Shoulder bag recommendations

PaulJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This photo is of the very same Hadley Pro. It has very little in it - adding more makes matters worse. The "gusset fastener" on the outer pock is released and the main closure straps are at about the halfway hole. As you can clearly see water is free to flow into both the front pocket and the main pocket.

attachicon.gifbillingham.JPG

[Edit...I meant to quote your top pic....the following is in response to that...]

I don't know how much, or how, you've packed, but my bag looks totally different when filled.....in fact I just measured almost a two inch overlap of the top flap draping down over the edge of the side of the bag.  

It's one reason I specifically preferred the bag to others (like ONA) that were available to test with my own gear before purchase.

It would have been obvious to me not to walk in the pouring rain with the top open to the elements like that.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

In contrast my now aging Brady Gelderburn is carrying its usual load in this picture - iPad in sleeve, keyboard, notebooks aplenty, coat, umbrella, various road warrior cables, cords, chargers, battery packs, wallets, security passes, medications etc. It's heavy. The flap, as you can see is covering both the main zip and the front pocket zip. It's not a totally waterproof setup but it has never, ever leaked in any way.

attachicon.gifgelderburn.JPG

I also use an Ortlieb Day Shot and a Soft Shot - the latter a good small shoulder bag. They look ugly by comparison but they are 100% waterproof.

Funny.  I just doubled checked both my Hadley pro and the Hadley small.  Fully loaded, including pockets, and properly latched down they full covered and no gaps for rain to drip in.  I suggest this is "user error".  It's not the bag fabric, as we originally thought was the problem.  

• Like 3

As Billingham user since early 1980s in all weather and owner of five bags - four Hadleys and original Series 2 I can state with confidence it was user error.

This photo is of the very same Hadley Pro. It has very little in it - adding more makes matters worse. The "gusset fastener" on the outer pock is released and the main closure straps are at about the halfway hole. As you can clearly see water is free to flow into both the front pocket and the main pocket.

Funny.  I just doubled checked both my Hadley pro and the Hadley small.  Fully loaded, including pockets, and properly latched down they full covered and no gaps for rain to drip in.  I suggest this is "user error".  It's not the bag fabric, as we originally thought was the problem.  

• Like 1

As Billingham user since early 1980s in all weather and owner of five bags - four Hadleys and original Series 2 I can state with confidence it was user error.

The issue is that call it what you like, when we set off the bag was properly closed and covered, however the design allows it to move like that in use. Never again :-)

The issue is that call it what you like, when we set off the bag was properly closed and covered, however the design allows it to move like that in use.

Not even close to my experience during packing or use.  Unless Fibrenyte material acts differently than canvas, you have a faulty bag and/or you haven't used it wisely.  

If I was certain that I had a faulty bag, I wouldn't be posting here....I'd be contacting Billingham.  

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Has anyone tried a cheaper solution? What about the following bag. Lenses can be wrapped in used socks to prevent rubbing against each other.

Pros:

- Cheap

- No one will suspect you had been rolling in money (at least before M purchase)

Cons

- Not durable but since it costs only $0.10, you can afford to replace it 3000 times for the cost of Hadley something. 
 (I noticed that it is not really a con but I had to have something to list)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My camera bag & carrier..  (X1 & spare battery)... :o

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Not even close to my experience during packing or use.  Unless Fibrenyte material acts differently than canvas, you have a faulty bag and/or you haven't used it wisely.  

If I was certain that I had a faulty bag, I wouldn't be posting here....I'd be contacting Billingham.  

Jeff

So there we have it - two different and equally valid experiences of the same bag. All I'll say is that the bag in discussion isn't suffering a one off fault. It's like every other Billingham Hadley Pro I've ever seen. Every owner is at risk of the same experience. I hope when it happens to others they don't have a few K of expensive gear in it.

The only fault would be to assume that the Billingham bags are waterproof  - the fabric is great, the structure leaves things to be desired - in anything but a light shower.

Edited by mike_h

Has anyone tried a cheaper solution? What about the following bag. Lenses can be wrapped in used socks to prevent rubbing against each other.

