3rd party lens performance on SL

Winedemonium

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i was thinking about to sell my Zeiss Planar 60mm Macro 60mm f2.8 Y/C. Instead of selling i bought an adapter (Novoflex)..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by BlackDoc
  • Like 13

Cyclamen from above - Canon 180 mm Macro plus Kenko 1,4 extender.

• Like 5

SL with Pentax  Tele 150-450 at 450mm (Novoflex adapted) 

Edited by BlackDoc
  • Like 12

Strelitzia - ready for take off. With Canon Macro 180 mm.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, grahamhoey said:

I just bought the Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 for use on my SL with the Leica m to t adapter. I notice at infinity it is not focused. Slightly back from infinity on the focus ring it does focus to infinity fine. Is this normal or a problem with the lens I have. The lens is brand new. 

Nothing to worry about. My experience is that all lenses need to be manually focussed at infinity, particularly adopted lenses. Actually, adapters are typically made to ensure focus a little past infinity, since the other alternative is a bad one... 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, grahamhoey said:

There were posts from 2 years ago where adjustments had been made to the adapter to focus at infinity at the stop of the focus ring. Does anyone know where that can be done. 

yes ..... it was me..... after a day spent out walking in the country using the T with a 50/2 with the lens set manually on infinity ...... naively assuming it would be focussed at infinity .... and was annoyed when all the images were OOF.

It is apparently common practice to make adapters so there is some leeway for variations in lenses .... with the result that the adapters are always slightly shorter than the 'perfect' length. Infinity is invariably before the manual stop on the lens. 

In the case of the TL/M adapter this is about 0.09mm. You can unscrew the flange of the adapter and add shims ...... I found my spare LCD screen protector was about the right thickness and just cut some pieces to the right shape - ensuring they were evenly spaced so there was no potential tilt when re-assembled. It worked perfectly for all my M lenses except my 75/2 and eventually replaced the shims with similar material which was marginally thinner which sorted it for everything. 

As I have a full complement of TL and SL lenses and a CL and SL I have sold all my M bodies and most of my M lenses so the adapter is rarely used. 

It's a simple non-destructive reversible fix for anyone who finds the 'imperfection' a nuisance. ;)

Edited by thighslapper

4 hours ago, thighslapper said:

yes ..... it was me..... after a day spent out walking in the country using the T with a 50/2 with the lens set manually on infinity ...... naively assuming it would be focussed at infinity .... and was annoyed when all the images were OOF.

It is apparently common practice to make adapters so there is some leeway for variations in lenses .... with the result that the adapters are always slightly shorter than the 'perfect' length. Infinity is invariably before the manual stop on the lens. 

In the case of the TL/M adapter this is about 0.09mm. You can unscrew the front flange of the adapter and shims ...... I found my spare LCD screen protector was about the right thickness and just cut some pieces to the right shape - ensuring they were evenly spaced so there was no potential tilt when re-assembled. It worked perfectly for all my M lenses except my 75/2 and eventually replaced the shims with similar material which was marginally thinner which sorted it for everything. 

As I have a full complement of TL and SL lenses and a CL and SL I have sold all my M bodies and most of my M lenses so the adapter is rarely used. 

It's a simple non-destructive reversible fix for anyone who finds the 'imperfection' a nuisance. ;)

Thank you, I do find it a nuisance when taking night shots which was a major reason why I bought such a fast lens.

2 hours ago, BernardC said:

Given your location, I would suggest Canadian Camera in Ottawa. Bring the lens, camera, and adapter. It's usually easy to adjust the infinity position on a manual focus lens.

Great suggestion I forgot about that store. They fixed a film camera for me many years ago that I had managed to get sand in. Much appreciated.

20 hours ago, BernardC said:

Given your location, I would suggest Canadian Camera in Ottawa. Bring the lens, camera, and adapter. It's usually easy to adjust the infinity position on a manual focus lens.

My adapter and camera went back to Leica as I was originally unhappy and they confirmed it was exactly to their manufacturing tolerances.

I would strongly advice NOT adjusting the lens to suit ..... it will then be unusable without the adapter on any other camera. 

Adjust the adapter if it bothers you ..... it is easy and reversible. 

3 hours ago, thighslapper said:

My adapter and camera went back to Leica as I was originally unhappy and they confirmed it was exactly to their manufacturing tolerances.

I would strongly advice NOT adjusting the lens to suit ..... it will then be unusable without the adapter on any other camera. 

Adjust the adapter if it bothers you ..... it is easy and reversible. 

Thank you for the advice, understood. 

Interesting result. I just received from B and H the Novoflex M to T adapter. I now have both the Leica adapter, and the Novoflex adapter which as you know is quite a bit cheaper than the Leica version. The Novoflex adapter doesn't permit focus magnification it appears (please correct me if I am wrong) but does focus perfectly at infinity unlike the Leica adapter. This is both with the Voitglander 40mm lens noted above as well an older Tele-Elmar 135mm f4 lens that I have had for years.

34 minutes ago, grahamhoey said:

Interesting result. I just received from B and H the Novoflex M to T adapter. I now have both the Leica adapter, and the Novoflex adapter which as you know is quite a bit cheaper than the Leica version. The Novoflex adapter doesn't permit focus magnification it appears (please correct me if I am wrong) but does focus perfectly at infinity unlike the Leica adapter. This is both with the Voitglander 40mm lens noted above as well an older Tele-Elmar 135mm f4 lens that I have had for years.

You get focus magnification by (repeated) pressing the lower, left button on the back of the SL. The focus point can be moved across the image by the joystick. 

Test of contrast against highlight of the Mamiya 300mm f2.8 APO 645 (medium format lens) + Mamiya 2x N converter + Leica S-adapter M645 + Leica S-adapter L.

Edited by helged
  • Like 3

Another test shot of the above setup. Distance is about 700 m.

Edited by helged
  • Like 3

• jaapv unpinned this topic