Q colours look like Ektar?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't have a Q myself, but looked several photos from the image thread and online. It looks a lot different than X and T cameras, it is probably by design to have distinct look for each camera.

I think it looks very similar to Ektar film output. I wonder if the sensor contributes to that, or the tonal curve designers wanted to look like ektar film, any thoughts? Or is it a lot different in DNG or full size?

The colour characteristic of a sensor is determined by the choice of its Bayer filter and the transmission of the rest of the filter array, however the colour one can attain from raw is mainly the photographer's choice in postprocessing.

The colour rendering of the out of camera JPG is the choice of the firmware maker, so yes, Leica may well have made the OOC jpegs distinctive.

Thank you Jaap, read about Bayer filters very interesting stuff.

Do you know if the filters are chosen by sensor manufacturer, or by camera manufacturer (as in are they on the sensor, or a chip, or firmware)? I am imagining when it comes out of the sensor, it is already digital signal, and then after it is all  image processing?