Elmar 50/2.8, a poor mans 50mm?

andym911

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As promised.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M8. 50 Elmar-M at f4, 1/3000 sec, -2/3 EV.

Enjoy,

- Carl

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've had a 50/2.8 for some years for my "mechanical" M cameras and now use it mainly on the M8, collapsing it into the body without ill-effect. It makes a great alternative to my Summilux 1.4 ASPH when I want something light and compact that can slide into a pocket. Like other posters, I just love it.

Is the hood for the 50/2.8 a screw in hood and does the lens cap fit on it. I'm wondering if I could use it on my 90/4 macro elmar?

Yes: it screws into any 39mm filter thread. It works well on the 35mm chron and the 90 mm macro. It even works on the 28mm 2.8, apparently without vignetting. The classic metal lens cap fits the end of the shade.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Congrats Tim. Does it still have that kind of black hat on the tube?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi, like the discussion on the elmar M8 combo.

Does anyone here use an old LTM elmar 50/3.5 with M8? How is your experience with it in terms of ergonomics and image quality? I heard that this is one of the very best old leitz glass.

Matthew

I am relieved that collapsing is not a problem, keeping in mind the caution when mounting.

At 5 to 10 feet, when not stopped down, it appears I am foucsed in the viewfinder but the exposure is not. Should I be collapsing the lens in that range?

I am relieved that collapsing is not a problem, keeping in mind the caution when mounting.

At 5 to 10 feet, when not stopped down, it appears I am foucsed in the viewfinder but the exposure is not. Should I be collapsing the lens in that range?

Gerhardt

you should not collapse the lens at all when shooting, irrelevant of distance.Are you sure the lens is fully extended and locked, half turn?

regards

andy

Andy:

Thank you. That must be it. I am rather slow to some of these things and then panick,

when things happen like not getting focus. Then the lens should always be extended

when shooting?

These shots posted here are great. I know this lens can be very good since I had

some great shots at the Grand Canyon. I wishing I had the trielmar that I am still waiting for, but I can make it with this in the meantime, g

• 1 year later...
Guest Ridder Cornelius

My favourite lens on m film leica#s is the collapsible 50 elmar, it's permanently attached to my M4......

As for the M8 I wouldn't know,never used it on that

My favourite lens on m film leica#s is the collapsible 50 elmar, it's permanently attached to my M4......

As for the M8 I wouldn't know,never used it on that

That's useful...

Regards,

Bill