Meeting with Leica UK 9 Dec

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On awaited hardware, not such good news. For the UK the remote will be late first quarter, the 90-280 probably second quarter, the 50/1.4 late third quarter to fourth quarter and R to T at least the end of next year

Of course, Leica will drag their feet as long as they can with regard to releasing the R-T adapter.  They need a head start making lenses like the 90-280 or else too many SL owners will buy current used excellent R lens stock.  And that would decrease sales of new SL lenses, yet to be released.  Expect a long, frustrating wait for the R-T adapter.

When the M came out, it was well over a year before the R-M adapter was released.  In the meantime, Leica sold a lot more lenses to new M owners because, the R lenses were useless if you wanted to use a Leica adapter.  Consequently, R lens sales languished after a significant bubble in R prices pre-release of the M.

Look for the same strategy with the SL.  Leica considers their own R lenses as a competitor to the sales of their current lenses and just a talking point used to lure current R lens owners to buy new Leica cameras.  We saw this when Leica released the M240.  Leica trotted out the classic 35-70/2.8 mounted on the new M240 during the release of the new M240.  Leica advertised that the M could use legacy R lenses, utilizing LV... but never released the R-T Adapter for well over a year.

RickConspiracyTheory  :rolleyes:

Edited by Rick
  • Like 2

RickConspiracyTheory  :rolleyes:

I disagree Rick...

New SL 90-280 vs any of the R lenses (80-200, 70-180, 105-280, etc) = no brainer

Given the choice I think most will choose the 90-280. Its a modern lens, has AF and was designed for the SL.

R lenses will do more to help SL body sales than any loss of new lens sales to an R lens. Hopefully Leica gets this and gets us the damn adapter.

Same goes for the new SL 50mm Summilux. Who will chose an R 50mm Summilux over the new modern SL version just because the adapter exists? I already own three 50's (Summilux M, Noctilux and Summilux-R)...and this won't stop me from being first in line to get the new SL Summilux.

The advantage to offering a proper R adapter is that it enhances the value of the SL...come on Leica, you get this right?

• Like 1

Are you saying nobody cares about lenses like the 280/4 for the SL... that they can shoot on the SL right now if, they only had the adapter.  (Sure, they can stack adapters).

So, should Leica put the R-T adapter at the bottom of the priority list.  I guess everyone can wait a year to get  a couple promised "modern" SL lenses.  I'm pretty sure Leica's new SL lenses will be great, but until they come out, what should SL owners do?  Shoot short M lenses?  

Rick

Are you saying nobody cares about lenses like the 280/4 for the SL... that they can shoot on the SL right now if, they only had the adapter.  (Sure, they can stack adapters).

So, should Leica put the R-T adapter at the bottom of the priority list.  I guess everyone can wait a year to get  a couple promised "modern" SL lenses.  I'm pretty sure Leica's new SL lenses will be great, but until they come out, what should SL owners do?  Shoot short M lenses?  

Rick

Yes.

Of course, Leica will drag their feet as long as they can with regard to releasing the R-T adapter.  They need a head start making lenses like the 90-280 or else too many SL owners will buy current used excellent R lens stock.  And that would decrease sales of new SL lenses, yet to be released.  Expect a long, frustrating wait for the R-T adapter.

Honestly Rick

there are limited resources, and this stuff takes time . . . . . . and in the meantime (with the possible exception of some long telephotos) the stacked adapters work really well. 

Rick

. . . . . . All the SL owners I know are using R lenses already for those longer focal lengths (I know I am). . . and there are the M lenses for the rest

Edited by jonoslack

Rick

My name is LocalHero1953 and I'm stacked and happy.

(80-200R)

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Rick

Im not. Im using all my R lenses now. (100mm Macro, 70-180 f2.8, 35-70) They look great on the SL. What I am saying is that Leica shouldn't worry about R lenses causing a loss of revenue and not produce a better SL to R adapter. It will only help increase SL body sales. Additionally IMO, given the choice between a new SL AF lens and an R lens of similar focal length...Leica will not lose lens sales in substantial numbers to justify not giving us a proper adapter.