3rd party lens performance on SL

Winedemonium

Advertisement (gone after registration)

HOWEVER, in the last few days, when I turn on the camera, this LENS PROFILES screen flips wildly between tri-elmar and back.  I try to bring up a live image to focus/compose an image and the flipping continues.  Remounting the lens, camera on-off-on again, removing battery etc.  nothing helps.  This problem is inconsistent.  Sometimes it doesn't happen for a few days.  This morning, I could not use a Canon lens for a shoot because the wild up-and-back flipping would not cease.  

What confuses me is, IF this Photodiox adapter is completely "dumb", why is the camera even detecting an unknown lens? I know the Leica M-Adapter T has electronic contacts, but they're not contacting anything on the Photodiox adapter.

This is no doubt due to a whacky adapter.

Or the Leica M adapter does not sit well on the SL, or there is something wrong from the Diox to the M adapter.

Perhaps some screw or scratch on the Diox opposite the little code window throws the M adapter off course?

I had this with a cheapo m39 adapter with a Jupiter. 

• Like 1

Hi Everyone- Looking for some direction on a 35mm AF walk around lens for the SL. Has anyone tried the Canon 35mm f2 USM?  Novoflex appears to list it as compatible. Also I have read on this thread that some people have been able to use the Sigma 35mm f1.4 while others say AF doesn't work. Any light you could shed on this topic would be greatly appreciated. 

B&W negative (Nikon EM and Tri X 1980) taken with SL and Canon EF 100 2,8L macro

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Unfortunately Leica wants you to buy the R-L adapter (or at least the M-L + Leica or Novoflex M-R), so if you use a "dumb" adapter no on-camera profile can be selected (=it can be selected but then it has no effect, as you have seen...)

If you don't want to pay 700€ for the R-adapter-L, as you already have the M-L (or M-T, I think it's the same) adapter I suggest to buy the Novoflex M-R adapter: it's fairly cheap by Leica standards (around 100-150€), it's very well built and it's manifactured under Leica license, so when you put it in front of the M-adapter-L, it will be seen by the camera as a "legitimate" M-R adapter, thus allowing you to effectively select the R lenses list on the menu.

For the records, with the R-L and ROM R-lenses the profile selection is fully automatic (no menu recall is required)

Hope this helps

S.

Steve,

And others of course, but Steve was kind enough so point me in the right direction.

I have the "Leica M Adapter T #18771". I obtained an e bay Leica R to Leica M adapter, not the Novaflex one however. The adapter has a 6-bit pitting machined to the rear of it, none of the "pits" are coloured, yet.

With the previous system, the "dumb" adapter, I could access the menu and it gave me the options, "Auto, Off, M-Lenses, R-Lenses". Obviously however even if I stipulated the lens used, it didn't actually record this in the exif data.

So, I try the R to M adapter, in front of the M Adapter T.  It focuses etc, but now there is no provision within the menu system to stipulate the R lens used, the only menu items are "Auto, Off, M-Lenses". So, no R-Lenses option.

I even checked the image of the Novaflex adapter from the B&H site, it showed one of the pits blackened, and I tried this, to no avail.

Is there something magical but hidden within the Novaflex adapter, something that triggers the ability to stipulate the correct R lens, or am I chasing my own tail?

Gary

I even checked the image of the Novaflex adapter from the B&H site, it showed one of the pits blackened, and I tried this, to no avail.

Is there something magical but hidden within the Novaflex adapter, something that triggers the ability to stipulate the correct R lens, or am I chasing my own tail?

Gary

If you get the correct pit colored with a good black paint, it should work.  The paint identifies the adapter as an R to M adapter.  Just marking it with a black pen may not be dark enough.  I have a Novoflex with pits, painted, and it works.

If you get the correct pit colored with a good black paint, it should work.  The paint identifies the adapter as an R to M adapter.  Just marking it with a black pen may not be dark enough.  I have a Novoflex with pits, painted, and it works.

Thank you Scott.

Which pits? I coloured the third from the left one (only). Albeit not with black paint, but with a black Sharpie marker.

Gary

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you Scott.

Which pits? I coloured the third from the left one (only). Albeit not with black paint, but with a black Sharpie marker.

Gary

Gary,

Here's my stock Novoflex M-R adapter, look at the 6-bit code:

Hope this helps: I don't know if there is any other difference other than that.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

SL with Pentax 150-450mm at 450mm (Novoflex)

• Like 5

same setting as above....

• Like 10

and once again SL with Pentax 150-450mm at 450mm ISO 400 f5.6 1/250 (unfortunately pic through a tree, without tripod)

• Like 12

Hi Everyone- Looking for some direction on a 35mm AF walk around lens for the SL. Has anyone tried the Canon 35mm f2 USM?  Novoflex appears to list it as compatible. Also I have read on this thread that some people have been able to use the Sigma 35mm f1.4 while others say AF doesn't work. Any light you could shed on this topic would be greatly appreciated. 

I tried it today and it does not work. The Canon 35mm f1.4 version I works. Not sure about version 2.

This might only be a partial solution for you. When I had my SL, my M-Sumilux 35mm went down and I didn’t want to have to pay fees for a rental 35 1.4 for 3 months. In a pinch, I used my EOS 35mm F2 monted to a “dumb” PhotoDiox adapter. Manual focus but plenty sharp and a lot lot less expensive than spending more than $2,000 for a lens rental. As a sidebar, this 35 F2 was the first EOS AF lens I purchased in the early 1990’s! Still functions well and has never gone down in 25+ years of use.

Leica SL Type 601 + Cooke Speed Panchro 75mm T2.3 .................................

• Like 14

SL with Pentax 150-450mm (works fine :) )

• Like 11

i don´t want you to be bored, but once again SL with Pentax 150-450  at 450mm (no crop!)

• Like 9

I have one of the Russian 50 millimeters that Brian Sweeny put together for M-mount. It's a great one. I have to get that out on the SL. There's a trio of Meyer Optik Trioplans coming (soon I hope) that I look forward to shooting on the SL with its evf. 

My problem is, every time I think about putting a prime or manual zoom on the SL to go shoot, the 24-90m SL zoom is already on there, ready for almost anything. I'll just have to tell it, "No! Not today."

Edited by carl_b
  • Like 1

• jaapv unpinned this topic