Complementary travel camera along with the Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am in the process of looking for a complimentary camera with the Leica Q, when I travel. Right now my focus is on the Leica D-Lux (type 109). Opinions appreciated.  I am strongly thinking about  selling my Nikon SLR system because it no longer fits my needs. Technological innovation is producing viable options that are high quality, smaller, and lighter.  

Will you only take the Q with you while traveling, or have a complimentary camera with the Leica Q? Thank you. 

I did a 10-day vacation in Singapore with just the Q and enjoyed every second of it.  I think the in camera crop marks helped to break the mental barrier I had with not having true zoom capabilities.  Not having to fuss with "which camera should I go out with" also a big plus.  Remember, the best camera is the one that you have with you. 

They're pretty generic vacation photos (a few iPhone and other camera photos mixed in from my girlfriend as well), but 95% of these are all Q.  No question I'm just taking the Q with me on my next vacation as well.

https://goo.gl/photos/dfjdetnphG6KLRaY8

• Like 7

Took an M9 to India to accompany my Q.  On the advice of a forum member, I was to alternate cameras each day.  Tried that plan but after two days I stopped using the M9 and the 75mm.   My approach will now be to adapt and shoot whatever is within the capabilities of the Q and not try to stretch the focal range unreasonably. Unlike the M9, the Q is light and very quick to shoot and cropping is a realistic proposition, but you have to discover that to gain confidence with one body - one lens.  

I will admit that I am still enamoured with my CCD M9-P and can immediately recognise it's colour signature which the Q doesn't share.  Maybe I'll do a trip again with just the M9!

Having two capable bodies has created this predicament for me.  I only shoot when I'm travelling. 

• Like 2

I've always found that the more lenses I have the worse my photos are. The discipline required to shoot with one, maybe two, focal lengths completely changes what shots you take and what you don't. 

Therefore if I was going to take a backup digital camera it would probably just be another Q. But I've never had a Leica go pop on me before and I have 4 batteries.

As it is, I have one 'slow' film camera (Zeiss Ikon with a 50mm 'Cron) and the 'fast' Q. And I began with an M9-P, M3, 21mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm and a 90mm.

The mind and eye truly did boggle and I rarely got the shot.

Edited by Rapierwitman
  • Like 3

Took an M9 to India to accompany my Q.  On the advice of a forum member, I was to alternate cameras each day.  Tried that plan but after two days I stopped using the M9 and the 75mm.   My approach will now be to adapt and shoot whatever is within the capabilities of the Q and not try to stretch the focal range unreasonably. Unlike the M9, the Q is light and very quick to shoot and cropping is a realistic proposition, but you have to discover that to gain confidence with one body - one lens.  

I will admit that I am still enamoured with my CCD M9-P and can immediately recognise it's colour signature which the Q doesn't share.  Maybe I'll do a trip again with just the M9!

Having two capable bodies has created this predicament for me.  I only shoot when I'm travelling. 

I have a M9 but after my sensor got replaced I like much less the color rendition as before. So over Xmas I took my Q along with my Sigma DP3 (75mm equivalent). The DP3 has the ability to make excellent pictures but it is too slow and difficult to use. It made me really appreciate the handling of the Leica Q.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm sorry that I'm so fussy, but I had the DP3 for less than a month.  It's all about practicalities.  How can a travel photographer manage with a camera that takes so long to focus and struggles to take 50 images per charge.  Admittedly, the images were ultra sharp and contrasty, but they lacked character. Great for copying documents.  It's gone.  We know why we appreciate our Leica equipment, it just takes us a long time to travel the path to this brand.  I'm hoping that more people can now join us via ownership of the Q.  It's much more affordable. 

I am very surprised to hear about the performance changes you have observed following your sensor replacement.  I haven't had the replacement done.  I don't know when my sensor cover might misbehave.

