3rd party lens performance on SL

Winedemonium

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'd like some advice please, and this thread seems the logical place for it, rather than starting a new thread. The matter was discussed briefly in the Post Your SL Images thread, but it seems more at home here.

New to me SL, and I have no SL/TL lenses. Using a 7 Artisans 50mm, via the genuine M-Adadpter-T, and all is good, the camera asks me if it is a Noctilux, and I say yes, mainly as it is as close to a Noctilux i'll get. LR shows 50mm. (lens will not fully work with the SL though, it's going back to them).

The other lenses I have are a small collection of R lenses. These I attach via an adapter from e bay, not the genuine R-Adapter SL. I go to the appropriate menu, select the lens, and shoot. Nothing is shown in LR.

Is the transmission of lens focal length solely from the adapter, via the 6-bit coding?  My "dumb" adapter does not have the 6-bit contacts, obviously. I'd have thought that selecting it manually within the camera menu would cause this lens info to be "attached" to the file?

Any insight appreciated?
Gary

Unfortunately Leica wants you to buy the R-L adapter (or at least the M-L + Leica or Novoflex M-R), so if you use a "dumb" adapter no on-camera profile can be selected (=it can be selected but then it has no effect, as you have seen...)

If you don't want to pay 700€ for the R-adapter-L, as you already have the M-L (or M-T, I think it's the same) adapter I suggest to buy the Novoflex M-R adapter: it's fairly cheap by Leica standards (around 100-150€), it's very well built and it's manifactured under Leica license, so when you put it in front of the M-adapter-L, it will be seen by the camera as a "legitimate" M-R adapter, thus allowing you to effectively select the R lenses list on the menu.

For the records, with the R-L and ROM R-lenses the profile selection is fully automatic (no menu recall is required)

Hope this helps

S.

Edited by Steve McGarrett
  • Like 1

Steve,

Merci beaucoup, exactly what I didn't want to hear, but exactly what I was asking.

Greatly appreciated. I will consider now the R - M style, double stacked.

Having the focal length is not a major, but it is handy after the event for sure.

Gary

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Rock ptarmigan (Lagopus muta) with its characteristic white winter plumage. SL + Nikon 300mm f4E FP at f4.

I have been looking for the winter dressed ptarmigans for years, with mixed (read: without) success so far... But I had the feeling that the last weekend's skiing trip could change that. So I packed the relatively small and light-weight Nikon 300mm fresnel lens - just in case - in addition to the very versatile SL+24-90 combo. And correctly, in the early morning hour, well before human activities, a flock of ptarmigan visited the outskirt of the mountain village. Far from a rare event, but a great and warming moment. Certainly, I would preferred to have the 90-280mm ready, but it's hard to beat the fresnel lens when size and weight are of concern.

(Could we hope for a longish SL-lens, sometime?)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by helged
  • Like 6

Entranced by some landscapes using the Voigtlander 15mm III on the SL, I bought one. I don't think I got a great copy, as the results from the 11-23 on a TL2 were MUCH sharper in the corners at every f-stop. Yes, it's 15mm vs. 16.5 (equivalent), but still. I can't wait to see how the native 16-35 performs on the SL....

Matt (who has never had a landscape ruined by unsharp corners, so I don't know why I care...  B) )

Possibly a bad copy then as you elude Matt, as there are plenty of shots by Vieri and his CV15mm.

I had a V2 on my T a while back, it worked well, but in the end the 23mm got more use, it just seemed "better", AF and AE being the bigger reason perhaps.

Gary

Gary,

Oh, quite possibly a bad copy, and it is, indeed, Vieri's work that makes me consider the SL for landscape work. But I returned it in any event.

I wish my S-24 cleaned up in the corners as well as Vieri's copy did!

Best,

Matt

"S-24" as in the lens made for the S cameras?

I have been using an Elmarit R 24mm, different league, price-point I know, but it is what I have.

If funds allowed I was thinking a Zeiss 25mm perhaps.

Gary

Canon Macro 180 mm on the SL - a good performer. AF is working, provided there is contrast and structure enough But not as quick as with the 90/280.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

The Canon Macro 180 mm was adapted with the Novoflex adapter for Canon EF on the SL. The AF is working

with it. But this is not the case with every EF lens. There exists a thread concerning this adapter and with which lenses it works in the english part of this forum.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/269686-novoflex-canon-ef-lens-to-leica-sl-adapter-list-of-compatibletested-lenses/

But the best function with the SL is by using the native lenses. That was tejh reason why I sold

my very good Canon 70/200 2.8 L IS II USM after one year, when I had the SL. This worked good together

with the SL with excellent pcture quality and reasonable quick AF. But the 90/280 is considerable

quicker.

Edited by HeinzX
  • Like 1

I haven’t searched the forum yet thoroughly so possibly there have been posts earlier on the performance of Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-R Wetzlar lens on the SL. I have an opportunity to acquire one made in 1972 and wonder if anyone has any experience and Impressions using it on the SL. Thank you.

Hello,

been happily using the 50 summilux R e55 (sliding hood sn post 1976)  on the SL and shared some shots here :

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/268173-the-view-through-older-glass/?p=3405956

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/268173-the-view-through-older-glass/?p=3417954

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/268173-the-view-through-older-glass/?p=3419388

A 1972 version should fare similarly : https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/50mm_f/1.4_Summilux-R_I

Cheers, JM.

Edited by JMF

Did test the 16 Zeiss Hologon on the SL 

29709171892_f07815b85e_b.jpg

Expo Josef Sudek - Paris by JM__, on Flickr

29709171922_b29aafa711_b.jpg

Expo Josef Sudek - Paris by JM__, on Flickr

29759996391_ab5e8f3707_b.jpg

Josef Sudek exhibition, going in ! by JM__, on Flickr

yet my M adapted 16 f8 Hologon lens was badly collimated and I could only shoot at normal focusing distances, no infinity .

Edited by JMF

• jaapv unpinned this topic