Incompetent Salesmen at Christmas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

-----------------------------

Hullo XXXXXXX Photo,

I came in on... Friday to look for some Christmas presents while I was in town. Great help in used equipment by the way! While I was there I wanted to look at a Leica T, because.. Because I'm interested in a Leica T. The salesman told me, "If you want my opinion this is just another failed Leica experiment." The salesman also couldn't show me a charged-battery camera, and he didn't know how to get the battery out (I had to show him), and didn't have a viewfinder. 

C'mon guys. I know I like weird cameras. I bought several Olys from you when they were Four-Thirds, rented a D-200 from you ages ago, and I bought a Fuji X-Pro 1 and lenses when they were new. Maybe you don't sell a lot of Leicas, but when someone says he's interested in one, don't be a deliberate and obstructive doofus. Maybe you don't sell a lot of Leicas (?) because you don't know what's what about them.

-------------------------------

Anyone else have a fun horror story?

While the salesman couldn't tell me about a modern Leica, he DID tell me he had an M6, and made a snide remark about the new "cheap" Leica M.

Aaaargh.

I remember going into an apparently well know shop a few years ago and looking at the latest Nikon and Canon.

The salesman was very aggressive and told me to buy Canon for Video and Nikon for stills. And refused to show me the Canon as I told him I was interested in stills ..

Just weird. Like these folk have no basic sales training or a background in courtesy ....

• Like 1

Leica stores in Singapore have the same standard in all the sales personal, they are very helpful and nice and don't try to sale you something you don't need. Thats why I'm loyal to the brand, however in stores that are just a Leica dealers, they have the tendency to assume one is stupid, or you are a tourist that doesn't know about photography, and worst, when you ask for the price they will give it to you but they don't show it to you if you don't agree with the price. that is a horror history. 

• Like 1

Just started buying at a new "Leica" store recently, whereas in the past was at pro shops with other choices which I felt more comfortable.  The nearest Leica store located in an upscale mall seems pretentious and a little too much assuming you don't know what you are looking at and never held a camera, and kind of treat you like you have more money than sense and they want your money!  Too much fawning too.  So I only will go there if can't find elsewhere or just want to look at something.  Mostly will avoid.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I must be lucky the Leica shop in Zürich is run by two professional. Could not be more courteous and willing to answer questions etc. I have learnt several useful thinks from them and they definitely don't try and pressurize me into anything. I can vouch for Colonel's (Canon/Nikon) experience I have come across that before at that time I walked empty handed and ended up with a Ricoh GXR. A very good camera indeed.

The Leica shop in London is interesting. The engineering side is staffed by some really knowledgable and friendly folk.

The shop side is staffed by really friendly, but seemlingly boutiquey type staff. All a very nice atmosphere, especially the excellent free coffees ....

Edited by colonel

• 2 weeks later...

The Leica shop in London is interesting. The engineering side is staffed by some really knowledgable and friendly folk.

The shop side is staffed by really friendly, but seemlingly boutiquey type staff. All a very nice atmosphere, especially the excellent free coffees ....

I must visit there next time I am in London, but as I hate the place, that could be a long time before I get there!

Next time go around the corner to Bang and Olufsen in Hannover Square. I not only got tea and biscuits, but an invite that night to the Bulgari Hotel for a launch party.

Lots of the folk there admired my Leica X type.

• Like 1

Next time go around the corner to Bang and Olufsen in Hannover Square. I not only got tea and biscuits, but an invite that night to the Bulgari Hotel for a launch party.

Lots of the folk there admired my Leica X type.

Just imagine what you'd've been offered if you were carrying a Leica S  :o

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

"...Maybe you don't sell a lot of Leicas, but when someone says he's interested in one, don't be a deliberate and obstructive doofus..."

Hear, hear.

The "salesman" in question sounds like another Leica hater. 

If someone wants to spend thousands of dollars on a camera that your store offers for sale, LET THEM.  Don't bash the camera that they want or try to sell them an M instead.  Camera selling is not rocket science. 

I agree totally with your comment on the shop staff. The last visit the salesman emphasised to me you could not bracket the on camera flash when using it to fill in. We both understood each other at the time, and what he said shows he does not know Leica products, or cameras in general , very well. Poor I thought for a Leica flagship outlet.

Edited by Petercoll

I agree totally with your comment on the shop staff. The last visit the salesman emphasised to me you could not bracket the on camera flash when using it to fill in. We both understood each other at the time, and what he said shows he does not know Leica products, or cameras in general , very well. Poor I thought for a Leica flagship outlet.

Speak to Jimmy in the engineering side ;)