Leica S2 vs 006 - differences in image quality?

Jon Warwick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm getting closer to deciding if I'd like to buy an S.  The choice will be either an S2, or an S 006 (S-E).

I understand the obvious differences - the S 006 got a 920k dot screen, better autofocus, lower base ISO.

But my question is purely about output and look of the files. From the press release in 2012, Leica apparently commented that "New Image And Sensor Board For More Quality And Higher Speed: One of the most remarkable innovations in the Leica S is its new image and sensor board. The upgrade of these electronic components has led to the increased imaging quality of the Leica S, as well as the improvement of noise characteristics, natural color rendition and the precision of its white balance"

I understand the sensor in both the S2 and S 006 are the same, but presumably processing + wiring can be tweaked in all manner of ways to improve the quality of output.

So my question - is the 006 image quality really better in LARGE print sizes??  For example, do you find its colours are more accurate; is there more "bite" to S 006 files in terms of pixel acuity .... etc?

Many thanks for your help.

Even if the image quality is identical I find the faster AF and quieter shuttler a tangible advantage to the S-E (I sold my S2-P and bought an S-E). If the price difference is small, I'd suggest the S-E.  Others have said that the S-E has about a half-stop improvement in image quality wrt noise. I think you'll get a bigger improvement through experience and post processing abilities, but every half-stop helps!

If you can afford it, look for a certified S 006 to get the 3 year warrantee rather than the 1 year with the S-E.  Like many things, it comes down to what you can afford. Given that and S2 with a 70mm can be had for the price of an M240 body, it's a great deal.

Regards,

Dean

• Like 3

I had an S2 and now have an S-E.  I suspect that if you do a tripod test in medium light, you wouldn't find a decisive difference in the files.  They are both very good with the edge going to the SE/(006) with its lower minimum ISO and its improvement in high ISO performance.

However for me, two features stand out.:

The AF speed & accuracy is much better on the SE/(006).  For people photography this can be major.  The first time I shot the S2 on a wedding assignment, I couldn't get the AF to lock-on in low light.  So the bride walking down the aisle towards me left me with one frame and not the usual few to choose from.  I didn't suffer that with an M9, so it was a big problem for me.  Similar in street portraiture, at a protest march, or such.  Hit rate was too low because the subject had moved whist the AF was hunting.  Once again pictures were missed and as a consequence I stopped using the S2 for anything other than static shots.  This is no longer a problem with the SE/(006) and my M9s have been sold.

Next, the virtual horizon on the SE/(006) is a joy to use and reduces the need for cropping when straightening an image.  Further, for stitched panoramics the virtual horizon ensures/confirms that all is level and there's no need to deep crop a scene.

Gary

• Like 3

Thanks to both of you for your useful comments.

Regarding the virtual horizon, does it work equally well when the S 006 (S-E) is sitting on a tripod either horizontally or vertically? I assume yes, given the virtual horizon has dual axes, but wanted to be 100% sure!  The ability to do stitched panoramics using a nodal slide (with the camera sitting vertically and maybe doing 2-3 stiches) is something that would be immensely useful to me if the virtual horizon works well ....

Edited by Jon Warwick

Thanks to both of you for your useful comments.

Regarding the virtual horizon, does it work equally well when the S 006 (S-E) is sitting on a tripod either horizontally or vertically? I assume yes, given the virtual horizon has dual axes, but wanted to be 100% sure!  The ability to do stitched panoramics using a nodal slide (with the camera sitting vertically and maybe doing 2-3 stiches) is something that would be immensely useful to me if the virtual horizon works well ....

Yes, Jon.  It works perfectly well in both positions.  I have custom set the VH to the front button, by the lens mount, so it's incredibly easy to activate.

For Panoramics, i most frequently use the camera in the portrait position and don't hesitate to shoot up to 7 frames with it.  The Secret Service building  on the S Image thread is an example of that.

An RRS 90 degree adapter plate is almost permanently attached to my camera and a short RRS Nodal Slide is used for panoramics.  Both of these will slot into my Arca Swiss Pano Ball Head, but I probably would have bought the RRS version if not for the import duty.  

I also occasionally fit the Nodal Slide to a very small RRS ball head which is attached to an old Leica Table Top tripod and it works reasonably well.  Indeed, I was photographing the helicopter chase at the Houses of Parliament from the latest James Bond movie, Sceptre.  My table top tripod was sitting on the Embankment wall when a council representative told the man next to me that tripods weren't allowed, but told me I was OK.

hope that helps.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an S2 which lives on a tripod shooting landscapes. I also had the same question, at base ISO how much better if any is the 006 over the S2

I would love to have the 007 (James Bond) yet the price is still at of my reach....

Edited by kuau
  • Like 1