Studio Question for SL Owners

Jared

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It seems like the SL with the 24-90 might make a really good studio camera, but I had a question regarding its use... It is something that has come up when trying to use my 'T' and 'M' cameras in a studio environment.

If I am using off camera lighting and a wireless trigger, for example, then the EVF on my 'M' and 'T' cameras go dark since the camera thinks everything is going to be underexposed--it doesn't know the flashes are going to take care of things.  With the 'M' this isn't really a problem since I focus using the rangefinder.  

Is it possible with the SL to tell it that you are using external flashes?  That you don't want the EVF to show a simulated exposure--that you want it to modify the gain enough to get the autofocus to work?  Some other mirrorless cameras seem to have an option where you can tell the camera NOT to simulate the exposure in the EVF, but in looking through the instruction manual for the SL I couldn't find a similar setting?  Has anyone used the camera in a studio environment with off-camera flash?

Thanks for any guidance.  It's something I would want to understand before putting down a lot of money on the camera.  I don't do a lot of studio work, but it's still an important part of what I do.  I'd love to gain the autofocus speed of the 'SL' in this situation vs. the 'M' rangefinder.

- Jared

• Like 1

Use Exposure Preview = OFF (Camera menu, on the second page of options, press TL button three times and scroll down to the second page to find it.)

This is a feature that was added after the instruction manual was written, presumably. It disables the exposure preview simulation on the shutter half press and keeps the viewfinder bright. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent!  That's exactly what was required.  Glad the feature is there, even if it didn't make it to the instruction book.  I was worried that the camera wouldn't be usable for me in studio situations--can't use my Leica 'T' with off camera flash unless I have a static subject.

- Jared

• Like 1