Leica Q Firmware 1.1 has been released

Feudal1

?  I see a mono image in both viewfinder and lcd screen.   A half press makes no difference.  I do use back-button focus.  Don't know if that changes anything.  1.1 has not changed anything in that respect.

Ahhh, I see.  Hit the "set" button.   It cycles the display mode and one of the modes is color.

Where is that "set" button, please? Thanks.

New 'bug'?

i took my Q out to take some night shots and it was shooting in continous mode although I had the switch firmly on single shot. 

I removed the the battery and that did not restore single shot mode.  I put camera in full manual mode and single shot reappeared, even after I returned the shutter speed to 'A'.

anyone else experiencing this 'bug'? Or is it hardware related???

Hi, I got my Q the other day, today I updated to firmware 1.1, and I think that it seemed that it makes a little bit more noise (it can be me who forgot how it sounded before). When the camera is turned on, when I put the ear to the lens, I can hear a humming even when the focus botton is not activated, OIS is not engaged. It stops only when the camera goes to sleep! I suppose that it is the focus engine that running and is ready, as I have understood that it is focus by wire, so that would explain why the above also applies when it is on manual focus. Can you confirm that it is the same on your Q? Kind regards Henrik

For the life of me I cannot figure out how/what  "Improvement of the image quality in lower ISO settings" means?  

Would that not be messing around with a sensor that is already delivering incredible IQ?  

I really am not an expert in this area by any means, just concerned that if this "remaps" or in some way impacts the sensor from it's original output?  

I shot some today with the new firmware, but the light was so bad I cannot make any informed judgement  Guess I can try tomorrow....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For the life of me I cannot figure out how/what  "Improvement of the image quality in lower ISO settings" means?  

Perhaps Leica changed the math.  See Demosaicing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for an idea of the kinds of things they could do.   Perhaps they are now using different interpolation algorithms for low ISO images vs high ISO images.  Or something like that.  Happy new year.

Best I can tell, this refers to reduced banding in shadows.  This is what I've noticed with the new firmware.

Best I can tell, this refers to reduced banding in shadows.  This is what I've noticed with the new firmware.

Thanks for the info.  Interesting Wiki read.  

Have any of you seen any changes to the IQ vs. 1.0 in terms of color rendering, etc?  Just wondering, as if they did introduce new math for demosaicing and optimizing shadow recovery, wonder if this would impact the overall rendering of the sensor from its pre-firmware upgrade output.  

Seems possible, and my hope would be that the Leica folks would know not to mess with a good thing!  Probably my tortured mind seeing things.

I did notice that WB is better indoors under decent light.

Happy New Year as well!!

Thanks for the info.  Interesting Wiki read.  

Have any of you seen any changes to the IQ vs. 1.0 in terms of color rendering, etc?  Just wondering, as if they did introduce new math for demosaicing and optimizing shadow recovery, wonder if this would impact the overall rendering of the sensor from its pre-firmware upgrade output.  

Seems possible, and my hope would be that the Leica folks would know not to mess with a good thing!  Probably my tortured mind seeing things.

I did notice that WB is better indoors under decent light.

Happy New Year as well!!

Haven't noticed anything re: color rendering, but white balance, which was already pretty good, seems to be a bit more accurate.  Splitting hairs really -- the banding is the only thing where the results were noticeably different, allowing me to shoot with greater confidence in the ISO 6400-12500 range.  There's obviously a lot more Leica can do with the Q firmware, but the fact that any firmware was released at all within the camera's first year is good news for everyone.  Camera companies need to pay attention to Fuji's model on software updates.  I'm still blown away by how much my X-T1 has improved with just software.

Happy New Year!

A slightly dim question.  I have a fully charged battery and a newly formatted card.  What exactly is the top folder? The card shows up named DSC.  Does the downlooad go into DCIM?  thanks

No just copy the download straight onto the card and do not put it in any folder. You'll then see the folders such as DCIM and the update file at the bottom.

A slightly dim question.  I have a fully charged battery and a newly formatted card.  What exactly is the top folder? The card shows up named DSC.  Does the downlooad go into DCIM?  thanks

No, do not place the files into a folder. Drag and drop directly on top of the SD card icon.  The files should be saved next to the DCIM folder. Ideally, there shouldn't even be a DCIM folder.  You should format the card before proceeding.

No, do not place the files into a folder. Drag and drop directly on top of the SD card icon.  The files should be saved next to the DCIM folder. Ideally, there shouldn't even be a DCIM folder.  You should format the card before proceeding.

Correct!

unfortunately the official instructions introduce the phrase "top folder".   That's misleading. Just place the update file straight onto the card.   It's best if the card contains no folders and then there can be no misunderstanding.   

Just updated mine, process worked as explained, had to remove bat and put it on again to have the Q restarted.

Correct!

unfortunately the official instructions introduce the phrase "top folder".   That's misleading. Just place the update file straight onto the card.   It's best if the card contains no folders and then there can be no misunderstanding.   

I took and empty card and just slided the update file direct in the card and it worked (am under OS X El capitán), so simple. I don't even know what a topfolder can be... :D

Edited by Lucena
  • Like 1