Which card for the SL?

jrp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Manual says UHS-I for slots 1+2 or UHS-II for slot 2. I assume that the latter is needed for 4K video. It doesn't say what would happen if you put 2 UHS-II cards in (would slot 1 be ignored or would they both just run at UHS-I speeds.

Anyway, which cards are successful and which not, in what circumstances?

I am using 2 Lexar SDHC UHSII 32 GB 1000x

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I am using 2 Lexar SDHC UHSII 32 GB 1000x

I have used Lexar SDHC UHSII 64GB x1000 in each slot with no ill effects; It is the gibberish in manual that is driving me crazy; I wish there is a simple coherent cheat sheet or video to get started. I am learning to navigate  the menu button at much slower pace than anticipated. I hope leica offer an online tutorial or workshop in near future..

I'm too simple minded to go hunting up specs of cards and such.

I installed two Sandisk Extreme Pro 64G 95Mbps cards when I received the SL. They've been working without any issues. 

Same here 

However, I think that although most cards work well, there are exceptions, but that they're more to do with the individual card than the brand - I don't think this is Leica's problem, but the card manufacturers who are having variability problems with the high speed cards.

The moral of the tale seems to be that if you have cards which are fast and work well . . . . stick to them!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is the gibberish in manual that is driving me crazy; I wish there is a simple coherent cheat sheet or video to get started. I am learning to navigate  the menu button at much slower pace than anticipated. I hope leica offer an online tutorial or workshop in near future..

i'm beginning to be increasingly pleased that I didn't have a manual when I learned how to use the camera!

I think the menu's are great . . BUT . . . it's important to understand that when you choose the menu button on the top left . . . what you get is NOT the camera menu (top left button) but the Favorites menu (top right button) If you want the 'Camera' menu you have to hit the top right button twice (or three times if you have live view on the back screen). It took me ages to figure this out, at which point everything seemed to fall into place.

• Like 4

i'm beginning to be increasingly pleased that I didn't have a manual when I learned how to use the camera!

I think the menu's are great . . BUT . . . it's important to understand that when you choose the menu button on the top left . . . what you get is NOT the camera menu (top left button) but the Favorites menu (top right button) If you want the 'Camera' menu you have to hit the top right button twice (or three times if you have live view on the back screen). It took me ages to figure this out, at which point everything seemed to fall into place.

Sorry, Jono, but I don't understand that at all ...

Maybe when I get the camera, it will make sense?

Sorry, Jono, but I don't understand that at all ...

Maybe when I get the camera, it will make sense?

Here's how it works: 

A long press on any of the four main control buttons immediately activates whatever assigned function you've set for it, whether you're looking at the LCD or the EVF. 

When you're looking at the LCD, a short press on any of the four buttons activates the menu control system and shows the four direct command indicators for the buttons. Your second press on any of the four buttons initiates their direct function (TL = menu, BL = magnification, TR = image review, BR = display overlay cycle). 

A press at this point on the TL button for the menus then shows whatever you've configured in the Favorites menu, the logic being to get you to your most commonly wanted menu commands fastest. You're in the menu system, which is partitioned TL=Camera, BL=Image, TR=Favorites, BR=Setup, so a third press on the TL button now brings you to the Camera menu section. 

When you're looking at the EVF, the menu control activation step is bypassed by default. So a short press on the four main control buttons with EVF active jumps directly to their direct function, as above (BL = magnification, TR = image review, BR = display overlay cycle) minus the TL = menu function. (I can't recall at the moment whether there's any other direct function the TL button initiates with the EVF active, but I don't think there is. The camera isn't with me at the moment to check.)

There's an option to disable the menu control activation bypass in the Setup menu which allows you to dive into the menu system using the EVF. 

The system is clever and works very quickly and surely, but it's complex to describe ... much more complex to describe than it is to use.  :)

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

It is the gibberish in manual that is driving me crazy; I wish there is a simple coherent cheat sheet or video to get started. I am learning to navigate  the menu button at much slower pace than anticipated. I hope leica offer an online tutorial or workshop in near future..

