A Good Travelling Backpack for Leica Q

iJeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you are looking for a good travelling backpack for the Leica Q, I would highly recommend the ThinkTank Photo Perception 15.  It is slim, compact and lightweight.  The build quality is top notch.  There are two pouches inside the main compartment.  The camera pouch on the right fits my Leica Q with the LIM'S Design leather case with grip perfectly.  There is enough room below the pouches to house your jacket and other stuff.  There is a separate compartment at the back for a 15" notebook and an iPad.  The thick shoulder and back padding help to distribute the weight evenly and I can carry it for hours during travelling.  The only downside is there is no external side pocket for water bottle, so I have to house it inside the other pouch with my umbrella (which is meant for mirrorless camera lenses).  The Perception 15 comes in two colour (click the link below for details).

DSCF0283_zpswddwuoed.jpg

DSCF0277_zpsigmybtfw.jpg

DSCF0278_zps1k9dsoby.jpg

DSCF0280_zps183jpdqj.jpg

DSCF0281_zpszuu5i5wi.jpg
  • Like 1

Water bottles next to the camera, no thanks! :-) I'll never do that, water/liquids I always place in a separate room or preferably on the outside of the backpack. 

Agree.

Once I did see the results of a destroyed camera in a backpack where a water bottle leaked. 

They belong on the outside of the pack thanks.

Jeff,

I agree with the others waterbottle and umbrella shouold be kept outside. The waterbottle is not only a danger in terms of leakage but it should be at hand when needed, because it is awkward to open the backpack each time when you want a sip. Umbrellas are useful subjects but in windy conditions not advisable as being troubleshooters. I do never carry one but prefer raincovers for myself and the gear.

The backpack looks quite comfy for this type of gear though. Thanks for showing this option.

Looks like an interesting design and the larger version would suit me well in many ways. But why-oh-why don't camera backpack manufacturers take note of the progression in rucksacks and offer better harness systems - especially of the 'airflow' variety which stop damp transfer from hat and sweaty backs - I would have thought this to be an obvious requirement of moisture sensitive equipment carrying systems!

[speaking as someone who often carries cameras in a backpack for hours on end I'd welcome such a system and pay more for it. I've been looking at such rucksacks to replace my current one which is fraying now and can find nothing that really fulfils my absolute needs and I cannot be alone.]

Edited by pgk

• 10 months later...

Northface Router

Great use of space ... small laptop or iPad huge number of divided areas and two outside mesh pockets for water bottles ... which are secured near the top with straps.

Does not resemble a photo bag.

Bob

If the prime purpose of the backpack is to carry the Q, batteries, charger, etc. it seems to me, IMO, that it is overkill.  Using the backpack for additional items besides the Q et. al. may definitely make it worthwhile.  Think Tank makes quality, well thought through products and I'm sure this is as well.  For day outings with a Q which is what this backpack appears to support, I believe any good pack could be used and I do just that and wrap the Q in one of Domke's wraps. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Looks like an interesting design and the larger version would suit me well in many ways. But why-oh-why don't camera backpack manufacturers take note of the progression in rucksacks and offer better harness systems - especially of the 'airflow' variety which stop damp transfer from hat and sweaty backs - I would have thought this to be an obvious requirement of moisture sensitive equipment carrying systems!

[speaking as someone who often carries cameras in a backpack for hours on end I'd welcome such a system and pay more for it. I've been looking at such rucksacks to replace my current one which is fraying now and can find nothing that really fulfils my absolute needs and I cannot be alone.]

Have a look at Mindshiftgear - its Thinktank's sister company aimed at outdoorsy photographers, with lighter weight packs - Thinktank is Black and Bombproof - aimed at those working in the city.

I agree with the water bottle being kept outside the bag - especially if you have it full of cold water, which will cause condensation on the outside of the bottle.

iJeff - have fun trying to wear that backpack out - my thinktank bags are still alive and well (but looking worse for wear) after years of heavy use. Their warranty and customer service is excellent as well.

This is what I use for when I go travelling, or cycle to work

http://store.lowepro.com/photo-sport-bp-300-aw-ii

Where the camelback can go, I can fit my dell xps 13 laptop

When actually travelling I never put my camera away, but it could go in the bottom side compartment, i put all my electrical bits in there.

Clothes go in to main compartment, and wallet, phone etc can go in the top bit.

There's an external side pocket for drink if you want it, and another compartment I stored a book in on the outside of the main bag.

Edited by dancook

• 3 years later...

Here is a workaround if forced to carry a water bottle inside your backpack. It’s the COTOPAXI, 500ml stainless steel water bottle and comes in many colors. Go to https://www.cotopaxi.com/products/agua-water-bottle?variant=22821174343

1. Weighs 9.9oz empty & 1lb - 11oz full of water

2. Keeps liquids hot for 12h or cold for 24h

3. NO sweat or condensation from the environment 

4. Gasket in the cap prevents any leaks.  It seals very tight.

I’ve used this water bottle extensively for international travel and it’s never shed a drop of water.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wolfbird
Redundant picture