Flash use with iiig

Jon Pop

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a SF24D which I use for my digital M cameras, but was wondering if there was a way to trigger it and use it with my iiig.  I'm trying to find a cord that will connect to the outlet on the back on one end, with the hot shoe on the other to hold the SF24D.  Haven't had much luck.  Any suggestions? Is this impossible?

Of course...no expectations of TTL  :D!   I just want to trigger it. 

I have a SF24D which I use for my digital M cameras, but was wondering if there was a way to trigger it and use it with my iiig.  I'm trying to find a cord that will connect to the outlet on the back on one end, with the hot shoe on the other to hold the SF24D.  Haven't had much luck.  Any suggestions? Is this impossible?

Of course...no expectations of TTL  :D!   I just want to trigger it. 

Auto mode (where flash determines complete exposure) is better anyway.

Kaiser PC to Hot Shoe Adapter

I have used it on other cold shoes.

There are so many that turn a hot shoe into a PC outlet (wrong way), and pass-throughs (not for us) that it is confusing. I ordered one and if you don't mind waiting I can try it before you buy.

Edited by pico

Hello Jon,

The flash socket on a IIIg is the same socket as the standard PC socket used from the M4 up to today.

You can use the electronic flash in a variety of manners with the top dial set to either of the 2 lightning bolts & the front dial set in various positions.

There is a copy of the IIIg instruction book at the top of this page in the WIKI. The instructions explain the various options available for using the electronic flash in different situations/combinations.

Best Regards,

Michael

Michael, there might be a misunderstanding. Jon's IIIG has a cold shoe so the SF24D will not fire. However the IIIG does have a PC synch socket on the back. What he can do (from my suggestion above) is to use a shoe adapter that has the necessary contacts to fire the SF when the adapter is plugged into his PC socket.

The Metz 20 C-2 works well on my IIIg and it will also give bounce flash. It comes with a nice little sync cord and it has auto settings for f2.8 and f5.6. It will work on manual with other f stops. The only slight issue with the Metz is that it sits better in later M shoes than in early M or LTM ones but this can be managed. 

I also have a PC to hot shoe adapter, similar to the Kaiser, which will work with other flash guns as well as the Metz.

William

Edited by willeica

• 7 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, DAVIDMC100 said:

I just ordered a Kaiser PC to Hot Shoe Adapter to use with my IIIf. What should I set the synchro selector scale to? I have the red synchro scale. I have a SF 20 and a SF 40 flash.

According to the manual, you can set the shutter speed to 1/50 and the red sync dial to 20, or set the shutter speed to 1/25 and the red sync dial to 0. But perhaps someone who uses modern flashguns with the IIIf RD can confirm this still applies?

On 12/30/2022 at 11:36 AM, Anbaric said:

According to the manual, you can set the shutter speed to 1/50 and the red sync dial to 20, or set the shutter speed to 1/25 and the red sync dial to 0. But perhaps someone who uses modern flashguns with the IIIf RD can confirm this still applies?

Both of those work on my IIIf, yes. On 1/50 occasionally the flash catches the very extreme edge of the shutter curtain, but I attribute this to the camera being old and janky. And anyway it doesn't obscure more than a tiny sliver of the frame.

• Like 1