Cleaning the SL sensor

J Gartner

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Love the camera, but the manual is ofen next to useless. I can't seem to find anything about the sensor cleaning system in the Leica SL.

Can any of you advise on the following:

1) How does the electronic sensor cleaning system work? Does it activate on startup/shutdown as it does on my Canon SLR, or does it have to activated manually?  If the latter, where is the switch in the menu structure?

2) Is there a specific procedure to follow for manual cleaning of the sensor?

3) Is there a dust detection system similar to the one in the M cameras?

Thanks.

I can't remember where I read it, but I saw a recommendation NOT to do a manual clean other than rocket blower, because the dust cleaning system on the sensor does not hold it firmly, and could be damaged by direct contact for cleaning. Worth checking before risking damage.

Download from the online manual (pg.278/279)...

CLEANING THE SENSOR

The camera is equipped with an automatic sensor cleaning function.

Every time the camera is switched on, the sensor unit is subjected to ultrasonic vibrations which removes most of the dust or dirt particles adhering to the sensor cover glass.

If any particles remain in spite of this (depending on their size, they can be identified by dark spots or marks on the recordings) the camera can be sent to Leica Camera AG’s Customer Care department (address: see p. 296) for the sensor to be cleaned at

a cost, i.e. this cleaning is not included in the guarantee.

You can also perform the cleaning yourself, as the shutter is normally open, i.e. exposing the sensor.

Safety and care instructions

Notes:

• Generally: To protect the camera against ingress of dust etc. into its interior, it is important always to have a lens or a cap attached to the camera body.

• For the same reason, change lenses quickly and in an environment that is as dust-free as possible.

• As plastic parts can easily pick up a static charge and then attract more dust, lens caps should only be stored for short periods in pockets in clothing.

• As far as possible, cleaning of the sensor should be performed in a dust-free environment to prevent further soiling.

• An 8x or 10x magnifying glass is very useful for the inspection before and after cleaning.

• Lightly adhering dust can be blown off the sensor cover glass using clean and, if necessary ionized gases such as air or Nitrogen. It makes sense to use a (rubber) bellows with no brush for this purpose. Special, low pressure cleaning sprays such as "Tetenal Antidust Professional" can also be used in line with their specified usage.

Important:

• Leica Camera AG accepts no liability for damage caused by the user when cleaning the sensor.

• Do not attempt to blow dust particles off the sensor cover glass using your mouth; even tiny droplets of saliva can cause marks that are difficult to remove.

• Compressed air cleaners with high gas pressure may not be used as they can also cause damage.

• Take care to avoid touching the sensor surface with any hard objects during inspection and cleaning. 

Jeff 

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1