- sold after M10 arrived

2. Sony RX1RII --- sold because I liked the Q better

3. Sony A7II --- sold because I got sick of editing Sony skin tones

4. Panasonic GX8 --- sold last week because I bought the CL

5. Fuji X-T2 --- sold because autofocus was sluggish and the infamous Lightroom issues

6. Olympus E-M1.2 --- sold because the UI and controls were way too complicated and I couldn't get accustomed to the 4:3 ratio

7. Leica M10 --- it addressed every complaint I had with the M9P, the perfect rangefinder

8. Fuji X-T2 (yes a 2nd time lol) --- repurchased because it's the MILC with the least amount of compromises, still not happy with AF speed in low light and LR issues

9. Leica CL --- hoping it becomes the perfect compliment to both the M10 and Q

The only constant in my bag has been the Leica Q. It's a keeper.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a Q to accompany my CL. I travel a lot and was recommended the Q by another member. I suspect I will on my next trip take the Q and the CL with the 18-56 and 35 1.4. I have heard the lens on the Q is more like a 26mm than a 28 which for me is wide enough. The CL with those 2 lenses will give me length and portrait option when needed. Trying to decide whether to also take the 60 2.8. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm heading out on a ski trip soon.  I have been taking a D-Lux 109 out on the slopes with me in a hard case I lined with foam.   I also have the X Vario (love the high-contrast black and whites) and just got the Q.  (The internet is killing my savings  :wacko: ).  I'll definitely take the Q for going out after skiing and the 109 for the slopes.  Right now, I'm also planning to take the X Vario.  I have lined a soft waist case with pick-and-pluck foam and hope to take the X Vario or the Q out with me on the slopes.  Stupid idea?

I'm heading out on a ski trip soon. I have been taking a D-Lux 109 out on the slopes with me in a hard case I lined with foam. I also have the X Vario (love the high-contrast black and whites) and just got the Q. (The internet is killing my savings :wacko: ). I'll definitely take the Q for going out after skiing and the 109 for the slopes. Right now, I'm also planning to take the X Vario. I have lined a soft waist case with pick-and-pluck foam and hope to take the X Vario or the Q out with me on the slopes. Stupid idea?

The X-Vario should be OK as long as the waist buckle is secure and the pack has decent and somewhat shockproof padding. I used a Think Tank belt threaded into a small rectangular Tamrac bag designed to fit a camera like the Sony Nex, with appropriate padding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk