Problems with Leica R Lens Corrections

J S H

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In testing several of my R lenses on the SL, I have discovered a few bugs. Some are harmless and some a little more troubling. First of all, I don't think that the coding system works properly with zoom lenses in regards to exif data. I tested both the 35-70 F4 and the 70-180 F2.8. While the lens corrections seemed to be working, the focal length is recorded as zero or missing...but at least the correct lens is noted in the exif data. Not a real issue, but as some have noted, there are auto ISO focal length specific settings that could make use of the focal length info. 

The other problem is that some of the profile corrections are faulty. Most are OK, and some are very good (for instance the 500mm mirror lens), but one in particular that is WAY off is the APO 280mm F4. The vignetting corrections make the raw images unusable (at least in LR, where there is no opportunity to disable these corrections).

Here are 2 examples from the APO 280 F4, both at F5.6. The first is with the coding set to the 70-180 Zoom, and the second is with the 280 F4 lens chosen in the coding menu. This lens has never had a real problem with vignetting, so why Leica decided that this extreme vignetting correction was necessary is beyond me. Obviously, we need a firmware update with more accurate profiles, but the best solution would be to give the user the ability to disable the lens corrections and just retain the exif data.

Images below for reference:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

>>>>>

I tested both the 35-70 F4 and the 70-180 F2.8. While the lens corrections seemed to be working, the focal length is recorded as zero or missing...

The other problem is that some of the profile corrections are faulty. Most are OK, and some are very good (for instance the 500mm mirror lens), but one in particular that is WAY off is the APO 280mm F4. The vignetting corrections make the raw images unusable (at least in LR, where there is no opportunity to disable these corrections).

The firmware tables seem to be the last things that Leica gets right.  Let's keep reporting any errors here.  You can check the vignetting and color (corrections) if needed by shooting a white wall at a modest distance, with daylight illumination, while having the lens set to focus at infinity.  You are not the first to report 0 as a focal length, which will obviously upset the auto-ISO algorithm.

scott 

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

How would the current R solution accurately give us focal length from a Zoom?

I have the 35-70 f4 and using the Leica T-M Adapter + Leica's R Adapter (which is coded) I have to manually select the correct R lens.

Its a dumb adapter, so how could it possible tell the camera which focal length we are using on a zoom?

BTW- in LR you can manually select the correct Lens data in Lens Corrections/Profile section. The 280mm f4 is listed.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by digitalfx

In testing several of my R lenses on the SL, I have discovered a few bugs. Some are harmless and some a little more troubling. First of all, I don't think that the coding system works properly with zoom lenses in regards to exif data. I tested both the 35-70 F4 and the 70-180 F2.8. While the lens corrections seemed to be working, the focal length is recorded as zero or missing...but at least the correct lens is noted in the exif data. Not a real issue, but as some have noted, there are auto ISO focal length specific settings that could make use of the focal length info. 

Here are 2 examples from the APO 280 F4, both at F5.6. The first is with the coding set to the 70-180 Zoom, and the second is with the 280 F4 lens chosen in the coding menu. This lens has never had a real problem with vignetting, so why Leica decided that this extreme vignetting correction was necessary is beyond me. Obviously, we need a firmware update with more accurate profiles, but the best solution would be to give the user the ability to disable the lens corrections and just retain the exif data.

Images below for reference:

(bolded) That is extreme; I haven't seen anything like that with any of my R lenses. 

Send Leica bug reports when you see things like this. 

G

I have the 35-70 f4 and using the Leica T-M Adapter + Leica's R Adapter (which is coded) I have to manually select the correct R lens.

Its a dumb adapter, so how could it possible tell the camera which focal length we are using on a zoom?

BTW- in LR you can manually select the correct Lens data in Lens Corrections/Profile section. The 280mm f4 is listed.

It is a bit confusing to me how the corrections emplaced by the lens codes are handled vs LR's lens correction profiles. I was under the assumption that lenses with codes assigned are corrected in the raw data itself and that you shouldn't use the LR lens correction profiles on them ... you're doubling up the corrections that way.

The Lens Correction panel always has the "use profiles" setting off by default on my photos; turning it one and applying a profile often shows a somewhat over-corrected image, one way or another. 

Some help in understanding what ought to be the right workflow would be useful ... 

It is a bit confusing to me how the corrections emplaced by the lens codes are handled vs LR's lens correction profiles. I was under the assumption that lenses with codes assigned are corrected in the raw data itself and that you shouldn't use the LR lens correction profiles on them ... you're doubling up the corrections that way.

The Lens Correction panel always has the "use profiles" setting off by default on my photos; turning it one and applying a profile often shows a somewhat over-corrected image, one way or another. 

Some help in understanding what ought to be the right workflow would be useful ... 

I was referring to the lens that is not being corrected in camera...not for every lens.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Obviously, the SL cannot report the correct focal length on a R zoom lens. What it should do however, is to report one end or the other, so that we at least have a focal length value for auto ISO. Regarding the lens correction profiles in LR - yes, you can select a Leica R lens, but that only corrects distortion, not vignetting. Also, it does not carry through to the exif data. I shoot many, many images in the course of my work (500,000+ per year). Virtually all of these images are shot with manual lenses on dumb adapters, so I have no easy way to track the exif data. The SL will help in that regard, once these initial bugs are ironed out.

(bolded) That is extreme; I haven't seen anything like that with any of my R lenses. 

Send Leica bug reports when you see things like this. 

G

Agreed. I would like to make sure that Leica knows about it. Is there a recommended method or point of contact to send bug reports of this nature? Thanks.

Agreed. I would like to make sure that Leica knows about it. Is there a recommended method or point of contact to send bug reports of this nature? Thanks.

I sent bug reports to Mark Brady @ Leica USA, New Jersey using: technicalinfo@leicacamerausa.com

Sometimes I wheedle Jono into submitting bug reports as well.  :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

It is on the list to discuss with Leica on the 9th. The missing focal length for all the R zoom lenses also affects auto ISO which not working when set as the inverse of focal length and flash speed settings also. 

Wilson

It is on the list to discuss with Leica on the 9th. The missing focal length for all the R zoom lenses also affects auto ISO which not working when set as the inverse of focal length and flash speed settings also. 

Wilson

Great! I hope that allowing customization of the manual focus magnification button is at the top of your list? What I am finding is that the SL is really excellent with all of my M lenses. After careful evaluation, the M lenses on the SL are just as good as my Otus lenses and other proven performers from Zeiss and Canon when tested side by side (some are a hair better, some are a little worse - all are quite good though). The R lenses perform great, especially the long APO lenses, but the M lenses really sing on the SL and this combo is impossible to beat when size is factored in to the equation.

If we can get the correct tools to make manual focus work like it should (custom magnification button and peaking as a separate function), the SL with M lenses will be unbeatable as a complete system in my opinion.

Obviously, the SL cannot report the correct focal length on a R zoom lens. What it should do however, is to report one end or the other, so that we at least have a focal length value for auto ISO. Regarding the lens correction profiles in LR - yes, you can select a Leica R lens, but that only corrects distortion, not vignetting. Also, it does not carry through to the exif data. I shoot many, many images in the course of my work (500,000+ per year). Virtually all of these images are shot with manual lenses on dumb adapters, so I have no easy way to track the exif data. The SL will help in that regard, once these initial bugs are ironed out.

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I assume this will be fixed once they ship the actual R adapter...hopefully Leica understands the importance of getting this right. We really need manual lens to automatically zoom when focus is changed- I understand this requires a cam...but why can't the software sense the image is out of focus and make the switch?

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I assume this will be fixed once they ship the actual R adapter...hopefully Leica understands the importance of getting this right. We really need manual lens to automatically zoom when focus is changed- I understand this requires a cam...but why can't the software sense the image is out of focus and make the switch?

That would be great if somehow the SL could sense that the focus has changed by a certain percentage and activate the magnification function, but I'd say it's a long shot. However, I think most users would be satisfied with the ability to map the magnification function to the joystick in MF mode.