Leica Q Family

Quitting carrying the Nikon D3s with fast glass was a life changing experience.  There's no way I'm headed back into that overweight world.

So true. I carried around Nikon DSLRs for years up and down mountains and got good pictures, but jumped at the chance to also do well in a different way with a much smaller, lighter package. The limitations of fixed lens are more than compensated with the Q  - I get more and better shots than I did before even though they're not always the same type of shots. Now I carry it most everywhere and love using it (a joy to use as so many have said) - not true with the DSLRs.

• Like 3

So true. I carried around Nikon DSLRs for years up and down mountains and got good pictures, but jumped at the chance to also do well in a different way with a much smaller, lighter package. The limitations of fixed lens are more than compensated with the Q  - I get more and better shots than I did before even though they're not always the same type of shots. Now I carry it most everywhere and love using it (a joy to use as so many have said) - not true with the DSLRs.

I agree with you and Alee. Although I never say never, lugging around 4 plus pounds of equipment plus a large bag is a chore with the Leica SL. Although I had my Nikon D800e with a 85/1.4 Nikon G lens available for Thanksgiving, I choose the Leica Q. Interestingly, the outcome and percentage of shots were preferable with the Q than previously with the Nikon. It was somewhat surprising to me, although a pleasant one. Lightroom enables me to do any adjustments. 

Steve Huff's latest review of the Leica SL's (Camera of the Year), and his files are simply "off the charts" incredible. But the 24-90 lens is a beast. The package is quite heavy. Maybe Leica will lighten the SL and lens beast one day. (If I ever purchased it, the SL would be a supplemental system). Until that day, I will stick exclusively to my current cameras and lenses. I think the Q is outstanding. Good luck!

• Like 1

I handled the SL a few days ago, and it was quite a relief: before that I really tought I had to buy it, but it is even uglier in real life, is way too heavy, has a terrible handgrip, the rubber flap to cover the ports is dreadful, it is way overpriced... the list goes on.

If I spent this money I would go S for not that much more

• Like 1

Against the grain of opinion here I did buy an SL. I thought it was ugly till I got it in hand and now I love it. I do wish it was smaller and that that LENS was smaller but the usability and shooting experience is amazing. Also, I'm finding that it may be easer to focus M lenses on an SL than on (sacrilege!) an M. The results with wide M lenses are perfectly acceptable for my purposes.

• Like 1