Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently bought a M240. Now in Norway there has been two days with temperatures around zero degrees celsius. I went out shooting both days, and both days the same thing happened.

Suddenly and without warning the camera seemed to lock itself. None of the buttons worked. I could still fire the shutter, but no pictures were recorded. 

Anyone have a clue?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thats a bug.

No it is not - the camera is specified down to 0° C.  All electronic gear has a lowest temperature specification. It just means that the internal temperature of the battery dropped below the specified temperature. M cameras are particularly prone to this because of the small metal body with the battery close to the outside without isolation.

Just keep a second battery warm in your pocket and exchange as needed - and the camera under your coat.

Liveview should keep the inside of the camera warm (otherwise where does the theory that long exposures are outlawed because of overheating come from?)

If it got that warm it would have a chimney.

Living in Texas we have some limited experience with this sort of issue, but I find that I shut down somewhat before the camera does

Edited by Schrödinger's cat

My camera M 240 holds minus 18 degrees Celcius for two hours, or minus 4 degrees C for 6 hours. keep one battery in your trouserspocket. And change them every 1,5 hours if in minus 18 dergrees.  If the problem stays, it's not a battery problem, but might be  a camera problem.

Some may 'hold' -18C, but the distribution is down towards the tail of the probability curve. 

Living in Texas we have some limited experience with this sort of issue, but I find that I shut down somewhat before the camera does

That's because you are older than any M camera. 

Some may 'hold' -18C, but the distribution is down towards the tail of the probability curve. 

I am always at the tail of the probability curve, my insurance agent told me...

. My camera doesn't freez when it's cold, but I have to take out the battary on a regular bases to stop the " freeze " problem  of the M. Maybe the one is connected to the other?

I heard at the moment not so limited?

Couldn't say.  The shutters are closed and I haven't gotten out from in front of the fire lately

Edited by Schrödinger's cat

Couldn't say.  The shutters are closed and I haven't gotten out from in front of the fire lately

Make sure to click your heels together and repeat "There's no place like home" repeatedly.

Had my M240 out in -23 C for 3 hours a few nights ago, shot 234 exposures and the battery only went down to 75%, photo attached. I also do the battery swap as needed but for some reason, have not needed to with this camera. For what it is worth, I rarely chimp & It never was turned off or put into my jacket or a bag.

I think you might have some sort of issue with your camera, I find the M240 to be outstanding in cold weather....

Edited by Ai_Print

It's not just you @Knipserdu, I've experienced the same problem: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/239446-m240-in-winter-weather/

I ended up buying a spare battery and the issue persisted so it was obvious that the camera itself had a deficiency. Since it was under warranty I sent the camera to Leica USA for repair. They were able to reproduce the issue and validated my concern. It was explained to me that they didn't know if "component A" or "component B" was the problem so they replaced both parts (not sure which, exactly). They also needed to replace the camera's sensor with a new one (!!?). Turn around time was about 3 months but I haven't had any issues since.

FWIW, I experienced the issue not just in freezing temperatures but in weather as "cold" as ~10 celsius! Camera would operate properly for 30-45 mins then it would just shut down and require a warm up inside.

You should get in touch with your dealer/Leica ASAP so that you have a fully functional M in your hands come springtime. Good luck!