Olympus VF-2

Ivar B

I used to use olympus before i was lucky enough to get an m262.

Have a VF-4 which is good,probably better than the original Q EVF.[tried them together in camera shop]

Had a VF-3 which was terrible so god knows how bad the VF-2 is?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 11:27 PM, steve 1959 said:

Have a VF-4 which is good,probably better than the original Q EVF.[tried them together in camera shop]

The VF-2 does everything needed, you can see the edges of the frame, you can focus with it using focus peaking, and if you want to see the world in greater detail take the camera away from your eye. It's not a great viewfinder but as there are no alternatives it's a case of when you get lemons make lemonade.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2020 at 12:27 AM, steve 1959 said:

I have not bought any viewfinder for my M (have yet not missed it too much), but if you do need a EVF, I guess it is better to have a working one (even if not the latest and greatest) as an option than zero options (none at all)?

It is like a car; if you do need one, even if you can not afford a new Mercedes (or other premium brand you prefer), it is probably better to have a second hand working Fiat or Skoda, than none at all?

Edited by martinot

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 minutes ago, martinot said:

I have not bought any viewfinder for my M (have yet not missed it too much), but if you do need a EVF, I guess it is better to have a working one (even if not the latest and greatest) as an option than zero options (none at all)?

It is like a car; if you do need one, even if you can not afford a new Mercedes (or other premium brand you prefer), it is probably better to have a second hand working Fiat or Skoda, than none at all?

To me its a beautiful camera with nasty unclear EVF available,if it was the VF-4 i would be impressed as its decent.

PS i have a m262 so its not really relevant to me but i like to follow other leica stuff.

Take your point though that for some its better than nothing.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 11:27 PM, steve 1959 said:

The VF-3 was terrible indeed. I had VF-2,3 and 4. The 2 is way better than the 3, that was supposed to be the smaller option. 
It worked perfectly on Olympus cameras, the delay between shots and the shutter lag are exclusively the M 240’s fault.

• Thanks 1

The only EF finder for the Leica M or M-P (240). Leica Or Olympus branded is the EF-2. None of the other ones will work. The M10 uses a different one altogether.  The EF-2 is more than adequate for the M whenever one need to have an evf for framing or focusing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2020 at 1:03 AM, steve 1959 said:

To me its a beautiful camera with nasty unclear EVF available,if it was the VF-4 i would be impressed as its decent.

PS i have a m262 so its not really relevant to me but i like to follow other leica stuff.

Take your point though that for some its better than nothing.

This discussion actually led me to consider acquiring an EVF-2, and I am now actually glad that I did.

Still mainly use the OVF/RF to focus, but sometimes I value being able to focus more precisely with the EVF.

Learnt many good advices and tricks here: https://www.overgaard.dk/Leica-M-Type-240-aka-Leica-M10-digital-rangefinder-camera-page-44-Focusing-the-Leica-M-with-Manual-Focus-EVF2-Visoflex-Electronic-Viewfinder.html

Even if the Leica camera is slow and blacks out (that goes the exactly same for the back screen), I think the EVF-2 is nevertheless a very good tool for all M users to have in their camera bag.

38 minutes ago, martinot said:

This discussion actually led me to consider acquiring an EVF-2, and I am now actually glad that I did.

Still mainly use the OVF/RF to focus, but sometimes I value being able to focus more precisely with the EVF.

Learnt many good advices and tricks here: https://www.overgaard.dk/Leica-M-Type-240-aka-Leica-M10-digital-rangefinder-camera-page-44-Focusing-the-Leica-M-with-Manual-Focus-EVF2-Visoflex-Electronic-Viewfinder.html

Even if the Leica camera is slow and blacks out (that goes the exactly same for the back screen), I think the EVF-2 is nevertheless a very good tool for all M users to have in their camera bag.

"Harpomatic" explained that the VF-2 is actually better than the VF-3 which was interesting because i had a VF-3 on my olympus and it was terrible[ VF-4 Very good].

Regarding focus with a rangefinder i find it very precise and accurate.

1 hour ago, steve 1959 said:

"Harpomatic" explained that the VF-2 is actually better than the VF-3 which was interesting because i had a VF-3 on my olympus and it was terrible[ VF-4 Very good].

