Who likes the provided strap what alternatives are there ?

rfunnell

Advertisement (gone after registration)

for me the originsl strap works fine so far. ...

The supplied strap has worked okay, but it's a bit too short for my druthers and it tends to get tangled up too easily. 

The cord type strap I bought works okay too, but again it's a bit too short ... never gets tangled however. 

Luckily, on this camera it's very easy to take straps on and off... much easier than the split-ring style strap lugs. 

The supported strap is a shame...I got the Artisan & Artist ACAM E25 Easy Adjust until there is a better alternative.

You would have thought at a price for the body of over £5000, Leica could at least have given us their standard leather strap. 

• Like 1

I think Leica realizes, like all the other companies do, that straps and such are very personal things and opt to just supply a solid, utilitarian strap because they are expected to supply one. The users who don't care just use it; the others get what they like because it matters to them. 

Whoever hammered on me about my strap comments, I do apologize.  Didn't meant to offend.  I agree that a comfortable, workable camera strap is vitally important.  I have an old Domke strap that migrates every time I buy a new camera.  So I do appreciate that.  Again, apologies for offending anyone.

• Like 4

What about using Sun Sniper?

I had it with my Nikons and it was such a joy to use. Anyone tried / considered?

http://www.sun-sniper.com/en/

I have one. It's very convenient and the camera is out of the way until I want to use it. However, it's a great way to lose lens caps, particularly the kind that slides from the top over the lens hood. I am loath to use it with the EVF attached as I am in constant fear of dropping that, too.

• Like 1

For use in the far east, the straps that let a camera hang off your hip, have a high risk of the camera being smashed off. Motorcycles and taxis if they are being generous, allow a 1mm clearance as they zip past when you are crossing the street. "Zebra Crossings" or traffic lights with a green walking man, where motorists politely stop to allow pedestrians to cross, are unknown in the far east other than in Japan and Taiwan. There, it is pretty much a capital offence to cross when the red man is showing, even if there is not a car within 10km. On my frequent far east trips, I always wear my camera round my neck or with the strap wrapped round my hand. 

Wilson

I have one. It's very convenient and the camera is out of the way until I want to use it. However, it's a great way to lose lens caps, particularly the kind that slides from the top over the lens hood. I am loath to use it with the EVF attached as I am in constant fear of dropping that, too.

Dropping an attached EVF of the SL cannot be an issue, right :rolleyes: ? Using SunSniper with my Nikons was a real joy ( also with some big heavy lenses! ), I think I'll go for the same solution with SL - I don't think I like the provided strap...Actually I don't think I like position of the lugs.

John, 

I feel the padded neck on the eBay strap bit might be a bit narrow to spread the ton weight of the SL and 24-90, let alone the near black hole mass it will be when the 90-280 comes along (will it cause gravity waves as you move it around?)  :)

Otherwise a nice looking strap. 

Wilson

don't ask me how i stumbled across this link to straps from www.deadcameras.com      , but i thought their XL STRAP would be perfect for the SL.    they're handmade in portugal; communications by email were quick and easy, and the strap, with its extra-wide pad, is well-designed and very comfortable.  it comes with optional mounting rings , so the strap can be moved to different camera types.    i'll post photos later.  

• Like 1

deadcameras.com ... another very nice looking strap. I could see one of those working well for the SL as well as my Nikon F6, or the Leica R8 for that matter. 

My Leicatime strap should be here in a few days. All my big equipment expenses are done with, I have no urge to buy much else at all now that my M-P and SL kits are complete, so playing around with a couple of neck strap accessories is not too expensive and is fun.

Never mind that I wish I had more time to actually make photographs instead ... :-\

• Like 2

It is the DeadCamera strap that I pointed to, on their eBay advert.

I sent them an email suggesting they advertise it as suitable for the SL, and replied thus..

Thank you for your email.
We have sold this strap in the past for Leica SL users. What I suggest is to use the bigger pad (see photo bellow) instead of the slim pad.
If you decide to buy let me know the size you wish and if you want the bigger pad (same price).
We have a better suited strap ( the XL strap) in case you decide to use the Leica SL with heavy lenses, see our other listings.

Regards,
Ricardo

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

A package arrived from Luigi and Ginevra yesterday: it contained the extra-long GENIUS strap I ordered. Such beautiful leather! And such a good fit! 

I fitted it last night and took a walk with it this morning, toting the SL with the 24-90 mm lens fitted. It does its job well and feels good. No break-in needed. 

Quite a change from the strap provided in the box ...!