Edited by lucerne

I'm sorry that I'm so fussy, but I had the DP3 for less than a month.  It's all about practicalities.  How can a travel photographer manage with a camera that takes so long to focus and struggles to take 50 images per charge.  Admittedly, the images were ultra sharp and contrasty, but they lacked character. Great for copying documents.  It's gone.  We know why we appreciate our Leica equipment, it just takes us a long time to travel the path to this brand.  I'm hoping that more people can now join us via ownership of the Q.  It's much more affordable. 

I am very surprised to hear about the performance changes you have observed following your sensor replacement.  I haven't had the replacement done.  I don't know when my sensor cover might misbehave.

For me the first camera I bought was a Leica CL as a teenager. So I went went from and to Leica. I got some great pictures out of DP3  (especially as monochrome) but that is a rare event. I only did not find yet any thing to replace it!

My Leica Q is my main camera when travelling.

I also take an Olympus TG4 as a back up. I use it bad / wet / dusty weather or at the beach.

The TG4 also does awesome macro as well.

95% of my pics would be Q pics.

I also still have my Fuji X100 and XT-1. The XT-1 with the 27mm f2.8 pancake also gets used as a back up at times.

The XT-1 is great for long exposure night pics as the Q is limited to 30 seconds.

Lots of choices........ :-) 

Edited by Big T
  • Like 1

Sigma DP3 Quattro. Excellent moderate long lens (excellent f2.8 75mm equivalent). The Q is a bargain when considering the outstanding IQ and resolution and it comes with two batteries, the same ones as the Q needs. Two outstanding sensors and prime lenses, one charger, three batteries, all weighting about 1kg and fitting into a small bag. And add the LCD VF as it is useful for the Quattro for accurate focusing and framing, particularly in bright light. If wide is your thing, get the DP0 Quattro instead (an outstanding f4 21mm equivalent lens). A Sigma quattro can be had at not much more than two Leica labeled Q spare batteries. Go figure.

Edited by Ecaton
  • Like 2

Interesting to read the batteries for the Q and the Quattro are the same. Can you confirm that they are interchangeable?  What about the Raw files from the Quattro.  Can they be directly imported into Ligtroom now?  

The Leica Q is an outstanding very versatile camera.

When traveling I never rely on one body only.

I always carry a back-up camera. In this case having the Q for landscape, street and as wideangle and macro even yet I would take a crop camera. I am happy with the Olympus EM 5 and then can adapt any lens I would need. Here I recommend a 45 mm Nocticron  or a telelens. Leica R lenses work perfectly with the MFT cameras.

Generally I admit that your framing skills improve concentrating on only one lens but while travelling other circumstances may require a second camera. I once damaged my DLSR and was very happy to rely on a second camera. There are so many incalculable risks and not to have a telelens may be a regrettable.

• Like 1

Iduna

i agree that a 2nd camera is the only insurance against most risks and I always have one on the trip.(cameras and their accessories packed and consigned separately! ).   However, in the street, at very hot locations, a backpack is a complete nuisance, (try Indian cities)  and my back will no longer allow me to walk for 4-6 hours with two bodies and perhaps 3 lenses.  I leave one kit in my hotel safe.  This is one of the considerations for many of us who suffer as we get older.  Another factor for me is the desire to reduce the number of different formats of files I generate and the different charging systems and lens accessories.  So I try to keep things standardised.  DNG files. 

I didn't find that I could do everything with my Q, but I accepted the compromise of weight versus focal length and would have returned to a location with my M + 75mm if it was worthwhile.   That said, I am still impressed with my M9 and the great lenses.  I have to make the Q work for me.  Over the years I have demonstrated to myself that carrying every lens for any eventuality each day didn't result in a more successful day.  I plan the type of shoot and equip accordingly.  

I've sold all my M42, MFT, LTM, cameras, lenses, and Olympus, panasonic and Canon adaptors and rented out the room space!  

Have fun...

• Like 2

Interesting to read the batteries for the Q and the Quattro are the same. Can you confirm that they are interchangeable?  What about the Raw files from the Quattro.  Can they be directly imported into Ligtroom now?  

