TL Lenses v M Lenses

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We all got excited when new TL lenses were announced. 35mm Summilux-TL delivers a 50mm FOV (52.5mm if you want to split hairs over the exact 1.5 crop factor effect). I have a 50mm Summilux-M lens, but if the implementation of the Leica Q

s manual-by-wire is on TL lenses as well, then it might be time to double down on the TL system. I like the 50mm Lux-M on the T with it's effective 75mm FOV, and the 50mm 'Lux-SL could be an interesting one-for-one replacement for me Lux-M if the cost is comparable. 

SL not an option - budget mainly, but it's just too big a camera for a non-professional like me.

The whole issue of the M-mount's longevity vs. the T mount got a lot of traction, but with the SL now renaming it the L mount, I think the argument of T / TL lenses becoming obsolete is now a moot point. 

For the T owners who do not have an M but use M lenses, what's the vibe on this forum for pairing the T with TL lenses now that there is a lot of options available?

PS - anyone got a pic of the SL 24-90mm zoom lens on a T? Just to see it and not have to imagine it... 

I use T and M lenses on my T, and I am itching for a 50mm FOV prime lens for my T. For now, I am renting a 35mm Cron or Lux -M when I need s fast lens with a 50mm FOV. Results are fantastic and focusing is easy with the EVF.

I, for one, am holding out to await the upcoming 35mm Lux-TL instead of picking up a 35mm Cron or Lux-M.

Reasons are:

- Price ($2,000 USD) is a lot less than M lenses

- AF is now fast enough with 1.43 firmware and AF is more convenient than MF (usually),

- Imoroved auto white balance with T lenses

- Autoexposure mode(s) flexibility (& bracketing) with TL lenses, and

- Technology advances as time marches on. In a recent interview; some Leica honcho indicated they are designing their TL lenses to a higher standard (60lpi) to have even greater resolution than the current M standard of 40lpi.

I therefore am fine to commit to the TL lens line and to sticking with an APS-C sized sensor.

I expect the TL lens build quality will be good - although not up to the M lens high standard, but I do not foresee a problem here.

While I love the compact size of the M lenses, I look forward to the convenience (and accuracy) of the TL lens autofocus and these other benefits.

I also look forward to a T2 body one day, with even faster and more reliable AF. The TL lenses focus even faster on the SL - indicating their improved capability on a next-gen body.

Before the SL was introduced, I was instead leaning towards acquiring more M lenses. (I have and love the 50mm Cron-M). I do now feel Leica is committed to the TL line which has swayed my direction.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers

DGP

I may be lagging behind, but  although i love the rendering of the m-lenses, the dof often catches me out. First of all, the most impressive shots i get are with m- lenses. It seems the crop-factor is hard to work with as the evf is too positive of the result. Often not enough in the field of view is sharp. I am afraid the the same accounts to Sl lenses. 

I'll sit with Hune here, I had the T for quite a while with just a small selection of M lenses, and nothing flash or expensive. My best images are with them, and nothing I've taken so far with the T18-56 leads me to believe it is better. Yes it's more convenient, A/F, and the likes, but deep down I feel I could live with just the M-T adapter, and my M lenses, alongside the M6 (in the same bag).

If Leica took a leaf out of Fuji's book, and produced an A/F 35mm f1.4, like the XF35, I'd be in heaven. Somehow I fear they won't though, they seem hell-bent on building a monster, like the forthcoming 35/1.4. And to me that negates any use the T is. It's a perennial chestnut for me, I loathe the way Sony and Zeiss are headed, their lenses are bigger than Texas, and I can see TL lenses doing the same thing.

Gary

• Like 1

So far am sticking with my M lenses on the T.  Besides the great results, they are more compact.  I don't need autofocus, and more in tune with manual.  But I also realize for those new, to pick up M lenses for the T is crazy expensive.....at least for new lenses.  The secondary market is a good place to pick up some and the likely will hold value.

I am hesitant to buy the T lenses yet.  They are darn expensive for cropped lenses.  Only reason I see is to get the auto stuff.  But you are stuck with a lens really only useful on the T.  Makes no sense to me to put a cropped lens on the SL.  If the T2 becomes a higher resolution camera, then I might be a buyer.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'll sit with Hune here, I had the T for quite a while with just a small selection of M lenses, and nothing flash or expensive. My best images are with them, and nothing I've taken so far with the T18-56 leads me to believe it is better. Yes it's more convenient, A/F, and the likes, but deep down I feel I could live with just the M-T adapter, and my M lenses, alongside the M6 (in the same bag).

If Leica took a leaf out of Fuji's book, and produced an A/F 35mm f1.4, like the XF35, I'd be in heaven. Somehow I fear they won't though, they seem hell-bent on building a monster, like the forthcoming 35/1.4. And to me that negates any use the T is. It's a perennial chestnut for me, I loathe the way Sony and Zeiss are headed, their lenses are bigger than Texas, and I can see TL lenses doing the same thing.

Gary

I hope it doesn't turn out that way, I thought with the 23mm it hadn't, and I sincerely hope the 35/1.4 won't be appreciably heavier and bulkier otherwise I would agree with you.

I hope it doesn't turn out that way, I thought with the 23mm it hadn't, and I sincerely hope the 35/1.4 won't be appreciably heavier and bulkier otherwise I would agree with you.

Dimensions:    2.76 x 3.03" (70 x 77 mm) without hood

Weight:      15.10 oz (428 g)

Slightly bulkier and heavier than the 11-23 and a hood similar to the one of the 55-135.

That made me pass. I was lucky enough to get a nice used Lux 35 FLE last week. So far, so good.

Jean-Pierre

• Like 3