Leica SL - WoW + Help

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

First, a little bit a bout me and my camera history.

I started photography when I was 16 with an Olympus OM 707. Following a brief stint with Minolta, I moved to Canon with the EOS 5, then EOES 1v followed by EOS 1Ds, EOS 1D MKII, EOS 1D MKIII.  With the focusing issue of the 1D MKIII, I moved to Nikon with the Nikon D3 and then the Nikon D4. I also bought the Olympus OMD EM1 for its portability. 

I used to do a lot of action (airshows mainly) photography and hence the Canon 1D/Nikon Dx series. I later moved into landscape and macro photography, plus some cityscape.

My best ever camera was the Nikon D3 followed by D4 and the EM1. For me, it was never about shear resolution. I still think that my best images were taken by the 12 MP D3. Soon after I purchased the D4, I also bought the EM1 for its size and portability. Due to a new car purchase I let the D4 and a number of Nikkor lenses (24-70, 14-24, 70-200) go. While I regretted it, I thought some day I will get back to full frame.

When the Sony A7RII came out, I thought that was it for me. So I bought the 24-70 f4 FE + the two Zeiss Batis (25 and 85). However, I was not impressed with several aspect of the Sony:

• I hated the fact that I could not directly select the focusing point without a double button press.
  • No dual card slot. I am always afraid of losing my images.
  • Overall feel and handling. While it is a well built camera, in operation, it never felt as good as the EM1 or the Nikons.
  • The lack of a good zoom. For 99% of my photography these days I use the 24-70 range. I have always preferred zooms, but the 24-70 FE is simply terrible in the corners. The Zeiss 25 is amazingly good, but like I say, I prefer a very good 24-70/80/90 zoom.
  • The resolution - While excellent, I felt I didn't need it. The file sizes are huge compressed, let alone compressed.
  • The terrible, terrible battery life.
  • Tendency to blow the highlights.
  • Confusing menus

So, why Leica SL?

• After I bought a pair of Ulravid HD Plus Binos, I fell in love with the Leica quality.
  • The overall build quality and simplicity of the SL design
  • Direct focus point selection
  • 24 MP is the sweet spot for me
  • The hopefully brilliant do it all (for me) 24-90 Vario Elmarit Lens
  • Dual card slot
  • Very high res viewfinder
  • Good (at least far better than Sony's) battery life

I simply felt that the SL was the right camera for me and it would taking me back to my Nikon D3 days (not that I need the speed of that camera any more). So, on Wednesday I picked up the SL and 24-90. I am very impressed by its built quality, handling and simplicity.  I LOVE the simplicity and the handling.  It is the best built camera I have ever had.

Needless to say that all my Sony, Zeiss, Olympus Lenses and cameras are on eBay.

I have pre-ordered the SF 64 flash.  However, I would like the ability to use the flash off camera, either through remote trigger, or an off hot-shoe cord.  Does anyone know what my options are?

Thanks,

Reza