Leica Q Firmware 1.1 has been released

Feudal1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's a pretty modest set of improvements, but the "improvement of image quality in lower ISO settings" is interesting.  I haven't installed it to my Q just yet, but will do so shortly.  It's available here:

https://us.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Support/Downloads?category=124335&subcategory=&type=&language=93871

Version 1.1 Performance Improvements:

- Improvement of the image quality in lower ISO settings

Bug Fixes:

- Exposure has been corrected in digiscoping mode after switching off and on again.

- Improvement of the Live View in monochrome mode in combination with AF tracking. After installation of the new firmware the Live View now shows a monochrome image. For proper focusing the camera switches to color when pressing the shutter button half way.

• Like 1

Well - I just actually did the upgrade and had a minor but briefly frightening experience.  After the camera said "Firmware has been updated, turn the camera off" I did, but then it wouldn't turn back on.  After a very minor heart attack I picked myself off the floor and pulled out the battery.  That did the trick!  The camera powered back on just fine, but I am assuming this isn't normal, I lost all my settings and had to reprogram.  All seems well now though.

Ok for a technology luddite such as me, these installation instructions are troublesome;

Firmware Update Procedure

1. Download an updated version of the firmware.

2. Copy the firmware file onto a SD Memory Card in its top level folder.

3. Make sure to turn off the power switch on the camera.

4. Insert the fully charged battery to the body. If the battery is not fully charged, the update process screen will not appear.

5. Insert the SD Memory Card into the camera.

6. Turn the camera – while simultaneously pressing the video release button – on.

7. The firmware update screen will appear. Press OK.

8. The LEICA Q will start the update process. The firmware update will take about 90 seconds. 

How do I copy the file onto an SD memory card in its top level folder?

Thanks for any help.

Ok for a technology luddite such as me, these installation instructions are troublesome;

(...)

How do I copy the file onto an SD memory card in its top level folder?

What kind of computer do you use and do you happen to know what kind of operating system it runs?

You will need an SD card reader attached by USB (usually).  If you happen to have a Mac, often times they have an SD card reader built-in, many laptop PCs do as well.

For the record, and SD card reader is the best way to get the photos from your camera to your computer, it's much faster and less prone to issues.

• Like 1

I have installed the new version and taken some test shots. I think I can see some improvement (it could just be wishful thinking). There still is some banding, but the lines look more straight and it's almost gone with noise reduction level set to about 70 in LR.

Images can be found here, manipulated to show potential banding (mainly by setting shadows +100)

You can find the RAW files here: