Vienna One Challenge Results

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hallo,

Gratulation an Alle !  

und ich freue mich schon auf die nächste Ausgabe von wundervollen Fotos und spannenden Ergebnissen

Hello,

congratulations to all !

i am looking forward to the next edition of wonderful photos and great results

:)

I certainly would welcome the opportunity to meet you in person at the next Challenge!

I certainly would welcome the opportunity to meet you in person at the next Challenge!

i would like to wish it to be and i would love to want to travel to other countries, but germany would be most feasible.....maybe

thanks for the "invitation", it would have me really happy

:)

Congratulations to John, Lars and Carsten and to the runners up, I particularly had a difficult time choosing my favourites for you are all winners. One photograph stood out though for a number of reasons and as we can now see it was made by an interesting camera, namely Photo number 9 - the wheel. But what interests me is how it was printed, for printed it has been - that's no "shopped" picture may we be enlightened as to it's creation?

I'd be interested...

Charles

Hi Charles, 

Since the Copenhagen One Challenge I was planning to use Gum-Bichromate printing for my entry. Didn't have success in my printing attempts after Copenhagen, had no time for it after Wetzlar, didn't feel like it in Istanbul, but now in Vienna things sort of came together. I knew exactly what I wanted to photograph. This printing process doesn't easily lend itself to fine details and subtleties, so I knew which subjects to choose. The outcome is still not very predictable - but I am extremely happy with the result. The chain from seeing, visualising and printing has been going to expectations, though an element of serendipity did come in.

I photographed with my trusted Leica-0 replica on colour film, then separated the negative into YMCA colour masks and printed those onto transparent paper. Next step was to size some nice strong watercolour paper. Gum-Bichromate printing uses a base of Gum Arabicum, that is mixed with a solution of Bichromates and a colour pigment. Upon exposure to UV light the exposed Bichromate mixture hardens. When watering afterwards, the unexposed parts are washed off, and only the exposed layers stay. Normally one prints from light (yellow) to dark (Cyan), as I did here, with Magenta in-between.

Issues with the printing process are that it is rather unpredictable and uncontrolled. For example: light pigments block UV light less then dark pigments, so the exposure time should be adjusted accordingly; it is quite messy, and not entirely healthy, so care has to be taken when handling this stuff, and the chemicals and waste-water have to be properly disposed off; the processes rather time-consuming, it takes a few days between preparation, drying, printing, washing, drying, ... to get a print. 

Anyway, I am extremely happy with the result  :)

Rgds

Christoph

• Like 4

Thanks Christoph!

In this day and age hand craft its inspiring particularly when it goes beyond the mainstream application of the photographic print, your approach though considered is still fraught with uncertainty and as you say serendipity played its hand too. But the result is a great testimony to your dedication and your craft and I am looking forward more such examples.

Sincerely

Charles

• Like 1