Open Air Museum Advent "At the Pond"

Iduna

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On the second weekend in december this big open air museum is open on the occasion of advent. The main paths are being nicely illuminated with torches. The illumination of houses, trees and windmills is marvellous. I always try to reach their in time for the blue hour and then when dusk is there the sky provides a velvet veil. We were lucky it did not rain. I hoped for a clear night with the intention of capturing startrails. But this would have been too demanding. So we enjoyed a couple of hours with only very few stars....

This was the first serious shooting with the "Q"

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Leica Q

just one exposure, no blending, the sensor takes it all. But still, there is a lot to learn about this sensor-lens interplay.

• Like 1

• Like 2

Dee,

thank you for your kind words.

Exposure seems to be not so difficult with this camera. What I noticed is a Kind of noise in forms of stripes when the file is compressed to forum size. There is no noise in the original files, so I have to find out about the reason for this.

The light was all mixed and normally this type of lighting is a horror. But WB of the "Q" is excellent and almost no need for adjustment in processing. Even the extrem bright limelight was no Problem. When I visited that place last year with my Canon 5D MKII I had a problem and needed the classic bracketing technique..

• Like 1

Excellent series.

I am captivated most by the first one which has a subtle quality.

You have pleasing starbursts on the light sources, suggesting a small aperture.

The play of blue light rays on the water provide interest in what would otherwise be stark and empty blackness.

It was a good compositional decision to include the dry grasses in the extreme lower left. That helps establish the sense of depth in your picture.

Neil,

many thanks for your time and writing a helpful detailed comment!

I agree, the first one was the most challenging, because of the lightsources and the contrasts. In summer such type of picture is a problem because of disturbing foliage.

The cost of doing everything in one exposure is a little "banding" which can be seen in the depths. I used 100 ISO and a very small aperture. The banding appears when the dark parts are being pushed in PP. So next time I'll use ISO 400 or 800 and will expose a bit "to the left". I noticed that it is easier to get some highlights restored. This corresponds with my information that the camera's default is set to preserve highlights. This means the workflow is different from the other cameras. I have a series of nightshots of streetphotography where I did set on Auto ISO. No banding was there. So here is a field of experimentation and I am sure one will find out soon what works best in certain situations.

I like the contrast between the warm orange of the houses and the blue in the water. Love all the three photos but the one I prefer is the last one with the branches in the foreground. For sure you are quick learning how to use your Q.

robert

PS: as an X1 user I'm curious to know if you find the Q much larger or heavier compared to your x1 from a practical point of view, carrying, having in a bag...

Robert,

thank you very much for your detailed comment. I am happy if you like the two temperatures. That was exactly what I wanted to bring out. Thanks for your encouragement here.

I also still use my X1, which ist still giving excellent result. The Q certainly is heavier, but it does not feel so. I do not carry it on a strap round my neck but have fixed it on a SunSniper which is fixed in the tripod thread. This is very practical, because it is safe and immediaely at hand and being carried over you shoulder. Te strap has a steel inlay and cannot be snipped off. Along with it comes a 1 year warranty covering 1.000 € insurance.