After reading early comments on the manual, I deliberately learned the SL without looking at it (the manual, that is, not the camera!). I sorted out pretty well most things without difficulty, leaving a few obscurities (e.g. Key Lock) for the manual later.

As a reference work, the manual was, more or less, OK, give or take a lousy index.

As a narrative instruction book, it goes out of its way to make the simple appear horrendously complex.

• Like 1

Here's how it works: 

A long press on any of the four main control buttons immediately activates whatever assigned function you've set for it, whether you're looking at the LCD or the EVF. 

When you're looking at the LCD, a short press on any of the four buttons activates the menu control system and shows the four direct command indicators for the buttons. Your second press on any of the four buttons initiates their direct function (TL = menu, BL = magnification, TR = image review, BR = display overlay cycle). 

A press at this point on the TL button for the menus then shows whatever you've configured in the Favorites menu, the logic being to get you to your most commonly wanted menu commands fastest. You're in the menu system, which is partitioned TL=Camera, BL=Image, TR=Favorites, BR=Setup, so a third press on the TL button now brings you to the Camera menu section. 

When you're looking at the EVF, the menu control activation step is bypassed by default. So a short press on the four main control buttons with EVF active jumps directly to their direct function, as above (BL = magnification, TR = image review, BR = display overlay cycle) minus the TL = menu function. (I can't recall at the moment whether there's any other direct function the TL button initiates with the EVF active, but I don't think there is. The camera isn't with me at the moment to check.)

There's an option to disable the menu control activation bypass in the Setup menu which allows you to dive into the menu system using the EVF. 

The system is clever and works very quickly and surely, but it's complex to describe ... much more complex to describe than it is to use.  :)

(bolded) I checked ... No, the TL button has no direct function when pressed using the EVF with the bypass active. This makes sense as it is directly in front of the tip of my nose (right-eyed shooter) and could imagine accidentally tapping it occasionally. 

I'm intrigued to discover this quite relevant discussion of the SL's new user experience in the middle of a thread on SD cards.  In an earlier life, I helped to develop advanced products that could be sold to real consumers, not to engineers or programmers.  It was an article of faith that if the intended customer could not pick up our product and make it do something useful at the first touch of the keyboard, the product would languish in the store forever.  It is clear that we customers are something quite different from that consumer.  I guess since the SL is not likely to be anyone's first camera ever, we each come to it with some strategy for climbing the learning curve.

Mastering new software development tools today is also like this.  The best way is to have someone sitting to either side that is just a bit ahead of you in learning what it can do.

scott     

I still have not really committed to memory the 1, 2 or three short presses or 1 long press distinctions...

Go to the review of the SL that Jono Slack wrote and posted over at GetDPI,  ( at http://www.getdpi.com/wp/2015/10/the-leica-sl/ ) and read down to the section on Body and Controls, starting at The Back... It's concise and provides a good start with something of an overview.

scott

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I tried a couple of Lexar 64Gb 2000x / 300Mb/s cards.  Wake from sleep is now 5-10s, while the camera is "searching".  Firmware 1.1.  Let's see what 1.2 brings.  

A single 95Mb/s Sandisk has no such problem.

What exactly do you mean by "wake up from sleep"? You get nothing in the EVF for 5-10 seconds? or you can't  take a photo?

I have never experienced anything like this with 2 cards installed. When the camera is asleep, if I touch the shutter my camera immediately wakes up. 

It takes about 2-3 seconds before I can take an image...but Ive never once waited longer than that.

Im using mostly SanDisk Extreme pro 95MB/s SDXC1 cards (16, 32 and 64GB). Currently a 64GB in slot 1 and 32GB in slot 2.

Ive also used Lexar SDHC 1 600X 16GB, Sandisk Extreme  45MB/s 32GB, Sandisk Ultra SDHC1 32GB, and SanDisk Extreme Plus 64GB UHS-1 SDXC 80MB/s all with the same results.

If you are waiting 10 seconds for the camera to wake-up I would suggest shipping it back to Leica...this is not normal behavior.