28mm, 35mm, 50mm Anyone Use This?

The only reason that I don't use it, is because I can crop a file in Lightroom. With that said, the 35mm or 50mm are perfectly adequate IMHO for most purposes, if one does not crop. It is a handy feature, especially when traveling, and you want to post something directly to Facebook, etc.  Good luck. 

I'm at a loss as to the value of this feature, but then again, it's rare that I don't learn something on this forum!

I've never used it, and like you see no value in it at all…….

Yeah - I could only ever see using it for the rough framing guideline (35mm particularly suites me) but I don't use the JPEGs.  Even at that, I am more interested in getting used to 28mm versus cropping everything to 35mm in Lightroom.

Like yourself I'm doing my best to adapt to a fixed 28mm lens. And while I believe my iPhone 6+ is a 29mm lens (I could be wrong), I use the iPhone for everything from sending my wife a photo from the supermarket to make sure I'm purchasing the correct item, to, taking a picture of something I'm about to disassemble to make sure I put it back together correct. That's not why I purrchased the Q LOL. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone know exactly what happens in either of these crop modes? When the photo is taken, is a digital zoom used in order to get the image to 35mm or 50mm, or is the sensor actually cropped and thus a smaller portion of the sensor used to take the photo? I have found that the image quality does suffer slightly in 35mm crop mode and suffers unacceptably (in my opinion) in 50mm crop mode.

Does anyone know exactly what happens in either of these crop modes? When the photo is taken, is a digital zoom used in order to get the image to 35mm or 50mm, or is the sensor actually cropped and thus a smaller portion of the sensor used to take the photo? I have found that the image quality does suffer slightly in 35mm crop mode and suffers unacceptably (in my opinion) in 50mm crop mode.

Wow . . . this is VERY interesting in that I foolishly and naively thought this was literally a cropping (don't know how) of the photo and resolutions maintained. I think I was subliminally concerned about it in that I never use it figuring it was some snake-oil, smoke and mirrors, voodoo that I wanted no part of. LOL

I should have read your reply more closely in that it seems that you have answered the question in your question/reply: I have found that the image quality does suffer slightly in 35mm crop mode and suffers unacceptably (in my opinion) in 50mm crop mode.

Resolutions are not maintained, the megapixel count goes down as you crop, but again I wasn't exactly answering anything but merely posing a new question...when put into crop mode, does this camera actually crop thus using a smaller portion of the sensor to take the photo or does it digitally zoom?

Wow . . . this is VERY interesting in that I foolishly and naively thought this was literally a cropping (don't know how) of the photo and resolutions maintained. I think I was subliminally concerned about it in that I never use it figuring it was some snake-oil, smoke and mirrors, voodoo that I wanted no part of. LOL

And if a digitsl zoom the area of 50mm vs. 28mm is over twice as much so (~500 x 1200) and that would indeed yield a much lower res. Help anyone?

As far as I can tell it is simply a crop, i.e. comparing the jpeg out of the camera at 50mm to the appropriate cropped section of the full frame DNG looks about the same.   If there is a quality issue it may be due to jpeg settings.

Edit: I do not use the crop modes.  I've my jpegs set to the smallest resolution and throw them away as part of my import workflow.   I crop the DNG if needed.

Edited by marchyman

As far as I can tell it is simply a crop, i.e. comparing the jpeg out of the camera at 50mm to the appropriate cropped section of the full frame DNG looks about the same.   If there is a quality issue it may be due to jpeg settings.

Edit: I do not use the crop modes.  I've my jpegs set to the smallest resolution and throw them away as part of my import workflow.   I crop the DNG if needed.

Well, when I say the quality is just not there at 50mm crop, what I am referring to is a much lower megapixel image compared to a 24mp one at 28mm. If I blow up enough there is indeed a difference. 35mm crop works relatively well as it's not even cropping down to APS-C sized.

Edited by jay968

Yes, fewer pixels.   Depending upon use that may or may not relate to lessor quality.   If you are printing large posters you'll notice the difference.  However, many images posted to web forums, for example, are around 1 megapixel (1280x853 for 3x2 format).   I don't think many can tell the difference between an 8 megapixel image that has been reduced to 1 megapixel vs a 24 megapixel image that has been reduced to 1 megapixel.]

It depends upon your use if the 50mm crop provides enough.

jpg's are always inferior quality. I never work on jpg's but only on the original files. I use the frames only as a preview for an eventual crop. But being honest, what do I need such a crop for? If I have this versatile 28 mm lens with a macro function it should be possible to find an approach to your subject and crop a little bit where necessary. This cropping is being done in LR on DNG files of adjusting frames on a Tiff file in PSE. These Tiff files are being converted into jpgs for external use in different sizes and purposes.

• Like 2

I use it occasionally. The frameline view in the EVF is similar to a M with similar advantages (ie seeing outside the frame, etc). The resolution drop to 35mm isn't too bad, 50mm...probably more than I prefer so I don't use it as much. It also works nice shooting DNGs since you can adjust the crop afterwards in postprocessing, either repositioning or resizing it.

It crops the JPEG, but the DNG captured is the full 28mm field of view at full resolution.  Why you open the DNG in Lightroom, the crop will be shown, but the full image is there, just not highlighted.

It is a good tool with the 35mm crop, fine for casual pics, but serious photography in the 50mm mode.