Cleaning up an old eveready case

carl170

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have bought an old black leather eveready case for my Leica iiif.

It is a little beat up and it looks like it could do with a good clean and spruce up. Any idea what I should use to clean and restore it back to the original black condition? Would black shoe polish be ok for finishing, or am I really barking up the wrong tree here?!

Also, if there is a better place on the forum for this question, please direct me to it!

Regards

Carl

It is definitely branded Leica (and black!). It is a bit rough though, so it will need a bit of attention.

If it is indeed black and Leica branded (Leica name pressed into the case), it must have been re-dyed by the previous owner. As James said, there never was a black Leica eveready case made for thread mount cameras.

The first black leather cases appeared with the M4 - those cases had an entirely different shape.

Cheers,

Jan

• Like 1

I just had another look at ty case and it has a wetzlar made in Germany stamp on the bottom, so is am guessing the case is real. Maybe it was brown to start with. I will load pics of anyone is interested?

I was wondering if it may be more use as a half case? I have always found that type of case to be Never Ready!

Regards

Carl

Carl,

Yes, 'neveready' is the correct description of the case... I confess that none of the Leicas that I used over the many years have never resided in a case. You say that it may be of more use as a half case - is the case front removable? Cases for Leica Thread Mount cameras were always sewn together and the front and back section could not be separated. If your case can be separated into two halves, it was either modified or it is a case for a late IIIg or M model.

It would be interesting to see a photo of your case.

Best,

Jan

Never say never, particularly when it comes to Leica items.  If your case is for a LTM camera and is black it was probably made for a camera issued to the German military during WWII. This makes it very valuable in comparison to the standard ever ready case and you should not consider separating the two parts.  I also have an original 1930s ERC case with press studs that allows the removal of the front section.  This item is also original and rare.