Leica Q Firmware 1.1 has been released

Feudal1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Seems strange they fixed something (?) no one was complaining about and didn't address any of the issues in the firmware upgrade wish list.

it was a "wish list" obviously Leica's software engineers have a different agenda  and schedule than we do.

Edited by prk60091

You will need an SD card reader attached by USB (usually).  If you happen to have a Mac, often times they have an SD card reader built-in, many laptop PCs do as well.

For the record, and SD card reader is the best way to get the photos from your camera to your computer, it's much faster and less prone to issues.

Thank you! I just looked and there is an SD card slot on my Macbook Pro.  Problem solved.

• Like 1

Seems strange they fixed something (?) no one was complaining about and didn't address any of the issues in the firmware upgrade wish list.

Not strange.  They fixed a couple of functions that were part of the original system specification but which weren't working according to the design spec.  Our wish lists have focused on changing the way that the camera functions.  That may not be difficult in practice, but it means issuing new operating instructions to every owner.  I expect that such changes could eventually appear, but only after extensive testing.  If not, then they will be incorporated in the next version of the Q.  We should start a thread for "what we want in the next model to be released". 

Edited by lucerne

Thank you! I just looked and there is an SD card slot on my Macbook Pro.  Problem solved.

Don't forget that when using that card slot, your MacBook will automatically mount the card.  When you have finished using the card it is wise to do a proper "eject" and not simply pull the card out. 

Find the icon on your desktop for the SD card (usually at top right on the desktop), and drag it to the trash. Once the icon is no longer visible on your computer it is safe to pull it out.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

jaapv posted a very useful piece of advice a few months ago - set your SD card to read only before inserting it into your computer.  That will help protect you in case of an accidental removal of the card.  After reading jaap's recommendation I've made it a habit to set my cards read only as soon as I pull them out of my camera. 

Your camera will warn you if you forgot to set your card back to read/write when you replace it.

Edited by Joshua Lowe
  • Like 1

Well - I just actually did the upgrade and had a minor but briefly frightening experience.  After the camera said "Firmware has been updated, turn the camera off" I did, but then it wouldn't turn back on.  After a very minor heart attack I picked myself off the floor and pulled out the battery.  That did the trick!  The camera powered back on just fine, but I am assuming this isn't normal, I lost all my settings and had to reprogram.  All seems well now though.

If you read through the instructions, you should have noticed this:"9. After the update process please restart the camera (if necessary remove and reinsert the battery). "

i doubt seriously that Leica Legal would ever let the engineer's remove a setting (ie DNG+jpg to DNG only  or  remove movie mode)

so lets start a new wish list /bug squasher

It's not removing a setting, it's adding a function when they would let us to set the output to DNG only. Not sure why you think their legal would complain about it.

well this firmware "update" really is a damp squib………I guess Leica doesn't read this  or other forums.

I can't see any reason to update my Q right now.

Edited by Guest

Well - I just actually did the upgrade and had a minor but briefly frightening experience.  After the camera said "Firmware has been updated, turn the camera off" I did, but then it wouldn't turn back on.  After a very minor heart attack I picked myself off the floor and pulled out the battery.  That did the trick!  The camera powered back on just fine, but I am assuming this isn't normal, I lost all my settings and had to reprogram.  All seems well now though.

Had the same issue and was ready to call Leica until I switched batteries and turned the camera back on.  Everything appears to be fine now.  I don't believe that I lost any of my settings.

Mmmmm - I get the email, click on the "Leica Q: Firmware Update 1.1" link which goes onto the announcement page, then I click on the link "Leica Q Firmware Download" and it opens a blank tab with the heading "Blank Page". Not a lot of use...

Edited by AndrewDD

Ok for a technology luddite such as me, these installation instructions are troublesome;

Firmware Update Procedure

1. Download an updated version of the firmware.

2. Copy the firmware file onto a SD Memory Card in its top level folder.

3. Make sure to turn off the power switch on the camera.

4. Insert the fully charged battery to the body. If the battery is not fully charged, the update process screen will not appear.

5. Insert the SD Memory Card into the camera.

6. Turn the camera – while simultaneously pressing the video release button – on.

7. The firmware update screen will appear. Press OK.

8. The LEICA Q will start the update process. The firmware update will take about 90 seconds. 

How do I copy the file onto an SD memory card in its top level folder?

Thanks for any help.

Hi,

For 2 above, can the FW simply be copied onto my current SD card (e.g., via USB) that I'm using for pictures, or is it necessary (or maybe even safer) to use another (blank?) SD card for this FW update procedure?

Many thanks!

Hi,

For 2 above, can the FW simply be copied onto my current SD card (e.g., via USB) that I'm using for pictures, or is it necessary (or maybe even safer) to use another (blank?) SD card for this FW update procedure?

Many thanks!

Yes. But you must ensure that you don't place the original update file into a sub-folder on the Sdcard.  I.e it goes onto the card at the top level and that mustn't be a folder as was suggested in an earlier post!  Also, make sure that you have enough space on the card to hold the update.   The update routine will recognise the update file by its unique three character file name extension.

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1