Flash options for the Q

As far as I am aware, you'll be looking at full manual if you don't use the SF26. At that point there are actually quite a few options, if you want something small and inexpensive then maybe the Olympus T32. If you want something more modern then perhaps the Fuji EF-X20?

I don't believe I want to go manual with a flash.  The reason I asked is because Ming Thein (I greatly respect his opinion's) in his review of the Q stated "There is no flash, but a TTL hotshoe compatible with Leica’s own flashes – and third party ones."  That got me wondering if there are other options.

• Like 1

I've been using my Metz 45Cl 4 digital with the appropriate Leica SCA adapter quite successfully as a TTL flash. I grant that being bigger than the Q it seems a little like overkill, but with the Q on autofocus, left hand holding the flash and right hand operating the camera it is not too awkward. It is a very versatile flashgun.

I don't see why any Metz SCA flash with the the correct adapter wouldn't work. But they might also be more expensive than you prefer.

Tim

Edited by Tim B

Based on the OP's question I thought he wanted something small and with native TTL support, as far as I know that means only the SF26? I'm planning on just getting an EF-X20 and going manual as the price of the SF26 is pretty crazy when it's just a rebranded flash hacked to be compatible with the Q :(

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For more power, you might consider the Olympus/Panasonic version of the Nissin i40. It won't TTL with the Q, but it will with the D-Lux series.

It has two large dials at the back, allowing for easy manual use. It is small and has a tiltable head etc. Takes AA Size batteries.

http://www.nissindigital.com/i40.html

I had the Fuji EF-X20 in the past. It looks cool and it is of course smaller. However, it has half the power and uses AAA batteries. 

I bought the Nissin because I bought a Panasonic GX8 camera to use with the Q. The GX8 is an MFT system camera and uses the same batteries as the Q. Makes a convenient travel kit.

The GX8 despite having a much smaller sensor will cover "all other focal length".

I have an older SF24D. I can't get TTL to work but auto and manual are fine.

I've paired this with a FlashQ wireless trigger / reciever and have the flash mounted, off camera, on a polaroid pistol grip/table tripod.

It works great one handed and the FlashQ syncs perfectly. It's also a small, compact and portable setup.

• 2 weeks later...

No, it will just provide the TTL function with the panaleicas.

I see now that they have a Metz where they state Leica, will it work with Q?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1100043-REG/metz_mz_2631293opl_mecablitz_26af_1_digital_flash.html/prm/alsVwDtl

On my asking directly to Metz, received following replay.

"Please be informed that there are 2 completely different Leica flash control systems which are absolutely not compatible to each other.

For Leica digital cameras of M series, T series, X series and also the new Q series only the Leica branded flash unit 'Leica SF-26' is compatible.

The Metz branded version of mecablitz 26 AF-1 digital (Olympus / Panasonic / Leica version) is NOT compatible with the new digital camera Leica Q."

• 6 months later...

I rarely use flash.  I have used my Canon flash in manual mode at 1/16th power...

Finding an inexpensive flash for the Q is very frustrating  --  Will older Leica flash units work?  I see several on ebay:

SF20 TTL

SF 24D

Anyone using these?

Thank you!  Merci!  Danke!

• 1 year later...

I see now that they have a Metz where they state Leica, will it work with Q?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1100043-REG/metz_mz_2631293opl_mecablitz_26af_1_digital_flash.html/prm/alsVwDtl

No, it won't!

Leica manipulates the connection pins to hotshoe and sells the flash 3 times more!.... I ordered the Metz version for CL that has the same hotshoe as Q, and it didn't work!

When the Metz flashes mention Leica, they mean the Panasonic cameras with the red dot!... Nothing to do with the "real" Leica!