Shoulder bag recommendations

PaulJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 M's w/lenses (except 135's or 90 Cron) fit in a Hadley small vertically.

If you mean cameras orientated vertically then yes but not with a divider to adequately protect them from each other.

If you mean vertically as in one on top of the other then that's what I do now and its a pain.

I have used a Billingham Hadley Pro for 12 years and can recommend this bag without reservation. 

I have looked long and hard at Fogg satchels; they are very pleasing to the eye, but I can't see the wisdom in spending $500 over and above the price of a Bill Had Pro for a bag of similar size and capacity; I can't figure how they are $500 better than Billingham bags.

YMMV.

Edited by Carlos Danger

If you mean cameras orientated vertically then yes but not with a divider to adequately protect them from each other.

If you mean vertically as in one on top of the other then that's what I do now and its a pain.

I mean vertically as in with the viewfinder end down so I can grab them by the shutter-release end.  

I place them back to back with the standard divider between them.   It is about 3/8" thick closed-cell foam covered in green felt material.

It has protected mine from rubbing/bumping each other for many years.  I can't even imagine the kind of abuse or force it would take for that divider to be inadequate to the task.

Bag question:  Which bag would you suggest to improve my pictures?  I would like to carry a messenger bag type bag that would allow me to carry a bunch of expensive gear without being detected.  I want to be discreet, but I also want to have a sort of fashion vibe.  My only requirement is that the bag must have an exclusive name brand like Fogg, Hadley, Billingham or Louis Vuitton.  I believe these sort of bags would help my photography.

Also, which bag would your suggest if I want to shoot the new  28mm Summilux - something really special please.

Rick

I understand why talk of bags is an endless source of amusement to you; it's not so clear why pockets and a backpack are immune from satire.

• Like 1

Just noticed this thread.  I see the originator already bought the Ona Bowery.  Well, for what it's worth, own one, I found that bag tight for my M and one lens, if I wanted to carry anything else like a phone or bill fold.  The outside pockets, useless.  I also have tried the Ona Berlin ii.  It's nice but HEAVY!  I always return to my Billingham bags.  They just simply 'work'.  They aren't stylish but my cameras don't care, and neither do I, and they last forever with normal wear and tear.  My small is about 15 years old and just about to replace the leather pocket straps.  Rest of the bag is new looking.

I mean vertically as in with the viewfinder end down so I can grab them by the shutter-release end.  

I place them back to back with the standard divider between them.   It is about 3/8" thick closed-cell foam covered in green felt material.

It has protected mine from rubbing/bumping each other for many years.  I can't even imagine the kind of abuse or force it would take for that divider to be inadequate to the task.

I bought mine second hand and it didn't come with a divider unfortunately.

My other dividers are thicker. I think I could make them fit with the lenses pointing outwards if I had a thinner divider.

Edit : Removed lens hoods and they just about fit.

Edited by PaulJohn

Bag question:  Which bag would you suggest to improve my pictures?  I would like to carry a messenger bag type bag that would allow me to carry a bunch of expensive gear without being detected.  I want to be discreet, but I also want to have a sort of fashion vibe.  My only requirement is that the bag must have an exclusive name brand like Fogg, Hadley, Billingham or Louis Vuitton.  I believe these sort of bags would help my photography.

Also, which bag would your suggest if I want to shoot the new  28mm Summilux - something really special please.

Rick

Why are you making fun someone enjoying a hobby and having a camera bag that fits into a lifestyle of how they take photographs - which may include other activities on the same day you take photos....That's the need not to improve one's photography.   I happen to also own a strap for my camera, that doesn't directly impact my photography but i still want one to be comfortable. Why don't you see accessories in this light.   i'm curious if you have a neck or wrist strap? if so why, if not why not ?

Whilst I completely agree with your point... I quite like Rick's amusing little posts midway through what can sometimes be a fairly over-serious discussion about the merits or not of various bags.

In fact, I only really open the threads to see what acerbic or humorous little comment Rick may have made... and if its not there... I'm disappointed  :p

• Like 3

Why are you making fun someone enjoying a hobby and having a camera bag that fits into a lifestyle of how they take photographs - which may include other activities on the same day you take photos....

Good point. A common problem is having just the right bag for all day. For example, a person might want one of high utility, then also one classy enough to look good walking through a men's district. I am surprised not to find reversibles, say a fine burgundy leather reversible to a macho worn olive drab canvas. It would work through two different districts!

As for straps: wear 'em on the inside.

• Like 3

I can only explain that it tickles me that camera bag discussions are so serious and the answers are often so complexly crafted.  Apparently, a lot of thought, energy and money goes into finding just the right bag!  I really have no malice towards anyone or any bag.  Just, amusement.

@rsolomon:  I do have a backpack that I carry-on and I enjoy that it is just so for my Mackbook Air, camera and lenses and it has additional pockets for passport and personal items.  So, I do get it.  I never carry it when shooting.  I also have a Luigi strap for my M from my early days when I forayed into the indulgences of Italian artisan half-cases(M8 era).  I have a beautiful snub-nose Luigi never-ready case from my M8, and a second half-case that doesn't fit my M.  I did like the snub nose ever-ready Luigi for protection inside the backpack when traveling... never shot with it.

Have fun and carry on :),

Rick

• Like 1

I'm reminded of decades ago living in the High Plains Deserts of New Mexico where we had real cowboys. It wasn't like the stereotype. For being seen in town, those boys spent outrageous attention and money for just the right boots, pearl-snap shirts, tailored levis, kid-skin vests, the ideal holster (they all knew a genuine Cold 45 long Colt ruled), and to my amazement burst into tears at the drop of a hat (but what a great hat!). Maybe Leica should enter the country/western paradigm.

Edited by pico

Bocaburger, Ive just discovered that my small Hadley is not the 'Hadley Small' but the 'Hadley Digital'.

Rick, one of my cameras is analogue. Please advise. 

That is a quandary.  Let me get this straight, you have a digital Hadley that you are using for an analog M?  

I have four analogue Leica cameras and none of them have bags.  If they did, it would probably be a Hadley bag.  Two of them do have classic Leica letter cases,  but no bags.  Sorry, no suggestions here... but, I do know this one bag site.   ;)

Rick

• Like 1

Looking for a bag to carry two rangefinders - my M240 and M4 side by side in separate compartments with top access. I am using a small hadley but that takes one on top of the other which is not ideal.

Does anyone know if the ONA Bowery bag fits 2 rangefinders with lenses attached (50 & 35 summicrons).

Thanks.

Paul

I have used a Filson "Camera Field Bag" for about a year. It's great for two rangefinders, plus a few extra lenses. http://www.filson.com/luggage-bags/photography/camera-field-bag.html

Bocaburger, Ive just discovered that my small Hadley is not the 'Hadley Small' but the 'Hadley Digital'.

Rick, one of my cameras is analogue. Please advise. 

I think you need a much fancier bag for your analogue camera than for a film camera.

Jeff

• Like 1

:D

Just as I was beginning to realise I am clearly taking one or two idiotic comments on here just a little too seriously today, I see your comment above.

Sanity returns... along with my sense of humour.

Thank you Jeff.

Seems between the two of you, Rick and you are keeping me sane with your bag comments. Thanks... 

Never let it be said that bag threads are a waste of bandwidth... sometimes they are the most important threads of all...  ;)

• Like 1