New 1.2 firmware on Leica website but access forbidden

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Got it now. Put a Nocti on an all goes large with the joystick. I haven't checked flash yet but not expecting this to be sorted. I think this will need an FW update on the SF58 as well. Apparently there was an FW update around for the 58 but it got pulled almost immediately and never reappeared. 

Wilson

I think Leica is still struggling to put everything on the website correctly.

It's also still FW v. 2.1 ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Give them some time...

Andreas

_ Improved handling for MF lenses: AE/AF Lock button now zooms into 100% instead of AE Lock function to << Not English, but does AE/AF Lock button = joystick?

_ Improved of overall image quality for ISO 50 - ISO 400    <<< Does this mean less banding?

Yes, AF/AF Lock = joystick

| did not see banding at those ISOs before, so | don't know what these improvements mean.

Yes, AF/AF Lock = joystick

| did not see banding at those ISOs before, so | don't know what these improvements mean.

From DpReview:

"Leica hasn't been explicitly clear about where the 24 megapixel sensor in the SL comes from - only that it's a modified version of the sensor used by the Q. This means it's likely the same CMOSIS sensor in the Leica Q that we demonstrated to exhibit banding in pushed shadows. This ultimately limits the dynamic range of that camera, and we'll take a look at if the same holds true for the Leica SL*.

In the interests of fairness, we should note here that Leica has informed us that a future firmware update may make a difference in this regard. As such, we'll revisit these tests when the time comes."

From DpReview:

"Leica hasn't been explicitly clear about where the 24 megapixel sensor in the SL comes from - only that it's a modified version of the sensor used by the Q. This means it's likely the same CMOSIS sensor in the Leica Q that we demonstrated to exhibit banding in pushed shadows. This ultimately limits the dynamic range of that camera, and we'll take a look at if the same holds true for the Leica SL*.

In the interests of fairness, we should note here that Leica has informed us that a future firmware update may make a difference in this regard. As such, we'll revisit these tests when the time comes."

Given a choice between what | can see with my own eyes and what Dpreview has reported, I think I'll go with what | can see!

The image seems appropriate.  

I just finished checking the lens profiles for several R lenses.  The APO-SC-R 90, the APO-Elmarit-R 100, and the Super-Elmarit-R 15 all look way off.  But I'll wait to see if the new firmware addresses these lenses.  I saw no big problems with the Vario-Elmar-R 35-70/4.0 or the Macro-Elmarit-R 60, and Godfrey reports that the pre-APO 90 is fine.  Those are lenses which Jono shot with all summer on his prototype SL, so I expect those have been at least initially attended to.  But unless release 1.2 fixes the profiles for the first three that I list, I recommend that you turn lens ID off when using them.

scott 

what is the problem with the 100mm? Ive been using it quite a bit and don't see any issues.

From DpReview:

Yes indeed

But as I understand it the sensor from the Q wasn't CMOSIS (that's the sensor from the M246) . . . . . . .  

• Like 1

No change in flash behaviour but not surprised. Pity as I could have done with flash working properly this afternoon but there are work arounds, such as using shutter priority but you will always have the SL lens full open or turn on Auto ISO in Aperture priority and live with a fixed 50 ISO. 

..... before I do something irreversible ...... does updating the firmware reset image file folder names back to L100 and zero the file numbering ? 

If so I will not be updating as there is no way of re-seeding the file numbers and folder name to where you were before ..... this has happened before with FW updates .....

...... also does formatting the card in the camera still increment the folder number ...... I dare not test this as it will completely cock-up my filing system if it is not fixed....  :unsure:

Edited by thighslapper

..... before I do something irreversible ...... does updating the firmware reset image file folder names back to L100 and zero the file numbering ? 

If so I will not be updating as there is no way of re-seeding the file numbers and folder name to where you were before ..... this has happened before with FW updates .....

...... also does formatting the card in the camera still increment the folder number ...... I dare not test this as it will completely cock-up my filing system if it is not fixed....  :unsure:

It did not reset the file numbering for my camera. It seems to have left most settings untouched as well.

• Like 1

This is not an issue for me as I download my images after each shoot and rename them. I never used any folder structure other than the single folder on offer.

My first image since updating is numbered L1000538, if that helps - so it hasn't been reset to zero.

• Like 1

New firmware loaded smoothly and the joystick magnification is the making of an excellent camera into a great camera to my mind.  I can now mag and de-mag without taking my hand off the focus ring so ergonomically that's a pure winner and my 80 Lux and other lenses will appreciate it.  The speed of magnification is virtually immediate, ie no discernible lag, which is a massive bonus too.  I hardly ever half-mag so for my purposes I won't miss it and if I did I could still use the BR button.

Pete.

• Like 1

Fw 1.2 loaded without problems. None of my settings were lost. 

Looking at the content summary: 

1  Improved handling for MF lenses: AE/AF Lock button now zooms into 100% instead of AE Lock function to
2  Improved of overall image quality for ISO 50 - ISO 400
3  Improved L-Log curve for use for internal 8bit video recordings
4  Improved overall image quality of the view nder
5  Bug x: correct EXIF Data for use of R-lenses
6  Bug x: length of Wi-Fi passwords extended 

What I see so far: 

1 - Magnification assist on the AE/AF Lock button (joystick) works for M and R lenses, otherwise AE/AF Lock button configuration is as before for the SL 24-90. This makes perfect sense AFAIC. AE-Lock with manual lenses is via the shutter release half-press only, which makes sense to me since the button press wasn't a toggle anyway. 

2,3,4 - Time will tell whether these makes a difference to me. I've not had any problems with ISO 50-400 quality, I haven't used the L-Log curve (or video) at all so far, and I'm not sure I see much difference in the viewfinder. 

5 - The EXIF data for my R lenses has all been correct, and the lens code processing has worked just fine. That includes 

11225 Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8 v1 3cam
11221 Elmarit-R 24mm f/2.8 3cam
11115 Summicron-R 35mm f/2 v2 3cam
11675 - 11776 - 11777 - 11875 Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4 3cam 
11228 Summicron-R 50mm f/2 1cam
11212 Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8 3cam
11219 - 11254 Summicron-R 90mm f/2 3cam
11111 Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8 3cam
11919 Elmarit-R 180mm f/2.8 v1 2cam
11922 Elmar-R 180mm f/4 3cam
11920 Telyt-R 250mm f/4 3cam

to date. It will take me some time to check and see that FW1.2 didn't change anything there. 

6 - I'll have to check whether WiFi via my home network works correctly yet. Perhaps this evening. Last time I tried to use it, I was not able to find the SL on the network even though it seemed to be connected. Using the SL as a hotspot has worked without any problems. 

Presumably there are some other fixes, etc, that whomever authorized the release notes didn't deem to be significant enough to remark about. I'll see how the camera works now going forward, but overall this seems fine to me.  :)
  • Like 1

Question about the focus magnification with firmware 1.2 with manual lenses (R and M), does it work like this -

1 - Use the joy stick to move / position the focus magnification box

2 - Press the joy stick to toggle max magnification

3 - Use joy stick to move around the magnified view (if needed)

4 - Half press shutter release to return normal view

Also, if going in and out of the magnified view repetitively, does the SL remember where the selection box was last positioned?

Thank you.