Elmar 50/2.8, a poor mans 50mm?

andym911

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I read most threads here since last year since the M8 introduction with interest.

What I notice is very few mentions of the lmar 50mm lens.Many posters seem to favour the Lux and the Cron.

I personally find the Elmar absolutely perfect in terms of size, weight, ergonomics and quality, (the focussing is a dream) and at a price that is way way below its "big brothers".

The one or two stops it misses can be compensated by ISO speeds if needed and the quality I believe to be comparable.For me I never collapse it although it can be without touching the shutter.

I rate this lens as one of the best from Leica.

Just wondering if anyone else agrees or if most feel that it really is the "poor brother", and if so why?

Regards

Andy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would suspect one factor is the whole debate over whether these lenses can or cannot be collapsed into the M8. Clearly several users on this forum have had success in that regard. But I still think some people worry about taking the chance with their beloved M8s.

Personally, I have come close to buying one giving it a shot, but I keep thinking - what if I happen to get one that somehow damages my sensor? And I get cold feet.

Several have mentioned wrapping something around the lens barrel so that only a partial retraction can occur.

I just read in a Leica book about wrapping Dymo tape around the barrel of just this lens so it wouldn't strike the light meter in the M5.

That suggestion as well as thick string tied aroudnd the barrel have been suggested. Saving 1/2 mm will do the trick, right?

I'm afraid Leica have caused confusion over potential damage of collapsible lenses because there are some older versions of the 50/2.8 which will damage the shutter. I don't have a 50/2.8 but everything I've read says the current production is fine, as is the 90/4 which doesn't actually collapse into the camera at all.

Angelos..

I did not mean it literally as a poor mans lens, just that it appears to get much less coverage than the much more expensive lux and cron.

I personally prefer it to both, it really is a Gem as you say.

For other posters here and I am referring to the most recent version, it can be fully collapsed into the M8 without damage, I have done it numerous times, even though I mostly leave it extended.

When not using it I keep it in one of these old leica hard plastic "cheese" cover things.

regards

andy

I would suspect one factor is the whole debate over whether these lenses can or cannot be collapsed into the M8. Clearly several users on this forum have had success in that regard. But I still think some people worry about taking the chance with their beloved M8s.

Personally, I have come close to buying one giving it a shot, but I keep thinking - what if I happen to get one that somehow damages my sensor? And I get cold feet.

The current 50 Elmar certainly can be collapsed - fully - on the M8, without doing any damage to the sensor or to the shutter in front of it. The instruction book is badly worded and not as clear as it should be.

I saw a Leica area manager collapse one on the shop demo M8, and he twisted it round while collapsed. No nasty surprises.

It's all to do with the extent to which the barrel retracts beyond the lens flange. I think the main culprit is the old 90/4 Elmar collapsible, which has a long barrel. Current one (macro) is fine.

The current 50 Elmar-M is probably the most underrated lens in the current lens catalogue. It works wonderfully on the M8. The only wish I have is that someone could device a way to retrofit a focusing tab on it.

I'll post a recent example shot with the M8/50 Elmar-M combo when I get home later today.

Even though collapsing the land on the M8 isn't a problem a word of caution: When mounting or dismounting the lens, do this with the lens extracted. I looked through the back door or my M6 as I collapsed the lens - tolerances are really tight and there isn't much room between the lens barrel and the rangefinder arm.

- C

I've been shooting lately on a first version 2.8 Elmar 50mm and think it is wonderful. I didn't have a chance to try it on my M8 when I had it but think, as stated above, it retracts further and would cause damage.

The only 50mm I don't have is a Summilux and I think the old Elmar could be asserting itself as my favourite.

ciao to you all,

I've read many things and comments about the Elmar50, i may just say two things,

it is really a wonderful lens, and it can be fully collapsed into my M8 without any problem.

I have the latest version, 6 bit coded, and I'm sure that the dealer made me sweat a lot when, without any doubt, He collapsed the lens into my camera!

I continously wonder for the elmar detail, i prefer it somhow to what 28 asph 'cron does.

Focusing is perfect, great contrast...

No way for my experience to call it the "Poor"!

here I attach some samples... made with 28cron and 50elmar at the Egyptian Museum in Turin

You may decide....

Regards

Maurizio

MAURIZIO BEUCCI.com - Official web site

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Well this thread has finally convince me to take the plunge. Just ordered a used elmar from KEH. Just seems like a great pairing with my 28 2.8 asph for a light travel kit.

I'm sure I'll be quite nervous when I first attach it and collapse it.

Hi Tim,

just a question, did you order the 6bit version or was it an older one?

Because before the 6bit version, maybe there was a bit "longer" tube collapsing, even if it has the same version number.

My dealer told me for sure, that all the 6bit coded version can collapse without any problem into the M8, he wasn't sure at all with a year 2000 version, even if it should be the same!

for now, i post one picture again shot with M8 and elmar 50 under the rain.

For those who saw this picture in my web site MAURIZIO BEUCCI.com - Official web site , I already published it with wrong description of a shot taken with M8 and CV15, it is not obviously, a wide angle shot!

It's just M8+Elmar 50 and UV/IR Leica Filter

Sorry!

Regards to you all

Maurizio

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That's a beautiful shot.

Hmm. I do not think the used lens I purchased is 6-bit coded. I was operating under the impression that the latest model has the same physical dimensions regardless of when it was actually produced.

Has anyone collapsed one of the modern 50 elmars produced before the M8 came out?

Hi tim,

i can say to you just one thing, may you post a picture of it?

We can compare to that in the .pdf doc in the Leica website, or i can send you a picture of my lens tomorrow...

In the data sheet in Leica Website, there are dimensions written.You can't go wrong..

Just a question, what is the price for this used little jewel?

regards

Maurizio

MAURIZIO BEUCCI.com - Official web site

I ordered in online last night. It should be here on Friday.

I think it was 569 - chrome, in ex condition without a box, etc.

I've had great luck with lenses from KEH - I think they are often much better than described in their rating system.

I'd love it if you could ship me a photo of yours for comparison. and I can take a photo of mine when it arrives.

This is a great thread that has got me thinking. One of the dangers with reading all the latest reviews is one gets all "focused" on all the hype around the new (expensive products), often at the expense of why we bought the M8 in the first place. One big reason is that it is small enough to take anywhere. I have the usual portfolio of super fast leica lens, have been considering a travel kit, almost go sucked into the 24, 50/1.4 and 90/2.0 (as the current favorites among many gear heads - of which I'm one). But then a thread like this has me swing 180 degrees - 28/2.8, maybe 50/2.8 (I have two 50s already, including a 50/2.0) and 90/4.0. I love this forum.

M