Recommended L Plate for Leica SL

glent

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I screwed up. I just bought the base plate and now the L part is on back order.........I will wait and get the L bit as well

There website sys out of stock.........I decided to order it anyway and 1 hour after ordering I got an email with shipping details.......SWEET

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, I've been wanting to have a new base plate on my Leica SL, only to allow to enable use of a hand grip instead of the neck strap. However, I do not want or need the extra battery or incremental bulk. Do you know of any base plate, similar to the RRS L bracket but just with an additional hole on the right side (shutter side) to allow to setup a hand grip? Thanks SO much. 

Guys, I've been wanting to have a new base plate on my Leica SL, only to allow to enable use of a hand grip instead of the neck strap. However, I do not want or need the extra battery or incremental bulk. Do you know of any base plate, similar to the RRS L bracket but just with an additional hole on the right side (shutter side) to allow to setup a hand grip? Thanks SO much. 

Hello Martin,

the RRS L-Bracket's plate actually HAS a ring for that purpose, it looks exactly the same as the original Leica SL's one on top of the camera. Hope this helps, best

Vieri

Picture

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It also lets you carry the SL in the same vertical position using a camera a strap; puts the SL in a better position to make a quick, grab,  point and shoot.

As far as I know, the RRS L plate SL is the only one that can be used with a hands trap without covering the battery.

Most useful.

See my avatar.

Picture

I recently purchased the RSS  BSL Base Plate.   In addition to using it with my RSS Heads/Plates, what I Really like about it is the ability to hang the SL vertically, slinging it over your shoulder, with the grip set right off your hip.  

32155908836_68840d85a3_z.jpg

2017-01-08_001-001 by Marc Tauber, on Flickr

• 6 months later...

What did you gain by the replacing the leather part of the motor drive's hand strap with that of 14406? If I recall the motor drive's hand strap is wider than that of of 14406 and hence should help distribute the camera's weight more evenly? Thanks.

It is a mix of two Leica parts.

The nylon fabric part of the hand strap taken from Leica R8 Motor-Drive upgraded with the nappa leather part of the Leica wrist strap #14406

Funnily enough I've just posted on the M forum about my L bracket experience... I sold my M and got the SL, and the ProMediaGear Universal L bracket also works superbly on the SL (I sold my M for the SL).  Just an other perspective/experience:

"I've used the RRS L bracket (for my M9) and the Arca Swiss Universal L bracket; I backpack and weight is important to me, as is quality.  I can't recommend one of these from ProMediaGear enough:

http://www.promediag...ersal_c_22.html

I have the 3" version.  

One real advantage, apart from price and weight, is that it stores the allen key within the bracket, which is a great feature, espacially if you are like me and lose stuff...

So, for cost, quality, weight, adaptability and practicability I can't recommend this enough.  I sold my Arca Swiss Universal L bracket; and I won't do RSS simply because you have to change bracket with each new camera.  

Oh yes, and I too had problems with RSS - their ball-head with 'Arca Swiss compatible' lever clamp did not take the Arca Swiss bracket - it wouldn't close enough to clamp, which was a major disappointment for such an expensive item, and their customer service wasn't particularly helpful either.  So Peter Wright above mirrors my experience."

Pete 

Thanks for your advice. I often take the backpack, and size/weight is of importance to me.

I'm looking for a lightweight L-bracket as well, for pano shootings, with the 24-90mm SL zoom. The plate must be centred and safe against twisting. What is your experience with promedia gear?

Thank's

Martin

Edited by saxo

What did you gain by the replacing the leather part of the motor drive's hand strap with that of 14406? If I recall the motor drive's hand strap is wider than that of of 14406 and hence should help distribute the camera's weight more evenly? Thanks.

To large and cumbersome IMO. It was turning on itself.

Anyway the weight was not distributed by the original leather part. You felt only the weight were the nylon strap was under the leather.

• Like 1

I am using the B9 plate from Really Right Stuff on the SL.

It is not a L Plate, but it has an anti-twist flange and bi-diretional dovetails.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/B9-Multi-use-bidirectional-plate

I have 2 B 9 Really Right stuff plates which have been on my 240's before my SL's. The size is perfect.

• 1 month later...

I second this, RRS makes awesome plates which fit well and strong. Never feel like I’m going to loose my camera when attached to tripod or monopod.

+1. RSS makes solid products, indeed. Expensive, but rock solid.

• 5 years later...

Realise that this is an epic thread revival ....... :)

I'm after the RRS plate for the SL which is now discontinued - but wonder if one of the posters here has upgraded to the SL2 and perhaps has the SL bracket on a shelf gathering dust ....

Long shot I know 

Simon