Which card for the SL?

jrp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Re-test, again with Sandisk Extreme Pro 95Mbps 64G cards:

I counted the time from when I clicked the power switch ON to when the function indicators went out on the LCD display the second time as being the full "ready" cycle when I timed my camera's wake up cycle. Normally, with both cards in place, the cycle takes between four and five seconds. Powering on to fully ready with just card in slot 1 is a little less than half a second quicker. 

If the camera has gone to sleep (all displays off, set to 1 minute) with the power switch ON, the wake up cycle initiated by pressing the shutter release button is instantaneous. If it has passed the auto-power-off cycle (set to two minutes), it takes about two and a half seconds to awaken with a shutter release half-press. 

I guess for best responsiveness and decent energy savings, I'd set the auto-power-off to 5 minutes and the all-displays-off to 1 minute. That way the camera will sleep relatively quickly but will wake instantly for most purposes. 

The screen comes on, but the buttons are unresponsive. The top panel says "searching".  Eventually you get a red flashing light of the card being accessed and you can go. 

I get the words "CARD SEARCH" when I first turn on the camera for about 1 second or less. This is with 2 SanDisk cards installed.

When the camera sleeps and I touch the shutter to wake it I get the same. 

If yours is taking 5-10 seconds this indicates a problem. Either you have bad cards, improperly formatted (I assume you formatted in camera), incompatible cards or a defective camera.  Have you tried a pair of SanDisk 95MB/s cards to see if the problem is the camera or cards? They are very cheap.

• Like 1

The Leica Site now contains someone Information about Supportes SD Cards; Looks strange for UHS-II:

SD-Karte Slot 1 (UHS II) mit max. Schreibgeschwindigkeit von 100 MB/s, SD-Karte Slot 2 (UHS I) mit max. Speichergeschwindigkeit von 30 MB/s

SD Karten Kompatibilität:

UHS-1: 
Alle UHS-1 SD Karten.

UHS-2:
TOSHIBA EXCERIA PRO [16GB]
TOSHIBA EXCERIA PRO [32GB]
TOSHIBA EXCERIA PRO [64GB]
TOSHIBA EXCERIA PRO [128GB]

with sandisk extreme pro uhs II 280mb cards I get 'card search' for about half a second and basically can take a photo quicker than I can bring the camera to my eye .... and almost instantaneous from standby.

I am sure this is all down to residual crap on the card if it has been used before and suboptimal formatting. I always use new cards with a new camera .... and now do a first time full format and erase with SD-formatter. 

As a result I have never had ANY of the issues cited on the forum with various Leica cameras ...... and start up and write times have been as fast as the best quoted here for all my cameras ...... and that goes for the original M9 onwards. 

with sandisk extreme pro uhs II 280mb cards I get 'card search' for about half a second and basically can take a photo quicker than I can bring the camera to my eye .... and almost instantaneous from standby.

I haven't any problems with sandisks UHS-I cards - but with their UHS-II (in backup-mode) I lost Data (about 5 shots two times), so today I switched to older UHS-I.

When I asked Leica they said they know this problem and will fix it in the future.

All this with FW 1.1.