Pros:

- Cheap

- No one will suspect you had been rolling in money (at least before M purchase)

Cons

- Not durable but since it costs only $0.10, you can afford to replace it 3000 times for the cost of Hadley something. 

(I noticed that it is not really a con but I had to have something to list)

attachicon.gifPhoto Dec 03, 8 51 30 PM.jpg

Oh my God! 

USED socks for a Leica camera?

Sacrilege! New unused socks only please.

The closure straps are adjustable for a reason. If they are not adjusted correctly for the loading then the bag is not set up correctly and could leak. I've used a Hadley Pro for years and never had water in it. Tools, including bags. need using properly I'm afraid. Blaming the design is hardly fair. Mine gets less use these days because I prefer a backpack which is ultimately better for my back as I can carry gear for a long time. But if I have to use a bag its my Hadley Pro which is now well enough 'worn' to have sufficient 'patina' to look reasonably nondescript. Unfortunately my backpack is fraying and will need replacing far sooner than the Billingham.

Cons

What about a 'Bag for Life'? Most Supermarkets offer these for 10 or 15p and when you've worn them out you get a replacement free and the Supermarket recycles the old one.

Incidentally I'd recommend unused Bridgedale socks for lenses - numerous thicknesses are available depending on the degree of protection (hiking, running, walking, etc) and they tend not to shed bits of fluff like cheaper socks can.

What about a 'Bag for Life'? Most Supermarkets offer these for 10 or 15p and when you've worn them out you get a replacement free and the Supermarket recycles the old one.

Incidentally I'd recommend unused Bridgedale socks for lenses - numerous thicknesses are available depending on the degree of protection (hiking, running, walking, etc) and they tend not to shed bits of fluff like cheaper socks can.

I liked the idea of bag for life. :)

As for lens protection, I have found soft lens pouches (I use Zing) to be very effective, and I just found out that they are cheaper than Bridgedale socks. That's why it is either "used socks" or lens pouch for me. :)

I should confess that I did buy Billingham pola but never used it. I simply drop my M in neoprene cover along with my Zing pouches in any bag that I am carrying. Office laptop bag, hiking backpack, grocery bag, any bag. I have even dropped my lens pouch in my wife's purse when she is not watching. :)

M is all about freedom. I feel even better when I am with my Canikon friends carrying overstuffed specialized camera backpack. They also don't feel bad.... They think they are better photographers and I think I am smarter. We all are happy. :)

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 1

It's like every other Billingham Hadley Pro I've ever seen. Every owner is at risk of the same experience. I hope when it happens to others they don't have a few K of expensive gear in it.

The only fault would be to assume that the Billingham bags are waterproof  - the fabric is great, the structure leaves things to be desired - in anything but a light shower.

Nonsense.  My packed bag never looks remotely close to your pic; the top flap is always secure, with a wide overlap, when closed.  Not only that, but I'm smart enough to only carry the bag by the shoulder strap in bad weather, not the top handle.  The strap hugs the flap and further prevents slippage.  

The only way for water to enter is through the fabric and, if that was common, you wouldn't have so many reporting a contrary experience, and Billingham would have a different reputation.  Sure, nothing is perfect, but your experience is unusual from everything I've read or experienced.

I have no vested interest in Billingham. There are loads of bag options for everyone to suit myriad needs and tastes.  Whatever works.  But your conclusions don't mesh with your pics.

In any case, I always have comprehensive insurance to cover every situation the warranty doesn't, including my own negligence.   To not have that is even sillier than walking in a downpour with an open bag flap.

Jeff

I have a a whole wardrobe dedicated to camera bags - there is no such thing as a perfect bag or even one bag for one person for life.

Needs for bags change overtime hence all those bag threads on photo related forums.

I have been through camera specific neoprene bags and hated them (the usual Think Tank / LowePro stuff).

I have gone through several A&A bags - I like their design a lot, very inconspicuous and understated.

I like their Canvas material (very soft and nice to wear) and their leather applications (nice soft leather).

They do have one significant flaw though - if used a lot, these wear fast, mine developed holes, fissures and busted shoulder pads - these are NOT long life bags.

