Vignette problem

Likaleica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Running backwards, Drive on continuous medium, Shutter speed priority.  24/90 at 24.  Some frames show vignetting, others don't.  

Thoughts?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Filter on the lens ?

OIS on or off ?

Focussing continuous or static ?

lens hood fitted or not ?

no idea if these factors supply a clue or not ....... but they are the only other variables I can think of that might impact ....

does look like the sort of physical vignetting you get due to filters encroaching on the image field at extreme w/a rather than optical vignetting to me..... the puzzle is why some photos and not others......

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

Did you have Image Stabilisation active?  I wonder whether it's possible that the intrinsic back and forwards movement of the internal elements of the IS system have temporarily, marginally altered the focal length and included a rim that's produced the vignetting.  Just a notion.

Pete.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for all the thoughts.  There is nothing different in the camera or lens between the two shots.  I ran backwards while Easton ran towards me.  I held the camera at his level and pressed the shutter release with the drive on continuous medium.  I will have several captures in a row without the vignetting, then several with, and so on.  

UV filter and lens hood on and snug, OIS on, focusing static and field

It seems to be a software problem associated with the drive since I have not seen it under any other shooting conditions.  Maybe something Leica needs to look into.

At 24, there is some vignetting, which is to be corrected in camera.  At other focal lengths, not so much.  So if the camera was confused about focal length and processed some of the images for a longer focal length, you could see dark corners.  Did you save JPEG + DNG? Does this happen when you run forward, or only backwards?

scott 

• Like 1

At 24, there is some vignetting, which is to be corrected in camera.  At other focal lengths, not so much.  So if the camera was confused about focal length and processed some of the images for a longer focal length, you could see dark corners.  Did you save JPEG + DNG? Does this happen when you run forward, or only backwards?

scott 

these aren't dark corners...... they are black ...... still convinced they are what the lens is seeing and not optically generated.

I think the backward movement/jerking is they key ..... I suspect the mobile lens element bits are momentarily generating sub 24mm FOV and you are seeing the lens hood or filter in the corners ......

try looking through the EVF at 24mm ..... and push your finger even a tiny bit over the lens front flange top left and you will realise how close this is to the edge of the lens FOV ....... there is almost no margin before it is easily visible as 'vignetting' 

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 2

these aren't dark corners...... they are black ...... still convinced they are what the lens is seeing and not optically generated.

I think the backward movement/jerking is they key ..... I suspect the mobile lens element bits are momentarily generating sub 24mm FOV and you are seeing the lens hood or filter in the corners ......

try looking through the EVF at 24mm ..... and push your finger even a tiny bit over the lens front flange top left and you will realise how close this is to the edge of the lens FOV ....... there is almost no margin before it is easily visible as 'vignetting' 

Makes sense.

scott 

Only tried it in reverse taking pictures of kid running at me.

I agree with thighslapper. If you compare how small a distance you moved backwards between these frames (by the grassy spots in the snow, about 18-24") with how much more of the tree/fenceline in the background is visible in the second shot - it does look as though the lens went to a wider setting.

You clip about 2% off the right side, while adding about 7% on the left side. Net 5% gain (i.e. the lens was temporarily about a 23mm).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Hey Tim,

Just noting here that I also see the same problem on my 24-90 with SL. Some photos have it, some don't. It's been driving me nuts for months now, and it makes sense what Andy had noted about the lens temporarily being slightly wider and not having the in-camera picture processing applied. I was wondering if anyone found a solution to this. 

Chris

I wasn’t aware of others running into this.  A couple questions and things to try...

1) Do you have a filter on the lens? While you should be able to use a filter even at 24, it would be interesting whether this physical vignetting is caused by the lens body, the lens shade, or the filter. My guess would be a filter, but I was curious.

2) On images where you run into this, is the lens still identified correctly in Lightroom (or whatever software you are using)? 

3) Have you tried cleaning the contacts in case this is a communication issue between the camera body and lens?

4) I assume the problem is always at 24mm. Is it always at or near close focus as well?

5) Do you run into this, like the original poster, when shooting on continuous drive mode? Some shots in a series correct while others are not?

It does sound like the camera is failing to write out the correct opcode to the file, so you are seeing a wider view than the lens normally shows, and physical vignetting is creeping in a 24mm that would normally be cropped by the distortion correction.

the reality is that the lens makes big pillows at 24mm. the camera corrects it and put it in .DMG

If you use a program that doesn't read the camera profile, like Luminar, it revels what the lens actually shoots.

so to the first question... it probably didn't embed the lens correction in the camera.

Edited by Photoworks

12 hours ago, Photoworks said:

the reality is that the lens makes big pillows at 24mm. the camera corrects it and put it in .DMG

If you use a program that doesn't read the camera profile, like Luminar, it revels what the lens actually shoots.

so to the first question... it probably didn't embed the lens correction in the camera.

Agreed. But why would it be inconsistent? It should always embed the profile.  Chris is seeing it only sometimes (which is why I recommended cleaning the contacts in case the camera is struggling to identify the lens).  Seems weird.

6 minutes ago, Jared said:

Agreed. But why would it be inconsistent? It should always embed the profile.  Chris is seeing it only sometimes (which is why I recommended cleaning the contacts in case the camera is struggling to identify the lens).  Seems weird.

there are so many other bugs that need to be fixed in this camera.. I think it is just that.

If you are seeing it during shooting it could be the lens contact, I would check on the SD card. maybe it is to slow, or getting to have defective cells.

8 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

there are so many other bugs that need to be fixed in this camera.. I think it is just that.

If you are seeing it during shooting it could be the lens contact, I would check on the SD card. maybe it is to slow, or getting to have defective cells.

So many bugs on the SL?  It’s not a perfect camera, certainly, but I wouldn’t have considered it “buggy”.  It’s been out for five years now with a few firmware fixes along the way, mostly aimed at supporting new lenses or providing minor feature enhancements.  I don’t see it as buggy. Of course, not much seems buggy to me after owning an X1D, so maybe it’s me.

I think it is the RAW converter you are using. Some converters correct according to the embedded JPEG in camera correction (like Lightroom or Iridient developer), some don't, like ON1. The open source Raw converter RAWTherapee describes it correctly: it has an option "distortion correction" where 'the distortion correction automatically corrects lens distortion in RAW files by matching it against the embedded JPEG image if one exists and has its lens distortion auto corrected by the camera

Accordingly you see in Rawtherapee that it corrects 24 mm rather heavily (your dark corners) and onwards to 50mm less and less and from 50mm onwards the lens correction is zero. If I invoke the distortion correction option the heavy vignetting is (nearly) gone in my 24mm pictures.

So no bug in the SL, it is the RAW converter☺️

Donald