New SL and 24-90 Lens - AF is not working at all

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At least I can try to use and explore the SL with the lens now. This might be a problem than fixed with the firmware. Which would on the other hand seem a little strange to me. There are obviously not that many lenses or cameras affected.

Will see how this develops the next days, my trust is not 100% restored yet, but at least it's up and running and there is at least a little smile on my face now ;-) 

This was a short period of joy. After 30 minutes or so same thing like before. I will stop and return the lens and see if a replacement works. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

This was a short period of joy. After 30 minutes or so same thing like before. I will stop and return the lens and see if a replacement works. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

I would be frustrated as well. Once you get to this level of pricing for a camera+lens, you should be able to expect that everything has been tested by a human and will work out of the box. Hopefully you will get a replacement lens in short order. I think you will be pleased with the camera once everything works properly.

Truthfully, it sounds like an intermittent electrical problem to me. One last thing you might try before you send it off is to make sure that the all of the electrical contacts on the lens and in the body are clean and unobstructed (obviously, proceed at your own risk).

A pencil eraser would work fine for the ones on the lens, followed by a cloth moistened with lens cleaner. You will need to be careful with the contacts inside the body to ensure that you don't contaminate the sensor - you could try a q-tip or sensor swab moistened with lens or sensor cleaner (Eclipse). Pull the battery from the camera before you try to clean the contacts on the body. Good luck.

Truthfully, it sounds like an intermittent electrical problem to me. One last thing you might try before you send it off is to make sure that the all of the electrical contacts on the lens and in the body are clean and unobstructed (obviously, proceed at your own risk).

Yes, some thing with the contacts and/or switch or even the camera's power supply is probably the issue. The contacts are clean, the items are just unpacked and have not left my desk since then. When the next lens is here I post an update.

Probably not a good idea to go rummaging around in the body with q-tips if you want to get an exchange under warranty.

Just saying......

Yes, I agree. That is something maybe to consider if this was a heavily used item for a year or two but not if we are talking about total usage (well - not really usage, but trying to use it) time of one or two hours.

Hi Rob. I'm sorry to hear that you're having this frustrating and annoying problem. From my long experience with other Leica systems it's most likely caused by the electrical contacts between body and lens not being clean, from deposits, oil, oxidation, dust, etc. Cleaning these is routine for me and definitely worth a try before proceeding down the inconvenient path of returning your lens and/or body. Remove the battery, put a drop of contact cleaner or sensor cleaner on a cotton tip and gently rub over the contacts, ensuring no liquid or material can fall into the body or lens. Avoid soaking and ensure all cleaning fluid has evaporated before reassembly or switch on. I never use a blower for cleaning dust from cameras/lenses; rather I use gentle suction from a vacuum cleaner nozzle, bracing with fingers to ensure the two can't be sucked together. Some dust particles need to be nudged with a hair from a soft brush to loosen them. Be confident, skillful and careful and try fixing it yourself, as it's likely to happen again down the track, after extended storage, with travel or use in adverse conditions.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Be confident, skillful and careful and try fixing it yourself, as it's likely to happen again down the track, after extended storage, with travel or use in adverse conditions.

Rick, thank you for the suggestion, if it's a used item and it is part of a regular maintenance procedure I would do it but this is a brand new item, just unpacked, so there is nothing to clean I think. A new lens has arrived at my home today, I will check it on Saturday when I'm back. Should be interesting as I hope that the lens was the issue and not the camera.

The contacts of the SL system I would not expect to be that delicate but maybe I'm wrong. It would be interesting to learn about the experience of other users regarding possible contact problems. You wrote that this is a common issue on other Leica equipment (S, R ?). I am a M user since 2010 and there were no issues so far (despite the M9 sensor problem, but I got the M upgrade for that). Well, sensor dust is always an issue with the M and I'm experienced in cleaning M sensors and would not be afraid to clean contacts if that had to be the case.

Got a new lens. Same issue. So it's the camera. I'm returning the whole stuff today. Done with the SL. Good luck all.

:wacko:

bit of a defeatist attitude ...... I would have returned both and asked the dealer to sort out which was the culprit and return a working combination.

very few complaints about the SL so far to date ....... and reliability seems very good ..... if you are that easily put off then  perhaps you didn't really want it ........

bit of a defeatist attitude ...... ..... if you are that easily put off then  perhaps you didn't really want it ........

If I wouldn't really want it I wouldn't have been the first taking it up from my dealer. No defeatist attitude at all, I'm just pissed off. But sometimes it seems better to wait for the 2nd release of products. This is what I'm going to do now. There will be another SL type, maybe next year, or a really new M in 2016 for photokina. Who knows.

To me Leica has some serious problems with some new products, especially the ones with the T-Mount, pushing them to the market when they are not ready or not thought out 100% It's a pity as these products would be a step in the right direction and make Leica unique. But why such a hurry? This is not the right attitude for a company like Leica I think. They should take their time and keep an eye on the quality and better testing. 

bit of a defeatist attitude ...... I would have returned both and asked the dealer to sort out which was the culprit and return a working combination.

very few complaints about the SL so far to date ....... and reliability seems very good ..... if you are that easily put off then  perhaps you didn't really want it ........

