3rd party lens performance on SL

Winedemonium

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Interesting ..... so Nikon E data is transferred but any other non E (ie Sigma) lens data isn't ..... which I suppose is logical unless sigma or others use an identical arrangement of the exif data wherever it is stored in the lens firmware. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

SL/ Canon 85/1.5 c.1955 ... 1/2000 f2 ISO 200    Natural light through a large shrub … plus Lastolite reflector to the RHS of camera 

cont'd … 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 3

SL / Canon 85/1.5  c.1955  f2   Natural light plus Lastolite reflector 

cont'd ...

SL / Canon 85/1.5 c1955  f5.6   Natural light plus Lastolite reflector 

Thank you to Leica Forum member Tony W for agreeing to sit for the portraits in his garden.  

dunk 

• Like 3

attachicon.giff5.6 T-Winkless-Canon-85mm1.5-experiment-with-SL_2017-08-29_RSLF-1280.jpg

SL / Canon 85/1.5 c1955  f5.6   Natural light plus Lastolite reflector 

Thank you to Leica Forum member Tony W for agreeing to sit for the portraits in his garden.  

dunk 

There's such a big difference between those two shots and yet I imagine they were taken only moments apart. I'm guessing that in between the first and the second the sun went behind a cloud. I much prefer the second; the first is very harsh in contrast whereas the second is very relaxed.

The Sun was partially diffused by cloud in the second of the two similar images … and the lens was stopped down for the second shot.

Considering the lens is c.62 years young it coped with lighting quite well … and the well designed lens hood helped. 

dunk 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Attached are 3 pics I took last week in the Hoh rain forest, Olympic National Park, WA, with my SL and a Canon 17 TS-E (using shifting and tilting). Worked great with Novaflex CAN ICES-3 adapter, with full manual control of aperture (manual focus, of course).

Regards,

Bob

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

As my Nikon 300mm PF is the only non-Leica lens I own, and already having the underperforming Novoflex SL/NIK, I didn't want to buy a second Novoflex adapter just to be able to use the lens on my TL2.

So I took the adapter apart and carefully removed the camera-side contacts and their connector.  As expected, it now works perfectly with the TL2.

Today I tried it with the SL, and got a really nice surprise:  gone are the weird shutter sound, long wake-up time, and shortened battery life.  Without the Novoflex electronics to contend with, the SL reverts to being a nimble, formidable tool for manual focus shooting.

SL with Nikon 300mm PF via gutted Novoflex SL/NIK, cropped at about 50% . . . 

• Like 12

Another one with the SL and 300PF . . . 

• Like 12

As my Nikon 300mm PF is the only non-Leica lens I own, and already having the underperforming Novoflex SL/NIK, I didn't want to buy a second Novoflex adapter just to be able to use the lens on my TL2.

So I took the adapter apart and carefully removed the camera-side contacts and their connector.  As expected, it now works perfectly with the TL2.

Today I tried it with the SL, and got a really nice surprise:  gone are the weird shutter sound, long wake-up time, and shortened battery life.  Without the Novoflex electronics to contend with, the SL reverts to being a nimble, formidable tool for manual focus shooting.

attachicon.gifhbtsb.jpg

Nice images!

And thumbs up for the smallish, light Nikon 300mm PF! It also works very well with the Nikon 1.4x converter (as well as with the 1.7x and 2.0x converters, but the 1.4x is 'best', performance wise, based on my use during the past 1+ year).

• Like 1

attachicon.gifhbtsb.jpg

So, auto focus is gone, good riddance I say. What about aperture control?

So, auto focus is gone, good riddance I say. What about aperture control?

No aperture control, no lens FL in exif but the SL still guesses the aperture; no worries for me as the lens produces great results wide open and most of the critters I shoot don't come close enough for DOF to be a concern.  The SL's focus aids and the short focus throw of the lens make MF a pleasure.

• Like 1

SL with Nikon 300PF + 1.7X teleconverter . . . ~510mm AOV on full frame; an eminently hand-holdable setup, weighing in at just a hair over 2kg (2039 grams).

• Like 6

Another one with the above setup . . . 

• Like 2

Wolverine climbing a tree. SL + Nikon 400 f2.8E at f2.8, 1/500 s, 400 ISO (and using a manual Novoflex adapter).

The photo is taken from a shelter in Finland, close to the boarder of Russia. The animal is wild, but it is attracted by bait in the vicinity of the shelter. This incident happened the first out of three evenings/nights in the shelter. The light was superb, with the low evening sun behind the wolverine.

Very late in the evening, long after the sun was gone - and also throughout the night and in the early morning hours - three brown bears shoved up, rummaging around the shelter. At least one of the bears was just meters from the shelter, so limited sleep that night... During the time of the bear visit, the light was far too low for the SL, but the Nikon D5 with ISO from 20.000 to 100.000, and the 400 mm at f2.8, did the job.

Edited by helged
  • Like 9

SL with Zeiss C-Sonnar 50mm/1.5

Moldova, St. Nicholas cave Church in Orheiul Vechi

• Like 14

SL with Nikon 300PF + TC-17E II . . .

A Barn Swallow trying to look inconspicuous among a group of Pacific Swallows . . . 

Edited by tritentrue
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Using M lenses on my SL with great success.  I also use from time-to-time, Canon lenses on my SL, sandwiching the Leica M-Adapter T, with a Fotodiox EOS-L/M adapter.  The Photodiox adapter has "Zero communications" with the SL body.  For certain applications, it's worked very well.  I just need to preset my aperture for a given scenario and any Canon lens will function as I need.   When I mount a Canon lens and turn on the SL, I am shown the NEW LENS screen, Unknown Lens.  I can hit OK, but what I usually have done is click on M-Lenses, and on the next screen I hit OFF.  HOWEVER, in the last few days, when I turn on the camera, this LENS PROFILES screen flips wildly between tri-elmar and back.  I try to bring up a live image to focus/compose an image and the flipping continues.  Remounting the lens, camera on-off-on again, removing battery etc.  nothing helps.  This problem is inconsistent.  Sometimes it doesn't happen for a few days.  This morning, I could not use a Canon lens for a shoot because the wild up-and-back flipping would not cease.  

What confuses me is, IF this Photodiox adapter is completely "dumb", why is the camera even detecting an unknown lens? I know the Leica M-Adapter T has electronic contacts, but they're not contacting anything on the Photodiox adapter.

Leica SL with Novoflex adaptor, SMC -FA Pentax 31mm f1.8

• Like 4

Leica SL with Novoflex adaptor, SMC -FA Pentax 31mm f1.8

• Like 4

• jaapv unpinned this topic