Who likes the provided strap what alternatives are there ?

rfunnell

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Stopped by Camera West, the local Leica Boutique in my hometwon of Walnut Creek, CA recently to visit good friend Hal Kam and to check the latest available must-have goodies for my various Leicas.

My V-Lux 114 and the SL both are relatively new and were equipped with the factory-supplied straps..................which I despise. Sorry Leica, but you need to do better - cheap black nylon webbing's just not good enough.

Camera West recently started selling both the 4 V Design ( please see Fang's post at top of this page ) and the Harry Benz products and now has a nice selection of straps to suit every taste. I picked up a 4 V Design strap for the V-114, and one of Harry Benz's custom-made Brogue straps in a rich & elegant British Tan with red edges for the Leica SL, which Harry produces for Camera West.

Both new straps are now on their respective cameras , but what I found to be a particularly pleasant surprise was that the soft, padded 4V shoulder pad from the 4V strap actually fits the Benz strap perfectly, so I swithed the pad to the Brogue since I think that it's certainly more useful on the hefty SL package than the light all-plastic V-114.

Couldn't be happier with this solution. The 'neckpad' on the Brogue allows the SL to now just that bit higher around my neck, thus preventing the rear LCD from touching my beltbuckle and getting scratched - while the tough waterbuffalo leather is soft, supple and very comfortable to carry all day long.

JZG

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the many recommendations for the Tie Her Up SL strap, I got one for myself. It really is beautiful, well made and reasonably comfortable. However, there is one big negative--the strap slides off the shoulder super easily. For me, that is unacceptable. How do other people deal the slippage problem?

Make your own straps

Mine are fine thin straps of kangaroo leather. On most of my cameras...very heavy cameras (MF) I use neoprene which "gives" a bit.

Strong and one doesn't have huge sausages of straps...any length you like from wrist to bandolier. I have red and neautral, black and brown..any colour i want...

But I'm whistling in the breeze... ;-))

Keep struggling...

Edited by david strachan

Based on the many recommendations for the Tie Her Up SL strap, I got one for myself. It really is beautiful, well made and reasonably comfortable. However, there is one big negative--the strap slides off the shoulder super easily. For me, that is unacceptable. How do other people deal the slippage problem?

Suede lining on shoulder pads with the Luigi Crescenzi straps I use. 

A shirt or jacket with button-down epaulettes?  I recall that military ones often have these.

Pete.

I don't think that will work for me. The Tie Her Up strap is a work of art, but form must follow function in my book. One solution would be to exchange the 100cm strap that I got for a 125 cm one that I can wear across my body, sling-like. I have written to the manufacturer to see if they will make such an exchange.

In the past, I have used the UpStrap for all of my cameras. Shoulder slippage does not occur. When I got the SL, I thought I would get a fancy strap befitting the camera. Sometimes, fancy is not better.

Rob

• 2 months later...