So you honestly believe that Rob simply forked out €11, 500- because he really didn't want the camera?

I really can't take your comments seriously.

Too many Leica apologists here, it's rather irritating. One of the reasons I find myself spending less and less time here.

Why can't people just be objective?

Edited by michali

It is a complex product. Any failure in the manufacturing process will likely show up at the very beginning. I would consider this as normal. That is why there is a two year guarantee period to keep you free of headaches. It is no indication that the product itself is a failure. The same might happen for a 2nd release item. 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

If I wouldn't really want it I wouldn't have been the first taking it up from my dealer. No defeatist attitude at all, I'm just pissed off. But sometimes it seems better to wait for the 2nd release of products. This is what I'm going to do now. There will be another SL type, maybe next year, or a really new M in 2016 for photokina. Who knows.

To me Leica has some serious problems with some new products, especially the ones with the T-Mount, pushing them to the market when they are not ready or not thought out 100% It's a pity as these products would be a step in the right direction and make Leica unique. But why such a hurry? This is not the right attitude for a company like Leica I think. They should take their time and keep an eye on the quality and better testing. 

Well since you are the only one reporting this issue there is no reason to be pissed. It only seems logical to have brought the camera in and tested a new lens and body first to determine which piece had the issue prior to just returning the lens.

Your issue has absolutely nothing to do with first generation vs second generation, so not sure why you think waiting on the next generation will solve the issue. Personally I am 100% satisfied with the SL exactly the way it is, so what do you mean they are pushing these out when not ready. The SL is ready right now.

• Like 1

I must say I'm also startled by Rob's response. I've heard of no more and no fewer QC faults in this camera than any other Leica product (IR filters, strap lugs and veiling flare come to mind). It may not be acceptable (depends on your view) but it's hardly unpredictable. Rob just happened to draw the short straw this time, but it was bound to happen to someone. So why change your mind when it just happens to be your body/lens combo?

Each to their own.

Edited by LocalHero1953

So you honestly believe that Rob simply forked out €11, 500- because he really didn't want the camera?

I really can't take your comments seriously.

Too many Leica apologists here, it's rather irritating. One of the reasons I find myself spending less and less time here.

Why can't people just be objective?

I think we are objective... we have one camera that has an issue, one. Quite frankly why the assumption was made that it was automatically the lens without any testing whatsoever is nonsense. Why weren't both returned at once...or better yet, put a new lens on the camera in the store and see if that solves the problem.

Trouble shooting 101...someone didn't use common sense here.

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 1

It's not the fault that's the issue - faults are a fact of life. It's how Leica responds that makes the difference. When this sort of thing has happened to me in the past, I tend to remember the service I get rather than the fault - VW replacing my engine in two days, Ducati giving me a loaner bike when mine was being worked on, and the Leica dealer giving me a loaner camera and lens immediately. 

...... and one of our number has had about a dozen M240's in pursuit of the holy grail of one that doesn't occasionally lock-up .......

if there is one thing you cannot fault Leica for it's their no quibble replacement or repair policy ..... and often well beyond their contractual obligations to do so..... even with the most finicky and difficult customers. 

I think you will find hardly anyone here is a Leica apologist ...... most of us have been very critical when and where issues have occurred .... and there have been plenty .....

I'd have waited a few more days for a complete replacement of both items rather than throwing my dolly out of the pram in frustration........ I may be grumpy, but I am reasonably realistic and patient ..... 

omg, now I have upset a lot of forum readers here. Sorry folks. I spent some significant amount of money to get a highly advertised camera I really wanted, that felt really right in the hand in terms of size and weight and with a beautiful EVF especially for my main lens, the Noctilux. But it simply refused to work. My dealer's suggestion after describing the error was to change the lens. My dealer is not located at my home town and I'm travelling a lot. So I'm not in the mood to do a trial and error game pairing lenses and bodies. What if that happens later in the field? So this is the point where confidence comes in. And for this moment the Leica SL is out. Maybe too much electronics. I don't care, I can easily wait. Happy with the Ms and Q so far. Don't like the responses from some here in that thread getting much too personal, trying to let me look like an idiot. Regarding the cards: I was using 32 and 64 SanDisk and Panasonic. They are not the reason I think. Greeting from a delayed ICE train from Hanover to Cologne.

When buying a Leica lens or body, you have to remember you are dealing with a relatively small company (compared with Sony, Canon and Nikon), making a very complex, advanced and precision-assembly-demanding product. Sadly Leica's final product checking/QC historically, has been notoriously poor and I am slightly surprised that the Rob's SL/24-90 Combo seems to be the first one with a fault. Very bad luck and extremely frustrating for Rob but on average, Leica seems to be doing much better than in the past with the SL.

I was very angry last year when my new Noctilux was miles out of focus and unusable, so had to go straight back to the factory for rebuilding, as no new replacement Noctiluxes remained in stock. However it was done very quickly and came back perfect, so I forgave them until my next new lens, actually an ex-display but unused 35 Summicron, was also wrong and had to go back for adjustment. All part of the pain/pleasure equation of living with Leicas. 

Wilson