Sticky Paterson reels...I've tried it all and nothing works. :(

rpavich

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Oh man am I frustrated.

I have a Paterson tank with two of the plastic auto loading reels and a pair of "big tab" Samigon reels also.

For some reason, no matter what I do, I get the reel about 2/3 loaded and then it jams up so much I tear sprocket holes.

Nothing helps. I've tried:

1.) Washing the reels in hot bleach water.
2.) Scrubbing the reels with beach water and a toothbrush.
3.) Rubbing pencil lead in the guides of the reels.
4.) Blow drying my hands, reels and everything before starting to make sure that there is no moisture.

Nothing...I mean nothing helps.

I just tried a half dozen times with the same outcome...jam ups.

Luckily I had a Hewes reel and I put the negative strip in the paterson tank, got the hewes reel, and loaded the neg strip on the hewes reel and put it in the paterson tank with the lid on it until I can get a metal tank. I'm sure it's got creases and finger prints all over it but at least some of the shots will be saved.

I can't figure it out...I've done it all...and I always get to the same point....2/3 jam up.

I'm about to junk the whole plastic reel mess and go metal tank I'm so mad.

I do not use photoflo either, just a water rinse.

I don't know what else to try. I read about folks who never clean anything and have great success and others who have to try all the tricks or they jam up too.

I don't know what else to try. I read about folks who never clean anything and have great success and others who have to try all the tricks or they jam up too.

Being gentle helps. It is true that every now and again a Paterson reel will snag, even if fully washed and dried. But when you first feel the film start to resist don't carry on with wide sweeping arc's as you wind, nudge the film on with short small twists, a fraction at a time. It hardly takes any more time, which I know a lot of people may complain about, a few seconds lost in a day, but short and gentle is the way to go. It is the type of film base that causes the binding, some are more slippery than others, some are more rigid that others.

Steve

• Like 2

Being gentle helps. It is true that every now and again a Paterson reel will snag, even if fully washed and dried. But when you first feel the film start to resist don't carry on with wide sweeping arc's as you wind, nudge the film on with short small twists, a fraction at a time. It hardly takes any more time, which I know a lot of people may complain about, a few seconds lost in a day, but short and gentle is the way to go. It is the type of film base that causes the binding, some are more slippery than others, some are more rigid that others.

Steve

Thanks steve, ill see if being gentle helps at those times.

The Paterson reels can be a little um character-building.  However, I used to find that rather than using the ratchet mechanism to get film on to the spirals, I had more success just gently pushing the film onto the spiral.  I think some of the problems can be caused by the little ball-bearings getting stuck.

The other thing that helped me was when I had finished with the reels and washed them, I would leave them to drain on top of a radiator for a few hours, so I was sure they were completely dry.

• Like 1

I just thought of something. I've been shooting bulk Kentmere and bulk HP-5 for a month. I rotate the knob 31 times to get 36 exposures. I probably get one or two more out of a roll...37 or 38.

Is it possible that the length of the film is too long for the plastic rolls? In other words...is it possible that the leading end is just getting to the end of the inner spiral, stopping, and then cannot wind on any more film? Maybe I'm chasing the wrong problem...maybe it's not stickiness but length?

Edited by rpavich

Well...I finally got these negatives developed. I cleaned the rolls again, this time using washing soda and dawn in very hot water.

I rolled them in a dark room instead of the changing bag and just barely got them to go. They wanted to stick but I eased into it as Steve suggested.

I wish I could solve this 100%. 

I was glad to know that I was able to load the Hewes steel roll if necessary though. That was nice. I bought a two roll tank and another Hewes roll just in case I need to go that direction from now on.

Edited by rpavich

I just thought of something. I've been shooting bulk Kentmere and bulk HP-5 for a month. I rotate the knob 31 times to get 36 exposures. I probably get one or two more out of a roll...37 or 38.

Is it possible that the length of the film is too long for the plastic rolls? In other words...is it possible that the leading end is just getting to the end of the inner spiral, stopping, and then cannot wind on any more film? Maybe I'm chasing the wrong problem...maybe it's not stickiness but length?

It's probably worthwhile sacrificing a roll of film and try loading in daylight, then with your eyes closed.  Also, are you using a changing bag?  I used to find loading film in a changing bag more difficult than in the darkroom.

• Like 2

It's probably worthwhile sacrificing a roll of film and try loading in daylight, then with your eyes closed.  Also, are you using a changing bag?  I used to find loading film in a changing bag more difficult than in the darkroom.

The problem is that everything was going along great since I bought the reels...that's been a few months...and then all of a sudden, I can't hardly get a roll all of the way onto the reels. That's what's puzzling me. 

I do think that sacrificing a roll and observing what's happening would be good, that way I could possibly know if it's the darned ball bearings or what.

Edited by rpavich

Stupid question: did you cut the corners of the film?

This has caused me problems. When I rewind the film in the camera I try to listen for the film coming off the spool so I can get the film out with the leader exposed. Then I can round the edges easily and pre load the film onto the reel in daylight before finishing loading in the dark bag. Sometimes I mis-judge and have to do it all in the bag and that's when I sometimes struggle to get the film to load fully onto the reel.

Mark, nice tip about drying the reels properly. I have been putting them back in the P tank. I can see the bearings are starting to rust!

• Like 1

I've taken to using a 250 ml single reel stainless tank, as I seldom process more than a single roll. I switched to Rodinal as a one-shot use, so the small tank makes it quite economical and fast.

Well..I did this. I already had the Hewes reel and just had to buy a small tank from the FleaBay.

I'm going to still try and figure out why this is happening (it never used to so something has changed) but in the mean time, I can use the steel tank and reel.

Why not try a Jobo 1501 reel, in the small tank 1520 that you can use by inversion, just like the Paterson. There are no ball bearings. You just use small alternate hand twists. You can fit two reels in a 1520.

http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/jobo-developing-tank-1501-reel/p760

The tank is shown on that page also.

This might help...

http://www.jobo-usa.com/images/manuals/Loading_roll_film.pdf

and this guys good at it... not recommended to pull the film out of the can like this though! The second version shows the hand twist method.

John

Edited by jpattison

Why not try a Jobo 1501 reel, in the small tank 1520 that you can use by inversion, just like the Paterson. There are no ball bearings. You just use small alternate hand twists. You can fit two reels in a 1520.

This might help...

and this guys good at it... not recommended to pull the film out of the can like this though! The second version shows the hand twist method.

John

I never heard of it. That's pretty freaky. I'll check it out.

This might help...

and this guys good at it... not recommended to pull the film out of the can like this though!

John

Does it REALLY go on like that??

thats pretty slick.

RP, forgot to say in the thread "I like film"
In the black cotton changing bag , I get out all the film of the metal cartridge and I wind again

to have the beginning of the end rounded cut ..... and all this , with a roll of 37-38 poses.
I have no problem with my 2 tanks Paterson.

Best

Henry

i had this problems too at the beginning , now its very seldom having lttle problems,

practising helped, have one Film for dayligth practising :

Cutting the edges and bend the edge a little upside.

everything has to be dry and clean, clean which  it is after watering.

In a sack in summer Your hands may sweat - You get in trouble.

Connecting the edge of the FIlm to the reel I do in daylight.

I prefere to spool in a dark room to the sack. Which can be any small room without light

( and no one cames in " Daddy what are You doing there ?)

I try to stay calm .

Different Films go different through the spool.

Forcing does not help

Its not witchcraft

And of course a shorter Film may get easier on the spool.

I use the Paterson System it works well. The stainles steel derivates shall be good may be better.

• Like 1