Possible problem with shutter speed

hydet

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am either overlooking something simple, or seem to have an issue with my new Leica SL.  I cannot seem to achieve a slower shutter speed than 1/30.  This is so in both Aperture or Manual, and whether I have an M lens or or the 24-90.  I shoot on a tripod at night much of the time, so this isn't going to work.   I made number of photos with multiple-second exposures in the past 3 weeks, but now it's stuck on 1/30 or faster.    Please tell me I screwed up some setting....?

Thank you..

Tim

Thanks, Digitalfx, but that's where I stay 90% of the time.  I can set my shutter speed with the dial, as you suggest, EXCEPT slower than 1/30.   That's the problem.  Full control but I can't achieve slower than 1/30 setting in either M or A.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks,  I may have been in video mode.   I'll play with it more to make sure this is the problem. Quite embarrassing.  I've had the camera about five weeks and made well over 10,000 exposures.  I've used it as my working camera every day in that time, and thought I knew it pretty well.   A large number of those exposures were at night (I'm in working on a February exhibition of pre-dawn Washington DC), mostly Manual at shutter speeds of 3-12 seconds I think...on a tripod.  Only yesterday did this problem pop up.  The problem was very troubling as I sold off all my Nikons and Zeiss glass.  (It's a warning NOT to sell the Hasselblad H system, which I've been tempted to do.)  

Thank you, Gentlemen.  

tim

The way I tell the difference is that if I see two parallel bars at the top right of the screen (audio levels) I know the camera is in video mode.

To help stay out of video mode, I use Mode Lock (p. 205 of the printed manual).

dgktkr

Edited by dgktkr