Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90 on T?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello fellow T Users,

has anybody of you already tried the combo above?

I'm debating if i should invest further in APS-C lenses or buy the SL zoom.When the T was released, i decided to not grab the 18-56 as it has no OIS and is a tad slow regarding its aperture. Now that the SL zoom lens has OIS, it sounds interesting to me - especially as long as there is no information on wether the Summilux-TL has OIS or not. The calculation is rather simple: 35 f/1.4 without stabilization or 35 f/4 with 3.5 stops (estimated) is about the same shutter time. Any thoughts?

Best regards,

Piet

Thoughts, yes, the T would look ridiculous mounted on the back of the very large (have you seen it?) 24-90, not to mention the issue of spending £3K on a FF lens for an APS-C sensor!

To give you an impression of the size of the T with the size of the SL 24-90, this is a picture of the T with the Leica Telyt MR 500/f8

Size Telyt MR 121x87mm. (length x diameter), weight 750 gr., with the adapters T-M/M-R, a bit longer than the SL-zoom, .

Size SL 24-90: 138x88 mm.(not extended and without the hood), weight 1,1 kg.

The Telyt you can use, just, handheld on the Leica T. The weight of the SL-zoom will shift the balance far too much. Then only usable on a tripod.

Now if you want to go overboard, the last picture is the T with the Minolta Rokkor 800 mm. f/8 RF with R-bajonet ,weight 1,8 kilograms!!

This is a focal length of 1200 mm. on the T!!! Better still, with the APO-extender it gives a FL of 2400 mm. Is still manageable in a small backpack though.

Works well, for a Mirror lens, but only on a tripod with extra help....., and, by far, not in the quality league of the SL  :D :D  :o  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by AndreasAM
  • Like 2

Well okay... there goes my crazy idea ;-)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained,

Not such a crazy idea, if you don't mind dealing with the logistics (and the price), I am sure that the combo would render excellent

images and if you decided to get the SL, you already have the lens.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello fellow T Users,

has anybody of you already tried the combo above?

I'm debating if i should invest further in APS-C lenses or buy the SL zoom.When the T was released, i decided to not grab the 18-56 as it has no OIS and is a tad slow regarding its aperture. Now that the SL zoom lens has OIS, it sounds interesting to me - especially as long as there is no information on wether the Summilux-TL has OIS or not. The calculation is rather simple: 35 f/1.4 without stabilization or 35 f/4 with 3.5 stops (estimated) is about the same shutter time. Any thoughts?

Best regards,

Piet

With the Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90mm lens there is a card insert that says not to use it with a Leica T body unless you have Leica T firmware 1.4.1 installed. I don't think firmware 1.4.1 is available yet. (This is not to say that I think such a large and heavy lens is a good match for the Leica T ...)

Hello Andreas,

Does the 800mm lens have an "SL" mount or a Minolta mount?

Best Regards,

Michael

Michael,

My Minolta RF Rokkor 800 mm. f/8, is manufactured with an original R-mount. So a T-M/M-R adapter does the trick for a Leica T or SL. For this lens I use a Novoflex T-R adapter.

As I understand only a few of these Minolta lenses were originally made with the R-mount on request of Leica. Because Leica didn't had a 800 mm. lens in the line up in the early seventies. The 800mm was first introduced in 1972. It comes with 2x, 4x, and 8x ND filters, as well as red, orange and yellow filters, which are attached at the rear of the lens. The lens has a weight of 1.8 kg. It measures 165 mm in length and 125 mm. in diameter.

It is a solid block of metal, with a tripod mount, and a rotatable R-mount that can turn the camera from landscape to portrait. Focusing is clunky, to put it mildly, with a basic lever, so it takes some practice. Minimum focus range is 8 meters!

The later Minolta version from 1973 had a better focusing ring, like the MR-Telyt, and had a white casing. They didn't came with an R-mount anymore and are very very hard to find on the secondhand market these days.

Optically it is good, for a mirror lens that is. Medium contrast, okay color rendition, not much light fall-off and very limited amount of distortion, no CA. Nothing you can't fix in LR and a decent ISO-capable camera.

Second sketch is the diagram for this lens. The Rokkor has more lens groups than the usual Mirror lens, like the Leica MR-Telyt-R 500mm./f8. which is the same as the Minolta RF Rokkor 500mm./f8. It dates from 1980-1996. The MR-Telyt-R  is better though, more contrast and better colors.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by AndreasAM
  • Like 1

With the Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90mm lens there is a card insert that says not to use it with a Leica T body unless you have Leica T firmware 1.4.1 installed. I don't think firmware 1.4.1 is available yet. (This is not to say that I think such a large and heavy lens is a good match for the Leica T ...)

No it is out. We're already on 1.4.3 aka 1.43. 

As as a transition to a SL it may make sense. Like:

First buy SL 24-90 and use it when needed in low light or when the bokeh matters as a 35-135 kind of lens.

Then when my budget allows get the SL body.

Of course I already have the 18-56 for when a compact light zoom is fine,  I've really come to believe that zoom lenses especially slow zoom lenses like the 18-56 are for experts. Not only do you have to know how and when to use different focal lengths and not fall into the bad habit of zooming rather than using foot zoom you also have to pay attention to your composition much more because you can't use bokeh to clean up your composition as much. Not to mention you don't have the ability to work as effectively in lower light situations, you have to be more clever or you don't get your shot.

Edited by bencoyote

this is a review of the SL, the reviewer quite early on places a T right next to the 24-90, you can confirm the relative size of the T's body to the size of the SL's zoom lens

From around 4 min, the T sits next to the 24-90v on the left of the desk. That gives you the size-comparison ;)