Olympus VF-2

Ivar B

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am sure it has been asked before but I could not locate it, but the Olympus Electronic viewfinder which is identical to the one offered with the Leica logo is the VF-2 model, right?

It costs less than half of the Leica labeled one and it is available in chrome - Nice on a chrome body.

I am sure it has been asked before but I could not locate it, but the Olympus Electronic viewfinder which is identical to the one offered with the Leica logo is the VF-2 model, right?

It costs less than half of the Leica labeled one and it is available in chrome - Nice on a chrome body.

Not identical but the innards are the same.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At half the cost of the Leica version I'd have bought it if was sky-blue with pink polka dots. 

Same here, but lets face it, in this and other similar camera bag threads some people need to get their accessorising just perfect or they couldn't make it out the front door.. A trip to Halfords or a car accessory shop for a can of paint will turn a silver one black or a black one silver, or any other colour if somebody needs to match their socks.

Steve

I've been happy enough with the VF-2 from Olympus. I was not about to pay the Leica price on this one, not when there was zero functional difference. If it was a higher resolution EVF, sure I'd consider it. 

Buy the olympus one and save some money. 

I got myself a black Olympus VF-2 second hand for my black M240; it's like new. Apart from checking it worked OK, it sits in my bag, and there it will stay most of the time! The delay for image refresh is terrible, in my opinion, and I can only see myself using it on the odd occasion, but thought I'd bag one of these whist they're still available. The next major update to the M2xx will surely have better EVF capability, eg the VF-4.

I got myself a black Olympus VF-2 second hand for my black M240; it's like new. Apart from checking it worked OK, it sits in my bag, and there it will stay most of the time! The delay for image refresh is terrible, in my opinion, and I can only see myself using it on the odd occasion, but thought I'd bag one of these whist they're still available. The next major update to the M2xx will surely have better EVF capability, eg the VF-4.

Agreed. Mine only gets out when I want to check lens and RF calibration (not for at least a year) and for occasional still life macro on a tripod (rarely).

• Like 1

It's horribly slow to refresh and most of the time I wouldn't dream of using it. But I changed my attitude to it when I found how it helps me use my 75 Summicron in low light and repeatedly and reliably get perfect focus.

I now mainly use it for rock and other modern-music concerts where the singers and musicians are moving too fast for me to focus otherwise. But I do like to get close-in to the subjects. If I went further back and used longer lenses it would be less of an issue because focussing would be that much easier, but this is an M were talking about, and up-close is one of its great strengths, in my opinion.

. I use my judgement to compensate for the lapses between shots, but the quality of the results make it a very worthwhile accessory.

Now, if we get a new up-to-the-minute detachable EVF with the new M that I can use in those minority of cases where an EVF is a genuine benefit, I'll be in clover. In the meantime the VF2 is a handy little thing to have.

Edited by Peter H
  • Like 2

Quite simply, if the option to use an EVF hadn't existed I wouldn't have bought into the M system.

Really useful for critical framing particularly when using wides for interiors, a god send for small product and a great focus aid for longer lenses.

There again, if the option to use a rangefinder hadn't existed I wouldn't have bought into the M system.

• 4 years later...
28 minutes ago, Henry Taylor said:

After reading the report on both the Leica and Olympus

I just place my order for the Chrome Olympus  since  I understand  they are both   made by Olympus  and the Leica comes only in black. (my MP 240. is chrome)

Both made by Epson.

Jeff