Regarding focus with a rangefinder i find it very precise and accurate.

In most cases, yes! 

For some cases, LV or EVF can help to really nail it.

Edited by martinot
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, martinot said:

In most cases, yes! 

For some cases, LV or EVF can help to really nail it.

Luckily for me i do not have to fuss about nailing focus in different ways as i have an M262 but good luck to people who enjoy an EVF on their M.

I've just recently gotten an M 240 and the VF-2.  I have used SLR's since the early 80's.  I cannot think of ever owning an RF camera although I did have the loan for a good while of a Leica CL in the mid-70's .  It has taken some time to become comfortable with the split-image RF focusing.  On the M 240 I have an old Pentax 50mm f/1.4 SMC which does not mesh with the Leica RF gear so the VF-2 lifts me from haphazard zone focusing to SLR image focusing.  And that sweet little button for magnified image is very helpful.  

There is a time lag with the VF-2 and the buffer seems quite small but this is not a perfect world.  I have a nice Sony A7M II which focuses very quickly, has no buffer problems and has some good lenses but it does not give me the same image quality and richness as the M 8.2 and the M 240.  At this point the Leicas are preferable for the image quality.  I do like the dreamy color of these two cameras which is still an accurate representation of what was before the camera.  I recently tested the two Leicas against two non-Leicas and the results were instructive.

In summation I am wed to the VF-2 on the M 240 so long as I use the Pentax 1.4.  I have three Leica compatible lenses, too, so I can try them without the VF-2, but I do like being able to see what the camera actually sees.  All in all it is a valuable accessory for me.  I can accept the trade-offs as a reasonable compromise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good thoughts boojum.

The VF-2 opens up the new range of M cameras to using macro lenses for nature, copying, etc without complicated or heavy Leitz accessories.  It makes the camera much more complete as a system camera allowing a wider range of applications. Personally I don't see the grizzles others have made regarding this electronic visoflex. It's ideal on a tripod with its tilting and also has dioptre adjustment.

Also it is great for checking if the range finder is in sync with the lens focusing.  Good for composing super wide lenses and focusing big telephoto lenses as well.

It was a breakthrough for me and main reason for buying my M-P (typ 240) with new Leica VF-2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with David Strachan. Th EVF-2 add to the usefulness of my M-P. I do not like using the back screen for live view shooting and much prefer using the EVF for that. I have a WATE (an no frankenfiner) so the EVF is perfect for framing with that lens, although I still more quickly focus with the rangefinder with that lens. And, there are times when I find the EVF useful for focusing other lenses. The level feature is a most important feature for me. I have the view set to b&w, makes it much easier to see the red focus feature. Yes, there is a delay before the image is captured; an M with an EVF or using live view is not an SL2; the EVF is just an added feature to the M. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I Olympus VF2. I have used it for a short period with Leica R 35-70mm and 80-200mm. I byte the bullet when it is a must to use non-M lenses. But it turned out much better than expected. I don;'t think it is ugly at all. 

But soon after I abandoned R lens and stays with M lens only with M camera because I use SL if I want the lens not covered by M. 

The VF2 now stays with the XV. For XV, VF2 is a must under the bright sun light. The LCD screen is hard to view in such situation. EVF is the only solution. 

Oh, I like black version, even my M240 and XV are both silver. The Olympus mark on the silver version looks too intrusive for me and is hard to hide. On the black version, the Olympus logo can be easily marked out by any black mark pen. 

On 11/2/2020 at 10:57 PM, david strachan said:

Good thoughts boojum.

The VF-2 opens up the new range of M cameras to using macro lenses for nature, copying, etc without complicated or heavy Leitz accessories.  It makes the camera much more complete as a system camera allowing a wider range of applications. Personally I don't see the grizzles others have made regarding this electronic visoflex. It's ideal on a tripod with its tilting and also has dioptre adjustment.

Also it is great for checking if the range finder is in sync with the lens focusing.  Good for composing super wide lenses and focusing big telephoto lenses as well.

It was a breakthrough for me and main reason for buying my M-P (typ 240) with new Leica VF-2.

David

I've been debating whether to get one or not, for some time. You've put forward some compelling arguments.

Ernst

• Like 2