The batteries are perfectly interchangeable. Sigma`s RAW still require the Sigma software. On the road I shoot the Quattro in raw & jpeg as I travel with the Mac Book which can not handle the Sigma software. However, the jpegs of the Quattros are quite good and as they play second fiddle to the Q anyway I`m ok with jpegs. 

• Like 1

The Leica Q is an outstanding very versatile camera.

When traveling I never rely on one body only.

I always carry a back-up camera. In this case having the Q for landscape, street and as wideangle and macro even yet I would take a crop camera. I am happy with the Olympus EM 5 and then can adapt any lens I would need. Here I recommend a 45 mm Nocticron  or a telelens. Leica R lenses work perfectly with the MFT cameras.

Generally I admit that your framing skills improve concentrating on only one lens but while travelling other circumstances may require a second camera. I once damaged my DLSR and was very happy to rely on a second camera. There are so many incalculable risks and not to have a telelens may be a regrettable.

Considering the bulk and weight a Q, EM5 & Nocticron, different chargers, spare batteries mean, I`d rather go FF and throw a M9/M240 and two primes into the bag.

• Like 2

Why not a T beside the Q? I'm thinking about this possibility, the Q as a wide angle camera and the T with a 35 or 50 M (I already have) for the times when I need a medium tele (head and shoulder portraits). But of course the Olympus is another option to be considered...

robert

• Like 3

I did a 10-day vacation in Singapore with just the Q and enjoyed every second of it.  I think the in camera crop marks helped to break the mental barrier I had with not having true zoom capabilities.  Not having to fuss with "which camera should I go out with" also a big plus.  Remember, the best camera is the one that you have with you. 

They're pretty generic vacation photos (a few iPhone and other camera photos mixed in from my girlfriend as well), but 95% of these are all Q.  No question I'm just taking the Q with me on my next vacation as well.

https://goo.gl/photos/dfjdetnphG6KLRaY8

I enjoyed your photos.  You made some relevant points with your shots.  One of our stops at the end of 2016 will be Singapore (been there before, and loved it as well). It has changed in the past decade.

Still contemplating another back-up camera, because of the remote locations.  Concerned about a camera problem in India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, etc. My wife and I will be traveling for a month. No doubt, I will never return to some of these places.  Right now, the Leica D-Lux (Type 109) is at the top of the pecking order as a back-up. It is hard to go from full-frame to anything less; however, this may be a viable option. 

Appreciate yours, and everyone's input thus far. 

.........On the road I shoot the Quattro in raw & jpeg as I travel with the Mac Book which can not handle the Sigma software.

News about the common Sigma / Leica Q battery is heartening! - as is the increased shot capacity.      I was using the DPMerrill software on my Macbook Pro  Is there any reason why Sigma Photo Pro won't run for the Quattro?  I only used the software to convert to DNG.   However, it is yet another process in the workflow. 

Still contemplating another back-up camera, because of the remote locations.  Concerned about a camera problem in India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, etc. My wife and I will be traveling for a month. No doubt, I will never return to some of these places.  Right now, the Leica D-Lux (Type 109) is at the top of the pecking order as a back-up. It is hard to go from full-frame to anything less; however, this may be a viable option. 

That was my predicament in December.  I had no idea if the Q was up to the job, but my fears were unfounded.  Anyway, at the last moment I packed my other camera + lens + accessories just in case, but it only got used on one day of the 14 day trip.  Unless you don't have another camera to take, I'd avoid spending more money and take whatever you have.

• Like 1

News about the common Sigma / Leica Q battery is heartening! - as is the increased shot capacity.      I was using the DPMerrill software on my Macbook Pro  Is there any reason why Sigma Photo Pro won't run for the Quattro?  I only used the software to convert to DNG.   However, it is yet another process in the workflow. 

The Mac Book with its 1.1 GHz processor and 8GB memory can not handle SPP. Of course the Quattro raw files work with SPP. With the MacBook Pro this is a non issue. But when travelling light I don`t want to schlep the 15 inch pro.

• Like 1