Billingham bags are great, very strong, long life bags. I don't like their design and only use their all black models (currently one of the largest sizes as a delay office and travel hauler).

They are tough, hold very long but are also heavier and stiffer than other canvas bags.

One of my favorites for comfort, capacity and organization is a Chinese Domke knockoff I bought by impulse and it turned out to become a great user bag I shoot SLRs out of (it is a knockoff from the largest Domke model with side pockets.

I have compared this bag in camera shops to the real deal and down to the stitching it indeed is a 1:1 knockoff (surprisingly of great quality too).

Once this is worn out I definitely give the Domke equivalent a buy - mine is green drab, but I'd much rather get a black canvas Domke next. For a reason these Domke bags have had a following of the past decades.

I have tried and used a plethora of other bags, mostly technical messenger bags (Ortliebs, NorthFace, ThinkTanks, …) and have used diverse camera inserts to make them better usable for camera gear.

Here is a bag I have had for years sitting forgotten in the liner of an old suitcase. I brought it from some trip years ago and only a few days ago started to repurpose it as a camera bag.

It is a waxed canvas Barbour messenger bag, nicely made (except the leather straps which I will have to have changed some time).

I use a Billingham insert currently and it's passable:

22817800043_c50fa0d744_o.jpgLeica M8.2 two lens kit by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

Here is what I use currently when riding a bicycle - a Camelbak H.A.W.G. backpack. I use a short Think Tank camera insert in the large compartment and it easily holds either two M bodies with two extra lenses (total 4), batteries and daily stuff as wallet, mobile, keys, notepad, … + a rain jacket) or you can haul a medium format camera with one extra lens and film/ accessories - you could also easily fix a Gitzo traveller or a monopod outside. It's 3 liter bladder is removable should you not want to haul water and the bladder compartment and payload compartment are separated, so cameras seem save enough from water damage (make sure to seal the water drain holes in the bottom, as standing ground water kicked up by the rear wheel WILL enter the backpack through these two drain holes):

21758712681_279a66e59d_o.jpgwhat's in my bag by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

As for lens protection, I have found soft lens pouches (I use Zing) to be very effective, and I just found out that they are cheaper than Bridgedale socks. That's why it is either "used socks" or lens pouch for me. :)

Our nearest Cotswold had some Deuter neoprene pouches on offer the other day £2 instead of £12 and I have to admit to buying the last 3. For smaller lenses they are great and they hold batteries, cards or the charger too. Old CCS case for the camera (no longer made but superb protection - bit small for anything over 50mm so I could do with a longer one but their 'coding/naming' system is impossible) and more discounted pouches for longer lenses and all popped into my rucksack. As the rucksack doesn't look new, has a very battered and paint deficient Sigg bottle in one pocket and is starting to fray it doesn't look like its got much of value in it which is all to the better. To pad the cameras there are waterproofs and dry bags in the bottom so I'm pretty well set up I reckon.

I can't quite bring myself to part with the Billingham but its rarely used these days and when I do its usually got a laptop stuffed into it rather than cameras. One day I ought to bite the bullet and clear it out I suppose :mellow: .

So there we have it - two different and equally valid experiences of the same bag. All I'll say is that the bag in discussion isn't suffering a one off fault. It's like every other Billingham Hadley Pro I've ever seen. Every owner is at risk of the same experience. I hope when it happens to others they don't have a few K of expensive gear in it.

I think this is funny.  We can keep going and forth.  You made a mistake with your bag.  Bad bag bad bag!  The straps need to be adjusted so when closed it can't lift off.  It's either that or was over stuffed.  I dunno but your photo proved nothing.  Go pick a fight with Billingham.  Not fair to blame them here.

I guess any of use could arrange our Hadley-Pro's to look like this for a snap, but this is nothing like the bag looks in proper usage, where the flap overlaps the sides. That is why it has pinch pleats. As has been said, significant user error, but even then it is difficult to believe it let in the amount of rain suggested. The bag also looks very new after getting that wet.

Edited by pedaes