50 Lux Black Chrome Edition

peterjcb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You see, other people are also profoundly unhappy about being one of the 500 on the planet with this PROBLEM, because they enjoy being stylish, but they WANT TO PHOTOGRAPH with this lens - using filters!

So the little treasure boxes tend to change owners, while the prices go a tiny bit south every time.

When there might be another BLACK PAINT or SILVER CHROME limited version of this optical and mechanical masterpiece, the simplest task of having the front ring of the lens in accordance with modern filter thread pitch might be implemented.

Until then Leica Monochrome users, bw film shooters and ND-filter users: sigh about money spent on a perfect lens - with a minor but essential lapsus.

I'm not profoundly unhappy with mine. I never use filters, and that's probably why. (What sort of crappy photographer is he?!!?, I hear you ask.......)

And I doubt that prices will go south on the lens, but who cares? It's a lovely thing to use.

• Like 1

Decidedly, there are other Leica shooters who opt out of using filters altogether, so you are not alone. The upside is that you can use the aesthetically perfect lens hood, classic and genuinely functional. The downside is that the front lens element is unprotected from the elements and accidents. It’s certainly a matter of personal preference, but at issue with the Lux 50 black chrome, Leica has taken away personal preference; if you choose to use a filter, you cannot use the hood; or, if you use the hood, you cannot use a filter. To take advantage of the DOF capabilities of this fast lens sometimes requires neutral density filters.  This is particularly true in shooting video with an M246 in normal daylight at 1/50 sec and ISO 320. There’s also the option of using b/w color correction filters or a polarizer that should be available.

However, we have been forced to buy a screw-in lens hood from a third party at added expense if we want to use a filter and control lens flare with a hood. These screw-in hoods, such as Overgaard’s, are not as deep as the Leica hood, by the way. Reminiscent of the #12586 hood, the Leica black-chromed brass hood of the Lux 50 is a work of art. As a backup, I bought an extra one from Leica Store Miami, which I was surprised had them in stock, as well as an extra hood for my black chrome Summicron-M 35mm.

In the meantime, you can make your own $20 Heliopan adapter ring per the instructions I have posted (#162 Hood fitting problem 50mm SX black chrome 11688), OR you can wait until Leica takes LCT’s suggestion from two years ago: “Another solution would be for Leica to sell new 13206-like filters with 0.75 thread pitch instead of the 0.5 pitch available in the past.”

Unaware of LCT’s suggestion, I made much the same to Leica, NJ (7/11/16): “In January, you said that you would forward my concerns to Germany, but in the interim a solution occurs to me that Leica might consider: produce an updated E43 UVa filter based on the mount of the E43 UVa/IR #13417, only having 0.75mm pitch threads instead of the finer .5mm threads of the #13417.  What’s important in solving the lens hood problem is that the 3mm ridge of the #13417 fits perfectly between the prongs of the Summilux-M lens hood catches in shooting position as well as reversed for traveling. Also, this updated E43 UVa filter can be stacked on top of another filter (ND, color filter, etc.) and the lens hood can be attached for shooting or reversed for traveling. Two filters stacked using this updated #13417 as the outermost filter moves the hood forward about 9mm, but I don’t see any vignetting from the hood.”

BTW I totally agree with you about prices.  Shooters want what works best.

Edited by Ernest

• 10 months later...

A shade that screws on the filter puts a lot of strain on the whole front part of the lens [...]

Kinda anal. Well, you could always add a focus lever assist that also keeps the shade from touching down.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by pico

Hello everyone. I could compare the standard Lux with the black chrome edition. Both very fine lenses and the black chrome has a unique design and appeal for sure. However I noticed on the black chrome the aperture ring is kind of noisy and extremely easy to move. Is this a standard specification of the limited edition?

Hello everyone. I could compare the standard Lux with the black chrome edition. Both very fine lenses and the black chrome has a unique design and appeal for sure. However I noticed on the black chrome the aperture ring is kind of noisy and extremely easy to move. Is this a standard specification of the limited edition?

Unfortunately, loose aperture rings seem to be the new Wetzlar standard these days, not just this lens... The good news is that they will tighten it for you if you ask. A few minutes' job, but you'll have to send the lens back. I had it done for both my black chrome Summilux and my APO-Summicron.

I can only tell you that the aperture ring on my black chrome 50/1.4 Summilux-M asph seems perfectly damped (not too heavy and not too light), makes no noise that I can hear, and the detentes are easily felt.

Pete.

I have a silly question about this lens.  Since it's limited to 500 units and 2015 production model, there isn't possible to find a new one today right?  

I saw a new one in the US, but I forgot it it was PopFlash.com, Leica SF, Leica Miami, DC or which one. But it was on their website and in stock. Still a few around that are sold as new. 

im curious as well...about whether there are only 500 around?  I read on a blog or generic site that Leica decided to go ahead with a 2nd production run of additional 500.  I cant say for certain, and im too lazy to send off an email to Leica to confirm.  

I know you use yours extensively, do you have any brassing on the lens yet?  Would love to see how this looks..should I get one, she will not be a shelf queen. :D

I saw a new one in the US, but I forgot it it was PopFlash.com, Leica SF, Leica Miami, DC or which one. But it was on their website and in stock. Still a few around that are sold as new. 

My BC aperture ring was and remains perfect AFAIC. Seem the luck of the draw these days. 

Congrats, it's a stunning lens.  My only complaint is that Leica are really dragging their feet over a filter solution :(

Here's mine along with its 'sister' ... the 35mm Black Chrome.

Kind regards,  Simon

I love mine too Simon. It has great style and feel, The filter solution is a bit of a drag. However, I purchased Thorsten Von Overgaard's lens hood option for this lens. It is threaded and allows you to attach the  filter directly on the lens hood itself. It is well thought out and well constructed. Easy to screw the filter off and on and no need to remove the lens hood to do so. Just a thought.--linford

My connection is telling me that supplies has been slower than ever since late last year.  I guess the secret 2nd production is almost complete.

BH has jacked ($200) up the price this week but still taking order.  Does it mean 3rd round is coming and making it total 1,500 units?

im curious as well...about whether there are only 500 around?  I read on a blog or generic site that Leica decided to go ahead with a 2nd production run of additional 500.  I cant say for certain, and im too lazy to send off an email to Leica to confirm.